Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirectTv Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 10:24 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirectTv Owners

I'm contemplating getting Direct TV and was just looking for some feedback..

What kind of plans do you guys have? And how much does it cost you a month approx?

I currently have Time Warner and just have the basic cable package and Turbo speed Internet and it runs me about $90 total.

I know that DirectTV offers internet access too, but not sure how much it costs and the speed involved.

Looking at the site they list the Choice Xtra package that gets the NFL package for $45 a month with whatever offers (HD DVR etc) they have on the site.

Is it possible to get a package with the Choice Xtra and Internet for around $100 a month, or is that asking too much?
Old 08-20-11, 11:08 PM

Re: DirectTv Owners

That price is for a limited time. Once all the new customer discounts expire you're looking at closer to $90/mo for the TV service alone (Choice Xtra), including DVR service, HD access, and a service plan for the hardware. That being said, there are always discounts and credits to be had, but you have be very proactive in asking for them.

Also, I'm unaware of DirecTV offering internet service, but I could be wrong. I do know they partner with Qwest (CenturyLink).
Old 08-21-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Yeah, you're looking at about $90-100/month; a lot will depend on how many receivers you have, if you get the protection plan, DVR service, etc.

And premium channels like HBO and Showtime will be extra, in addition to any sports packages you might buy.

I don't get their internet service or whatever, so I can't comment on that.

Be aware, though, that the cheap rates they dangle in front of you are only for a few months and after that you'll be paying the full price. Also be aware that they'll lock you into a contract for service for two years, and that if your DVR shits out and you have to replace it before you contract is up, you get locked into a new two year contract.

Your bill will probably be something like this:

Choice Package w/DVR - $72.99
HD Access - $10.00
Additional receivers - $5.99 (If you have more than one television hooked up)

And if you get premium channels (HBO, etc.) those run about $12.00 each.
Old 08-21-11, 08:54 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

has any existing customer tried to get the NFL sunday ticket for free (or reduced price) with any amount of luck?
Old 08-21-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
has any existing customer tried to get the NFL sunday ticket for free (or reduced price) with any amount of luck?
After being a customer for a few years, they offered it to me last year along with all the premium channels for $10 more a month for the 5 months. So I bit. Since they auto-renew it every year, I called to cancel it for the upcoming season. I tried my hardest to get a bigger discount but they wouldn't move an inch. I kept the auto-renew on so I'll try again next year.
Old 08-21-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I got it for 50% off (so $167). That was on my first try. I probably could have done better if I tried again, but figured that was a pretty good deal.

I have Choice Xtra + HDDVR. It's $82.99 + tax + $6 for each additional receiver/DVR.

So after your introductory period, it would be pretty tough to have this and internet for $100. Maybe if you don't do a DVR package you might be able to swing it.
Old 08-21-11, 10:52 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Appreciate all the input and it looks like I might be leaning towards just staying as I am.

I checked the AT&T site and can actually go thru them with DiectTv and book a package but upon some research found that their Internet is actually pretty crappy strength wise.

With the Time Warner Turbo Boost or whatever they call it, I'm getting 19.47/Mbps whereas from what I read the DirectTv/AT&T internet coverage is a max of 6Mbps for about the same price.
Old 08-21-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

BTW, if you just call your provider and say you're going to cancel and go with DTV (mention their free Sunday Ticket offer), I'll bet they give you a good deal just to stay. I used to do this all the time with Comcrap even though I couldn't even get DTV (they didn't know that). And I do it with DTV vice versa to get discounts (such as my ST discount above).
Old 08-21-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got Directv a few weeks ago to get the Ticket for free. I think for 2 years I should be under what my cable costs were. Plus, I always get the Center Ice package and most of the games are also in HD on Directv where cable was just one game.

If you have a Costco membership, make sure you route thru them and you can get a $180 gift card for signing up. Also, make sure you do the referral credit too. It will save you an additional $100 over 10 months. If you don't have anyone to refer you, I can give you my account number and we both get the $100 bucks (shameless promotion but I used my mother in law's account and got her the credit when I signed up).

Lastly, sign up online. The deal is better there.
Old 08-22-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I got a $250 credit and free To Go, so I'm paying about $70 for Sunday Ticket this year. Been with DirecTV for about 10 years.
Old 08-23-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I got $40/month in discounts for the six months they are charging me for ST, so total cost will be around $100. But the discounts broke down as $20, $5, $5, $5, & $5. I get a bunch of premiums, so half the credits were on those (which I assume if I didn't get them I wouldn't have gotten those discounts). I also got ST to go for free just by asking for it.
Old 08-23-11, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
BTW, if you just call your provider and say you're going to cancel and go with DTV (mention their free Sunday Ticket offer), I'll bet they give you a good deal just to stay. I used to do this all the time with Comcrap even though I couldn't even get DTV (they didn't know that). And I do it with DTV vice versa to get discounts (such as my ST discount above).
Speaking of that, care to explain your 'location'? (Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)) Seems a bit...um...dated? I mean, how long do you intend to persecute those poor people? You know, the ones who gave you ST for 50% off just because you asked for it?
Old 08-23-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I keep it there to remind me how much being stuck with Comcrap sucked. I've had DTV for 4 years since I last moved. Plus general laziness.
Old 08-23-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There IS no internet service with DirecTV. Additionally the only way to get anything "on demand" from them is to have your box hooked to your high speed internet connection and download the program you want to watch before you can watch it.
Old 08-23-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I don't consider DTV's OD to be real On Demand. Cable and FIOS have DTV licked on that feature.
Old 08-24-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Sunday Ticket for $20 off for 6 months. I don't ever threaten to cancel. I just called up tonight to see if I could get a discount. I think this was the same promo I got last year. The guy first offered $5 off, then $10 off. Then I specifically asked if there was a $20 off promo and he had me on hold for a minute and then came back and said he found one.

Watching the 49ers on a weekly basis can be very painful, so I'll take whatever discounts I can get.
Old 08-29-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Has anyone here added the Whole Home DVR setup to an existing system? I want to do it, but they want $300 to upgrade my upstairs DVR to an HD-DVR and set up the WHD system. Seems a bit pricey to me. Wondering if I should try to negotiate a little. The mouth-breather I talked to the other day seemed un-willing to budge on the price...
Old 08-29-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Try another mouth-breather. Some will be more generous than others when it comes to offering deals.
Old 08-30-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Has anyone here added the Whole Home DVR setup to an existing system? I want to do it, but they want $300 to upgrade my upstairs DVR to an HD-DVR and set up the WHD system. Seems a bit pricey to me. Wondering if I should try to negotiate a little. The mouth-breather I talked to the other day seemed un-willing to budge on the price...
I'm not sure you can mix SD DVRs with HD-DVRs in terms of sharing programming. I haven't tried it with mine, but how would the SD DVR convert/play the HD recordings? Setting up the system should be a no-brainer if you have two wireless gaming adapters connected.
Old 08-30-11, 10:49 AM

I understand I need to upgrade the receiver to HD, but $300 seems a bit steep.

Ah, so they are connecting the receivers to my wireless network? Their info doesn't explain that very well. Or I missed it. Anyway, still seems pricey to me. I may call back and see if they'll do any kind of deal, or let me install it myself or something.
Old 09-02-11, 08:55 AM

Just came back to say that I did get a super nice CSR on the phone the other day and she got me the HD-DVR for my bedroom and Whole Home DVR installation for $49.

Only bad part is that they can't install it until 9/19. Apparently we only have like 1 tech for the entire state or something.