Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

XM/Sirius drops BBC Radio One

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In a totally bewildering... and annoying decision XM/Sirius decided to drop BBC Radio 1 from it's channel lineup, here's there explanation from an email I sent to them:

Thank you for contacting SiriusXM regarding BBC Radio 1 Ch. 15 being no longer available to SiriusXM. We understand your concern and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We think you may come to enjoy similar music and hits previously heard on BBC Radio 1, on some of our other channels. You can hear Top 40 hit music on SiriusXM Hits 1 (Ch. 2) or 20 On 20 (Ch. 3), new alternative rock on Alt Nation (Ch. 36), and R&B Hits can be heard on The Heat (Ch. 47). For a British perspective on the news you can listen to BBC World Service (Ch. 118).

my retort - Top 40 what? Top 40 US not 'UK'

XM-U (36) again is slanted to US alternative not to the emerging UK or European scene

BPM (51) is so biased towards trance, techno and house; electro, drum and bass, dubstep and all but ignored

I am more than peeved over this corporate boneheaded decision to up and boot Radio 1.
Old 08-11-11, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: XM/Sirius drops BBC Radio One

It was a dumb loop that droned on about redirecting to different stations. I went to each station and heard nothing from BBC. That station was how I got into new music, and I don't know how I'm going to find the new music from there. I agree with you Giles. Any suggestions how we find the UK music?
Old 08-11-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

It's not UK music, but I'd really, really, really recommend CBC Radio 3, and that still is available on Sirius XM. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant playlists and mostly stuff you can't really hear anywhere else. That and Little Steven's Underground Garage are the two best stations on satellite radio.
Old 08-11-11, 09:39 AM

sorry, but going off a tangent here, but they also dropped Cinemagic
Old 08-11-11, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's not UK music, but I'd really, really, really recommend CBC Radio 3, and that still is available on Sirius XM. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant playlists and mostly stuff you can't really hear anywhere else. That and Little Steven's Underground Garage are the two best stations on satellite radio.
any idea which channel it is, I'm not seeing it.
Old 08-11-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

CBC Radio 3 is on channel 152.
Old 08-11-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I found out about this yesterday and was royally ticked off. I sent them an e-mail as well and received a canned response over night.

There is a Facebook page that is collection members and providing a lot of information and updates. Apparently a lot of the Radio 1 DJs aren't too thrilled about it either.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveRadio1in...merica?sk=wall

They have listed some phone numbers on there as well. If I'm going to call I'd like to speak to somebody who can actually solicit and process the feedback instead of giving me some canned response.

Some sort of page set up as a petition as well. http://www.iwantmyradio1.com/
Old 08-11-11, 09:59 AM

Sirius XM Pulls the Plug on BBC Radio 1
August 10, 2011 (3:45 pm) Charles
Although it has not officially been announced by Sirius XM, it has recently been confirmed that BBC Radio 1 has been dropped from the Sirius XM lineup. After their six year run, a recent announcement from the press office of BBC Worldwide confirms the fans worst fears.

“The BBC’s commercial arm BBC Worldwide has been in partnership with SIRIUS Satellite Radio to broadcast Radio 1 on their main network, since 2005.* This agreement has now unfortunately come to an end and BBC Worldwide are in current discussions with the satellite radio station to find ways to continue to bring popular music channel, BBC Radio 1, to the US audience. We will keep you posted.”

For the past 24 hours my inbox has been overflowing with irate fans who simply wanted an explanation or a little warning. Those same fans have since brought the fight to both twitter (#bringbackBBCR1) and the Sirius XM Facebook page (almost all the comments) to voice their displeasure. The good news here (if you believe the press release) is that all hope is not lost.

Obviously you can’t keep everyone happy all the time but, a little heads up to those loyal subscribers who were completely confused when they flipped on their Sirius XM radios on Monday morning, might have been nice. This isn’t the first time fans have had to tune in to learn their favorite station has been taken off the air but, I do hope it is the last.
Old 08-11-11, 10:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's not UK music, but I'd really, really, really recommend CBC Radio 3
Americans listen to the CBC?!?!

I agree, Radio 3 is a fantastic station.
Old 08-11-11, 10:34 AM

Something called studio 54 radio coming 8/15 may be the replacement.
Old 08-11-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can listen to all BBC Radio channels on my iPhone TuneIn Radio app.
Old 08-11-11, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by sniper007
Something called studio 54 radio coming 8/15 may be the replacement.
yeah, that's what's up on XM/Sirius' website it stating - phooey!

might have to plunge and get an IPhone now - question though, I assume it's real time and five hours ahead - right?
Old 08-11-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
yeah, that's what's up on XM/Sirius' website it stating - phooey!

might have to plunge and get an IPhone now - question though, I assume it's real time and five hours ahead - right?
Correct. The beauty of the Sirius feed was the 5 hour delay so it was if you were listening in the UK.
Old 08-11-11, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
I found out about this yesterday and was royally ticked off. I sent them an e-mail as well and received a canned response over night.

There is a Facebook page that is collection members and providing a lot of information and updates. Apparently a lot of the Radio 1 DJs aren't too thrilled about it either.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveRadio1in...merica?sk=wall

They have listed some phone numbers on there as well. If I'm going to call I'd like to speak to somebody who can actually solicit and process the feedback instead of giving me some canned response.

Some sort of page set up as a petition as well. http://www.iwantmyradio1.com/

all you guys who have facebook accounts need to log in and 'like' the facebook link.

and more importantly all with XM/Sirius accounts really need to complain that a perfect decent radio station was off'ed for some stupid disco channel.

http://www.siriusxm.com/feedback
Old 08-11-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And then maybe 1st Wave can change back to the format Fred had on XM. Frustrating there as well.
Old 08-11-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
And then maybe 1st Wave can change back to the format Fred had on XM. Frustrating there as well.
...and I'd love to see something more like Fungus replace Faction, which is...ack.
Old 08-11-11, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
and XM's 'The Move' was far superior to Sirius' 'Electric Area' channel
Old 08-11-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

WTF????!!!??

That sucks!
Old 08-13-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

That's a shame. I don't have Sirius, but a friend of mine does in his car and we'd listen to the BBC sometimes. It was a fun listen on Saturday nights. Of course, though it also has its share of crap ("Crazy Frog", anyone?), I've always been partial to UK Top 40 than our own and found it a bit more respectable.

I was just going to post about how I get the BBC on my TuneIn app. Before you drop all of that money on an iPhone, there's an identical Android app.
Old 08-14-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Now that really sucks!

I just renewed my XM/Sirius contract because they gave me a sub for $77 when I was going to cancel. Since it worked out to around $13 bucks for both of my radios, I kept it. But with them canceling Cinemagic, it really makes me reconsider. It was one of the few stations worth having since it was so unique.

I liked BBC Radio as well but can't say I really listened to it that much to miss it.
Old 08-15-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's still available on the online version and iPhone/Android App.
Old 08-16-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well they appear to be bringing it back, but online only, with the exception of a few "events" throughout the year to the radio. http://investor.sirius.com/releasede...leaseID=599576

I'd say this is marginally better than nothing. Sure they'll be time shifting it again, but what good does this do me in the car? That's the entire point of satellite radio!!

I was holding off on writing to those executive e-mail addresses, but I will write something and include this latest development in my complaint.