DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Star Trek Seasons Cheap on Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Star Trek Seasons Cheap on Amazon

Amazon is offering multiple Star Trek seasons on sale for around $31 - $32.49
a season. Includes TNG, Voyager and Deep Space Nine!
Old 08-22-11, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek Seasons Cheap on Amazon

Relatively speaking. Until they hit the $10 - $15 price range, I'm not buying.
Old 08-22-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Z-B
Relatively speaking. Until they hit the $10 - $15 price range, I'm not buying.
Then you'll never be buying.
Old 08-22-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, for $60, I got the whole ST:TNG series from the Go Hastings sale. That wouldn't even get me two seasons at this Amazon sale.
Old 08-22-11, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Yeah, but that's fine with me. I'm surprised Paramount hasn't budged much over the years in price.
Old 08-22-11, 11:24 PM
Zbu

Originally Posted by E-Z-B
Yeah, but that's fine with me. I'm surprised Paramount hasn't budged much over the years in price.
At this point it's far too late. You can watch everything except DS9 on Netflix and the entire run on Amazon Streaming. Paramount still thinks the franchise is a goldmine whose fans will buy season sets for any price, and they could have made a killing if they just ducked down and put out slimline sets for $20 apiece if not less. Not to mention the sets haven't changed much in the past few years, with all of the season sets having that excessive packaging that adds nothing.

I haven't even see Walmarts stocking the damn seasons. But that's Paramount's problem at this point. With Netflix, why bother with the seasons?
Old 08-23-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zbu
With Netflix, why bother with the seasons?
Extras?
Old 08-23-11, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Unless you were one of the lucky ones to find them at Big Lots for $10 last year
Old 08-23-11, 07:56 AM

True, this is about as low as the Star Trek seasons have gotten, but still way to much for shows that have been out so long. Gotta get to $20 or below before I get any more. Paramount has some weird, exaggerated sense of their worth. Anyway, I have all of Voyager (my average cost per season $17) and I figure I won't get it finished for 2-3 years. So DS9 and TNG can wait.
Old 08-23-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Zbu
With Netflix, why bother with the seasons?
Because Netflix availability is a fickle thing and stuff gets pulled from streaming all the time.
Old 08-23-11, 09:27 AM

I got Star Trek: TOS on BD for $36-$40 per season from my favorite store BB quite some time ago, so ~$32 for the DVDs doesn't seem that great. Given these BDs have been under $40 before, I suggest anyone who doesn't yet own ST:TOS wait for the BD sets to go on sale again.

I tried to get the ST:TNG DVD set for $60 from Gohastings 3 times, but I was unlucky each time falling victim to the cancel-happy inventory system.

Sadly I've never seen any of the other Star Trek series... not even a 1 second clip so I don't know who's in them or what they are about. How sad that there are more things to do than a person has enough time in a mere lifetime (well, if you work you have little time). I think I have a ST: Voyager season set unopened somewhere which I got from Big Lots for $3. If I ever see a ST:TNG complete series set for $60 or less, I'll grab it. Otherwise, I'm set on Star Trek unless I see these other unknown series for so cheap I can't resist them as blind buys.
Old 08-23-11, 02:39 PM

My favourite by far is DS9. $200 on Amazon is the best price I've seen.
Old 08-24-11, 07:43 AM

While I'm a big fan of Star Trek I still refuse to pay that kind of price.

The only Star Trek series I ever bought was The Animated Series and Season 1 of Voyager when Wal-Mart had them for around $15 each.

If they were $20 or less per season I would start to really buy these shows. If other sci-fi shows can be on sale for under $20 why can't the Star Trek ones.

It's the same reason why I won't buy the old Battlestar Galactica show on DVD, well over $50 for a show that lasted what one season is way too much.
Old 08-24-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Man, for $60, I got the whole ST:TNG series from the Go Hastings sale. That wouldn't even get me two seasons at this Amazon sale.
You're comparing Used to New, so that isn't a valid analogy... Obviously you got a good deal, but you can almost always get Used cheaper than New. It still isn't a valid price comparison.

I bought ALL of my Star Trek seasons from each Trek series NEW for $25 or less from B&N years ago, and was able to acquire most of the bonus discs for free. To me, they are well worth $25 because of the enormous amount of extra features. Netflix just isn't good enough to me. If you're a huge Trek fan like I am, then these are worth owning (with the exception of DS9 maybe, but some of those seasons were at Big Lots for $15, so more worth it)
Old 08-24-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
It's the same reason why I won't buy the old Battlestar Galactica show on DVD, well over $50 for a show that lasted what one season is way too much.
3-4 years ago, DD was selling it for under $20 for the longest time. That's where my friend and I bought ours. That's the set in the Cylon helmet shaped box.
Old 08-24-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The TNG set at gohastings was new, not used, but it's not like it was a standard deal we can expect to see again.

Another cheaper option is to go region free. I think most of the sets can be had for around $20 or less from Amazon UK.
Old 08-24-11, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Another cheaper option is to go region free. I think most of the sets can be had for around $20 or less from Amazon UK.

Yep. I've been keeping track of them in my cart. They usually vary between 11 pounds 16 pounds (currently at 11).

However they've put out some lovely UK complete series sets which vary between 110 pounds (TNG) and 140 (Voyager) so I'm waiting/hoping those will drop down to be what the individual seasons would be (like 77 pounds ideally).
Old 08-24-11, 09:50 AM

If only I had a time machine. I paid $90-$100 for every Star Trek season except for Voyager... the worst part is I have watched two episodes of TNG and one episode of DS9 so far.
Old 08-24-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The TNG set at gohastings was new, not used, but it's not like it was a standard deal we can expect to see again.

True, it was a new set, not used. Of course, with Go Hastings terrible packaging and monkeys that run their shipping, it looked pretty used and abused by the time it arrived at my door! (At least they gave me another $10 off the price for my trouble.)
Old 08-24-11, 11:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You're comparing Used to New, so that isn't a valid analogy... Obviously you got a good deal, but you can almost always get Used cheaper than New. It still isn't a valid price comparison.

I bought ALL of my Star Trek seasons from each Trek series NEW for $25 or less from B&N years ago, and was able to acquire most of the bonus discs for free. To me, they are well worth $25 because of the enormous amount of extra features. Netflix just isn't good enough to me. If you're a huge Trek fan like I am, then these are worth owning (with the exception of DS9 maybe, but some of those seasons were at Big Lots for $15, so more worth it)
I remember when people were willing to pay $50 bucks on Ebay for a single bonus disc. lol
Old 08-25-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I stand corrected. That is a very good deal then. But yes, likely not one you will see again...
Old 08-25-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I remember when people were willing to pay $50 bucks on Ebay for a single bonus disc. lol
I should have sold mine then! I may have possibly made a backup of them already.