Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Artist - A silent film released in 2011

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZaYoHR57Q-A?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZaYoHR57Q-A?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Starring: Jean Dujardin (Winner of Best Actor award from Cannes); Bérénice Bejo; John Goodman; James Cromwell; Penelope Ann Miller; Missi Pyle

Looks interesting.
Old 08-25-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Artist - A silent film released in 2011

I like it. If that gets a decent release I'll make an effort to see it.
Old 11-07-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

This film is getting a lot of positive buzz...the Weinsteins have picked it up and it might be in contention for some Oscars.
Old 11-07-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been anticipating this film for about a year! Can't wait, looks wonderful.
Old 11-07-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Wow. Pretty brave move.
Old 11-07-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meh. We've had talkies for quite some time now. Movies have evolved over time. No need to go backwards. Pass.
Old 11-07-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Even though it looks to be really well done, it's ultimately just a novelty. It'll get all kinds of buzz, critics will love it, film geeks will love it, it'll win several awards, and in a year no one will remember it.
Old 11-07-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Jean Dujardin was a comic genius in the OSS 117 films. This film is from the writer and director of those films, so I'm sold.
Old 11-07-11, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Even though it looks to be really well done, it's ultimately just a novelty. It'll get all kinds of buzz, critics will love it, film geeks will love it, it'll win several awards, and in a year no one will remember it.
True film lovers will remember it if it's good. I don't know what kind of morons you deal with but I tend to remember quality films over the years.

It's by no means a novelty either. I don't know how that makes any sense whatsoever.
Old 11-07-11, 09:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
This film is getting a lot of positive buzz...the Weinsteins have picked it up and it might be in contention for some Oscars.
any idea when the Weinsteins plan on releasing this?
Old 11-07-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Who cares what style the movie is in? A good movie is a good movie.
Old 11-07-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
any idea when the Weinsteins plan on releasing this?
November 23rd
Old 11-07-11, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
November 23rd
wide? or just NYC/LA?
Old 11-07-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Meh. We've had talkies for quite some time now. Movies have evolved over time. No need to go backwards. Pass.
[engage rant mode]

Except that some silent films made 80 years ago are just as advanced as films made today. They're different than today's films, yes, but they're still incredible pieces of filmmaking and storytelling.

It's true that cinema has evolved since the 1920s - however, remember that "evolution" is not a progressive thing, it is not a movement towards some perfected endpoint. It's merely change. Indeed, film has never even moved on a single trajectory at all - rather, it moves in a lot of different directions based on the era, and each represents a different form than anything that came before or since.

Though the cinema of the first two decades of the century can appear a bit flat by today's standards, by the 1920s filmmakers had gotten a much better grasp on effective moviemaking and could make dynamic films with an incredible range of style and technique.

That is to say, there have been great cinematic storytellers since near the beginning of cinema, and the best silent filmmakers (Murnau, Lang, Epstein, Dreyer, Ozu, Sternberg, Stroheim, Naruse, Vidor, Sjostrom, Dovzhenko) were masters of cinematic technique who easily rival any of the best filmmakers of today. Those filmmakers weren't doing their best with a primitive understanding of the artform - they were making films that still hold up to the best films being made today. 80 years later and no one has improved upon Sunrise or The Wind or The Fall of the House of Usher - other equally great films have come out, yes, but they aren't superior to those older films, they merely operate in very different modes (just as films 80 years from now will be very different, stylistically and otherwise, from the films being made today.)

Yes, some technologies have improved, some techniques have changed - but it's not as if everything being made today is somehow a culmination of and improvement on everything that's come before. The films being made today aren't a culmination of all the positive technological and storytelling advances of previous eras - rather, they emphasize certain aspects while neglecting others. And those aspects that are emphasized aren't necessarily more "relevant" to our times - they're just different. Films today focus on different things, tell stories in different ways (ways that aren't inherently better than the methods of 80 years ago.)

Which is all to say - films of the silent era still have an enormous amount to offer us, and a silent film made today isn't a step backward to a more primitive form.

Sorry, but the whole "film is getting better and better over time" argument gets on my nerves, as it represents a basic misunderstanding of storytelling and art, as well as a form of chronological snobbery.

[/rant]
Old 11-07-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
[engage rant mode]

Except that some silent films made 80 years ago are just as advanced as films made today. They're different than today's films, yes, but they're still incredible pieces of filmmaking and storytelling.

It's true that cinema has evolved since the 1920s - however, remember that "evolution" is not a progressive thing, it is not a movement towards some perfected endpoint. It's merely change. Indeed, film has never even moved on a single trajectory at all - rather, it moves in a lot of different directions based on the era, and each represents a different form than anything that came before or since.

