Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Smiths box coming soon

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got this from Pitchfork

As the Morrissey fan site Morrissey-Solo points out, Rhino is preparing to release a gigantic box set containing basically everything the Smiths ever did. The set, titled The Smiths Complete - Deluxe Collectors Box Set, features remastered versions of eight albums (on CD and vinyl), as well as reproduced versions of 25 (yes, you read that correctly, 25) 7" singles, and all sorts of other stuff. Seriously, it's gigantic. I's limited to 3000 copies worldwide and expected to ship October 3.

Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr and Frank Arkwright remastered all the music from its original tape sources. The set includes all four of the band's studio albums (1984's The Smiths, 1985's Meat Is Murder, 1986's The Queen Is Dead, 1987's Strangeways, Here We Come) alongside the 1988 live LP Rank and the compilations Hatful of Hollow (1984), The World Won't Listen (1987), and Louder Than Bombs (1987). All are included on mini-LP gatefold-style CDs and 180-gram vinyl.

It also contains 25 7" singles. And as if that wasn't enough, there's also a 36" x 24" poster of the band's album and single cover art, The Complete Picture DVD of their music videos, an eight-page 12" booklet of expanded liner notes, 12" prints of the cover art for all eight albums, and a code to digitally download the whole shebang. The Rhino site lists all of the 7" singles included in the set here.

The eight albums will also be available as a CD box set and a limited edition vinyl box set.

looks like a solid release. I only own their first three albums and Rank, so I want this. I'm sure it costs an arm and a leg. Glad to see the albums getting reissued on vinyl. Might pick that up instead.

Also, would it have killed them to include a DVD of one of their live shows? The bootlegs I have are all sourced from X-gen VHS.
Old 07-27-11, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: New Smiths box coming soon

Where can I order? I have the remastered version of The Queen Is Dead on vinyl and it sounds very good.
Old 07-28-11, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the complete set here - http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/product...xset_39767.htm - about $355 (Ltd 3000)

and the vinyl set here - http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/product...xset_39766.htm - about $212 (Ltd 1000)

unless i'm reading the website wrong, the complete set comes with the vinyl. Can you help me clarify?
Old 07-28-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I may be in for the cd-only box, if the price is reasonable and the reviews are good regarding sound.
Old 07-29-11, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I may be in for the cd-only box, if the price is reasonable and the reviews are good regarding sound.

Well that's the thing....we won't know until it's already out.

I heard they released another best of comp not too long ago, and the reviews about the sound quality from some Amazon reviewers were less than favorable. If that's true, I hope they won't be using those remasters.
Old 07-29-11, 08:17 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I have everything they did on vinyl already*, so I don't know if I'm the market for this.

*A few 12" singles excepted. Very few. I was kinda obsessive about things in the '80s.
Old 07-29-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a great deal of the singles are going to repeat themselves, and are included on either Louder than Bombs or The World Wont Listen, which is essentially the same disc (though they've included both).

however, I am very interested in owning all the live tracks included on the singles. The ones from the Meat is Murder era.
Old 07-29-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This is something that I have wanted for a long time and now that it will come to fruition I can't help but feel a bit cheated with this set. My tone has changed ever since the amazing bootleg, "The Smiths:Unreleased Demos and Instrumentals" was released last year.

That being said, I feel that the "classic" compilation albums that are being included no longer serve a purpose. New compilations need to be created that contain the songs we've heard before (w/o repetition between albums like LTB and TWWL has) alongside demos that haven't been officially released. An expanded, "Rank" with the songs Morrissey cut from the album need to be reinstated to have a complete edition. This is my idea of a Box set:

Disc 1: "The Smiths
Disc 2: "The Smiths" Singles, B-sides, Demos, Live tracks(Peel Sessions)
Disc 3: "Meat Is Murder"
Disc 4: "Meat Is Murder" Singles, B-sides, Demos, Live tracks
Disc 5: "The Queen Is Dead"
Disc 6: "The Queen Is Dead" Singles, B-sides, Demos, Live tracks
Disc 7: "Strangeways, Here We Come"
Disc 8: "Strangeways, Here We Come" Singles, B-sides, Demos, Live tracks
Disc 9: "Rank" (disc 1)
Disc 10:"Rank" (disc 2)

This is definitive with EVERYTHING released. I know the "Classic" compilation albums are sentimental to people, but last year's bootleg made their flaws evident that they are not definitive. I'll probably buy the CD Box set but with a yearning for more.
Old 07-29-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is a most excellent remastered version of that bootleg floating around, in lossless. Plus, better and more complete versions of the troy tate sessions have been found

