Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking (up?) Benjamin

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Breaking (up?) Benjamin

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 04:12 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking (up?) Benjamin

Link
A rock band from Luzerne County that rose to platinum fame on the billboard charts could be breaking up.

Breaking Benjamin is now locked in a legal battle over a dispute between its founder and leader singer and two other members of the band.

At KRZ Studios in Pittston Township, the top news on the Jumping Jeff Walker and Amanda radio show was that local rock band Breaking Benjamin may be heading for a break up.

Walker, a long time area DJ, said this news isn't exactly shocking.

"Obviously something in this band wasn't clicking," said Walker. "I've heard stories for a year that this was going to happen."

According to court documents lead singer and founder, Benjamin Burnley, fired his guitarist, Aaron Fincke, and bassist, Mark Klepaski, after learning they released an unauthorized remix of the band's hit song "Blow Me Away."

Burnley is now seeking at least $250,000 in damages and exclusive rights to the band's name.

"It happens a lot. You see a band become so popular and some of the members will have a God complex or get a little in over their heads which sounds like what happened with them," said Curtis Rost.

Joe Nardone, owner of the Gallery of Sound music stores, said having a local band become so successful has been good for his business too.

The band even did autograph signings at his stores during album releases.

"We did midnight sales. We were there until 4 a.m. We did a midnight sale, they stayed, there was a thousand kids at the store, just a thousand in one night," said Nardone.

Nardone said the loss of the band would be a loss for this community.

The band's chart topping hits and sales in the hundreds of thousands have been a source of pride for this area.

"That's a lot for anybody, it just happened to be a bunch of guys from around town," said Nardone.

Benjamin Burnley's attorney told the Associated Press, "The relationship between Mr. Burnley and the other two members of the band has ended. Mr. Burnley intends on moving forward using the name Breaking Benjamin and the band will continue. It just won't continue in its prior configuration."
Besides maybe VanHalen, has any band broken up and had the success they had before?
Old 08-07-11, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Breaking (up?) Benjamin

Good riddance to shit music.
Old 04-11-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock...ming-next-week

Breaking Benjamin returns this summer with a new album called Dark Before Dawn on June 23rd. The follow-up to 2009's Dear Agony will be preceded by a single called "Failure," which is scheduled to arrive at rock radio the week of March 23rd. The new single and album follow a long period of inactivity for the band during which songwriter, frontman and sole original member Ben Burnley battled health issues and was engaged in legal action against two former members.

Burnley unveiled Breaking Benjamin 2.0 last year, with the lineup consisting of drummer Shaun Foist, bassist Aaron Bruch, former Red guitarist Jasen Rauch and ex-Adelitas Way guitarist Keith Wallen.

The group reportedly began recording its fifth album late last year. Not surprisingly, Burnley told us a while back that he's a perfectionist when it comes to making music: "I'd say every song that I write, I lose a little bit more hair (laughs). You know, it is a stressful thing, but you have a standard that you put yourself through being the singer, the songwriter and the performer all in one, and you have to be a little bit of a perfectionist. I think every musician is like that. I don't know anybody that's really not."

After playing a handful of shows last month, Breaking Benjamin will hit the road this spring and summer for a mix of festivals, radio concerts and headlining dates, beginning on April 17th in Texas.

Breaking Benjamin initially went on hiatus in 2010 while Burnley dealt with his illness.

Following the release of a greatest hits album by the band's label, Burnley accused former bassist Mark Klepaski and guitarist Aaron Fink of approving the set as well as a new remix of "Blow Me Away" without his permission.

That touched off a legal fight in which Burnley went to court against Fink and Klepaski over who had the rights to the band's name. Burnley declared himself the legal victor in April 2013 and announced plans to continue under the Breaking Benjamin name.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2B8bXYXTb-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-11-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Hooray! Great to see them back.
Old 04-12-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-13-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

This new one is kinda catchy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7qrRzNidzIc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>