Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Machine Gun Preacher (9/23/11, Dir: M. Forster/G. Butler, M. Monaghan, M. Shannon)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Machine Gun Preacher (9/23/11, Dir: M. Forster/G. Butler, M. Monaghan, M. Shannon)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<object width="600" height="391"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/44302"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/44302" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="391" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-18-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Machine Gun Preacher (9/23/11, Dir: M. Forster/G. Butler, M. Monaghan, M. Shannon

that doesn't look preachy at all.

Romper Stomper meets Hotel Rwanda. I'm not sold, even though I like Marc Forster. I loved Quatum of Solace.
Old 08-19-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Machine Gun Preacher (9/23/11, Dir: M. Forster/G. Butler, M. Monaghan, M. Shannon

Looks good. Gerard Butler has put out some junk lately -- glad to see he's back to the drama / action roles he's made for.
Old 08-19-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks real good.
Old 08-19-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This wasn't what I was hoping it'd be. Looks decent.
Old 08-19-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Liked it better when Jack Bauer did it at the pre-season of 24 Season 9. Plus Marc Forster? The guy who made the most boring, forgettable, anti-Bond movie of all time that the producers of this film chose to credit Kite Runner in the trailer instead of Quantum of Suck? pass.
Old 08-19-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This wasn't what I was hoping it'd be.
From the title I was expecting either a Western or some kinda grindhouse exploitation flick.
Old 08-19-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Gerard Butler would've been in "The Next Three Days" instead of Russell Crowe, I can't watch it without thinking how good Butler would've been in the lead. Anyhow, this looks pretty good, I'm just hoping it isn't a 3 hour epic or anything.
Old 08-19-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't know what it is about an American accent that forces Butler to talk out of the side of his mouth, but for some reason it's distracting.
Old 08-19-11, 03:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yeah, I thought this was going to be some sort of Hobo with a Shotgun type pseudo-grindhouse production
Old 08-20-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Although I'm glad it's not another Hobo with a Shotgun, I was hoping for a Western. This looks decent but nothing special.
Old 09-23-11, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This movie is getting shredded by the critics. Very disappointing.
Old 09-23-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

16% on RT

Also, more evidence that World War Z will suck
Old 09-23-11, 11:14 AM
Banned

still better than Abduction.
Old 10-01-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Saw this last night. Thought it was good (not great), running time was a bit too long, can be depressing as it shows the suffering that is occurring in the Sudan (with some graphic scenes). I give it a B
Old 10-12-11, 11:42 AM

this movie was really good.

another great film by Marc Forster - this did remind me a bit of The Kite Runner, another quality movie.

Gerard Butler gives the performance of his career, and the story is powerful and poignant.

What's at the heart & soul of this film is a meditation on personal redemption, and also on justice and righteousness.

Great stuff, highly recommended. This is NOT a Tarantino grindhouse feature lol. This is a serious and moving film. THere wasn't a dry eye in the house when the light came up, everyone stood up and clapped.

Go see it, and ignore all the biased leftist reviews that are trying to smother this film.

Last edited by IstvanTheHun; 06-13-12 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
that doesn't look preachy at all.

Romper Stomper meets Hotel Rwanda. I'm not sold, even though I like Marc Forster. I loved Quatum of Solace.
Pretty good assessment. I felt it was more The Killing Fields meets Hotel Rwanda meets The Mission meets Tears of the Sun. lol.

And I agree, Marc Forster is one of the best directors around today. His film are generally never less than excellent. Quantum of Solace was by far the best crafted Bond film yet.
Old 10-12-11, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
Looks good. Gerard Butler has put out some junk lately -- glad to see he's back to the drama / action roles he's made for.
you'll be pleased - this is actually a major performance from him. He deserves and Oscar nomination. a very powerful portrayal.
Old 10-12-11, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've read a variety of reviews, all mostly negative.

and all have a common-denominator: they can't actually criticize much of the film, they just dislike it because of some whacked left-wing bias. Even Roger Ebert couldn't say much about the film except he had trouble digesting the spiritual themes/conflicts of the movie.

Some idiot even called it "racist christian republican propaganda". laughable; these pseudo-intellectuals always fall prey to their own prejudices and political biases.

The review here, by Jason Bailey, was moderate, but still biased. While his essay reeked with liberal affront, he did actually discuss the one flaw of the film, which is the time compression of the story. I agree, it was a bit wierd how the film jumped ahead in time so often, but it was a necessary flaw, otherwise the film would easily be 4 hours long.

but other, like Eber, didnt bother much to analys the cinematical content of the film, and just blathered and ranted about Christians.
Old 10-13-11, 10:49 PM

I watched this last week, and thought it was ok. It started out with a lot of cliches, and even though it is based on a true story, made me kind of roll my eyes. Picked up around the middle, but the movie felt way longer than it was and overstayed its welcome.

Butler did a good job, and I like Marc Forster so I was mostly into the movie, just kind of underwhelmed. They really over did it with all the scenes of Butler saving people, lost its power around the fourth time it happened.

**1/2 out of ****
Old 10-13-11, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by IstvanTheHun
I've read a variety of reviews, all mostly negative.

and all have a common-denominator: they can't actually criticize much of the film, they just dislike it because of some whacked left-wing bias. Even Roger Ebert couldn't say much about the film except he had trouble digesting the spiritual themes/conflicts of the movie.

Some idiot even called it "racist christian republican propaganda". laughable; these pseudo-intellectuals always fall prey to their own prejudices and political biases.

The review here, by Jason Bailey, was moderate, but still biased. While his essay reeked with liberal affront, he did actually discuss the one flaw of the film, which is the time compression of the story. I agree, it was a bit wierd how the film jumped ahead in time so often, but it was a necessary flaw, otherwise the film would easily be 4 hours long.

but other, like Eber, didnt bother much to analys the cinematical content of the film, and just blathered and ranted about Christians.
Yea, Ebert's review was like that. I watched it with someone who doesn't believe in God, and she said the movie kind of lost her when Butler said God spoke to him before he went to Africa. It seemed a little preachy at the beginning, and even though they show him actually preaching, they dialed it back as the movie went on, so it didn't bother me.
Old 10-13-11, 11:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
yeah I noticed that Landmark Bethesda dropped this like a lead balloon - guess everyone read the negative reviews and didn't bother trekking to the theater to see this.

I used to like Gerard Butler - but the roles he's picked recently all seem the same.

Last edited by Giles; 10-13-11 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IstvanTheHun, it sounds like the most defined bias is the one you have yourself. Someone isn't a "whacked left-winger" simply because they disagree with you.

It's a shame about how quickly this film vanished. I quite wanted to see it.
Old 10-14-11, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
IstvanTheHun, it sounds like the most defined bias is the one you have yourself. Someone isn't a "whacked left-winger" simply because they disagree with you.

It's a shame about how quickly this film vanished. I quite wanted to see it.
perhaps I was a little harsh, using words like "whacked", but I just wanted to emphasize how alot of reviewers are letting political biases dictate what they write about the movie.

I am not a professional reviewer, hence my bias is that, my bias. I am not being paid to objectively critique cinema. Roger Ebert is. And he wasn't particularly fair in his review, because he disagreed with Childers himself, and not the movie.
Old 10-14-11, 09:32 AM
Banned

I saw it. It was cliche as hell. Really wanted to like it. Had some good moments but it's mediocre scripting killed it. It's average. A bit too preachy for it's own good..which in the way it was done went to the cliche fast.

Could have been a much much better film but...to me..it's the cliche factor that kills this movie the most. I know and understand who the character is but..it's done poorly. Like it was said..it really makes you roll your eyes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.