I agree that Rank should include the 6 songs cut. Thank Your Lucky Stars (bootleg) is an excellent companion to that release, imo.
Old 07-29-11, 05:25 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
the complete set here - http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/product...xset_39767.htm - about $355 (Ltd 3000)

and the vinyl set here - http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/product...xset_39766.htm - about $212 (Ltd 1000)

unless i'm reading the website wrong, the complete set comes with the vinyl. Can you help me clarify?
Rhino won't be selling this in the US?
Old 07-29-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
An expanded, "Rank" with the songs Morrissey cut from the album need to be reinstated to have a complete edition.
Completely agree. Including a (hopefully) well remaster version of "Rank" is great and all, but not reinstating the omitted songs seems like a major missed opportunity.

There's even some poorly shot footage of the "Rank" concert with re-synced audio on YouTube that has some of the missing songs, such as this footage of "How Soon Is Now?" from the concert:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KmXAnB0mEvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-29-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Rhino won't be selling this in the US?
I guess not. Not surprising since it's going to be such a limited run.

So I guess the youtube videos means the missing Rank songs surfaced? I thought they never saw the light of day.
Old 07-29-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

So I guess the youtube videos means the missing Rank songs surfaced? I thought they never saw the light of day.
The guy who has the YouTube channel says he synced the video to the BBC Digital Radio broadcast of the concert, so the whole recording is out there, somewhere.
Old 07-29-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wasn't hard to find it.

they broadcasted There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Frankly Mr. Shankley, and How Soon Is Now?

three tracks missing from Rank. They broadcasted most of the show, excluding two tracks from the official release. So it's still missing four songs. This recording is the source for Rank so the quality is the same. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

note: the broadcast was lossy

edit: sent you a PM

Last edited by AnonomusBob15; 07-29-11 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 02:32 AM
Banned by request

I guess not. Not surprising since it's going to be such a limited run.
Does anyone know if Rhino charges your credit card when you order or when the item ships?

Edit: It appears they charge upon order. I went ahead and put an order in.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-30-11 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
"The Smiths:Unreleased Demos and Instrumentals" was released last year.

I never buy these special box sets simply because of the price. BUT, thanks for mentioning this bootleg set. Drool.
Old 08-28-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The CD only box set is pretty cheap on Amazon, so I'll bite

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Complet...4549886&sr=8-3
Old 08-28-11, 12:47 PM
Banned by request

I had to cancel my order for the big box because a friend of mine is getting married and I needed the funds to go to that. Oh well.
Old 09-24-11, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1st review of the box set, by Uncut:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/the_smiths/reviews/15124

"We are told that the eight albums on Complete (four studio, three compilations, one live) have been personally remastered by Johnny Marr, though it’s likely that the principal work was done by engineer Frank Arkwright, who remastered the 2008 compilation The Sound Of The Smiths. That album divided opinion between fans who enjoyed hearing Rourke’s bass loud and clear, and those who felt the songs sounded too harsh. These new remasters (which are due to be released individually in the spring of 2012) seem ‘softer’, less abrasive, not so teeth-rattling."

This gives me a glimmer of hope that the remastering on this set is decent.
Old 09-24-11, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

I have the remastered Queen Is Dead on vinyl and it sounds excellent.
Old 09-25-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hatful of Hollow is one of my favorite compilations ever. I'd love to have it remastered.
Old 09-25-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dammit. I really wasn't going to give in, but all the reviews I've been reading seem to speak positively of the remastering process. Looks like I might not be able to wait for Christmas on this one.
Old 09-26-11, 02:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Does anyone know if Rhino charges your credit card when you order or when the item ships?

Edit: It appears they charge upon order. I went ahead and put an order in.
Import duty?
Originally Posted by Supermallet
I had to cancel my order for the big box because a friend of mine is getting married and I needed the funds to go to that. Oh well.
Duty free!

PS) I hope your friend realises that he'll really need to make a go of this marriage to repay your sacrifice!
Old 10-11-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got the CD set of Complete today from Rhino UK. I guess I should have gotten it from Amazon for a little cheaper but I wasn't sure it would be in the mini-LP style that I like for whatever reason. I guess it is the same though.

The mini-LPs don't come in the mylar baggie sort of thing most do. They are just stacked up in a flimsy white box that could have been creatively executed better.
Old 10-11-11, 06:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by benedict
Import duty?Duty free!

PS) I hope your friend realises that he'll really need to make a go of this marriage to repay your sacrifice!
It's a she and yes she does.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.