Though the cinema of the first two decades of the century can appear a bit flat by today's standards, by the 1920s filmmakers had gotten a much better grasp on effective moviemaking and could make dynamic films with an incredible range of style and technique.

That is to say, there have been great cinematic storytellers since near the beginning of cinema, and the best silent filmmakers (Murnau, Lang, Epstein, Dreyer, Ozu, Sternberg, Stroheim, Naruse, Vidor, Sjostrom, Dovzhenko) were masters of cinematic technique who easily rival any of the best filmmakers of today. Those filmmakers weren't doing their best with a primitive understanding of the artform - they were making films that still hold up to the best films being made today. 80 years later and no one has improved upon Sunrise or The Wind or The Fall of the House of Usher - other equally great films have come out, yes, but they aren't superior to those older films, they merely operate in very different modes (just as films 80 years from now will be very different, stylistically and otherwise, from the films being made today.)

Yes, some technologies have improved, some techniques have changed - but it's not as if everything being made today is somehow a culmination of and improvement on everything that's come before. The films being made today aren't a culmination of all the positive technological and storytelling advances of previous eras - rather, they emphasize certain aspects while neglecting others. And those aspects that are emphasized aren't necessarily more "relevant" to our times - they're just different. Films today focus on different things, tell stories in different ways (ways that aren't inherently better than the methods of 80 years ago.)

Which is all to say - films of the silent era still have an enormous amount to offer us, and a silent film made today isn't a step backward to a more primitive form.

Sorry, but the whole "film is getting better and better over time" argument gets on my nerves, as it represents a basic misunderstanding of storytelling and art, as well as a form of chronological snobbery.

[/rant]
You could have saved yourself all the writing and just posted:
"METROPOLIS"
Old 11-07-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silent films have an extremely unique charm to them that films from other eras lack. Even films from the 30's and beyond can feel dated but something about silent films makes them timeless.

Oh and Louise Brooks is the most beautiful woman ever to put on film. And Renee Falconetti's performance in Joan of Arc is probably one of the all-time best acting performances. And then there's Charlie Chaplin... oh and Buster Keaton... I'll stop and just say that I love silent films very much.
Old 11-07-11, 11:24 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

This is screening at the Denver International Film Festival. I really want to see it but I am not willing to pay $35 to see it. I've already dropped over $200 to see movies and have to draw the line somewhere. I will catch it on dvd eventually.
Old 11-08-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wide? or just NYC/LA?
Limited release...not sure how many cities or screens though.
Old 11-08-11, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by bcd
This is screening at the Denver International Film Festival. I really want to see it but I am not willing to pay $35 to see it. I've already dropped over $200 to see movies and have to draw the line somewhere. I will catch it on dvd eventually.
damn Denver's Film Fest tix are THAT much - get out of here?? 'The Artist' tix at last weekend's Virginia Film Festival were under 15 bucks
Old 11-08-11, 11:36 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

damn Denver's Film Fest tix are THAT much - get out of here?? 'The Artist' tix at last weekend's Virginia Film Festival were under 15 bucks
Tickets are 13-15 for non members for most all of the screenings, but this is one of the few Red Carpet screenings that they are having at Opera House.
Old 11-29-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutely loved it! It brings you in and never lets up. Some tragic stuff is there, but it's a wonder to watch.

The dog is amazing! I usually only say this about female actors because they can use their facial expressions to greater effect, but Jean Dujardin has such a wonderfully expressive face - he's great.
Old 11-30-11, 12:09 AM

Tonight I had the opportunity to watch it again after having seen it a few weeks back. I was worried that the film wouldn't hold up on a second viewing, but I was still grinning ear to ear the entire time.

Here's a quick summary plus a link to my full review.

"The Artist is a niche film that I hope catches the attention of those who are looking to enjoy great cinema instead of just an entertaining movie. It’s intoxicating mixture of past with present technology makes it a cinematic wonder and is all the proof I need to know that as bad as some movies are there’s still magic to be found."

http://insidepulse.com/2011/11/13/the-artist-review/
Old 11-30-11, 11:57 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Has anyone seen the TV ads for this? It makes no mention of the fact that it's a silent film. I can't help but think that's a bad idea. It's better to sell it on its novelty than to hide the fact and suffer blowback by the audience when they get there and discover it's silent.
Old 11-30-11, 12:13 PM

^
I'm sure the vast majority of people who would even go to see this will either already know or will be pleasantly surprised by the revelation.
Old 11-30-11, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd hope so...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.