Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Lightning Deal 7/24/2011 10am PDT --- STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES -> 13.99

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon Lightning Deal 7/24/2011 10am PDT --- STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES -> 13.99

Old 07-24-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

55% claimed as of 11:00 PDT
Old 07-24-11, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Lightning Deal 7/24/2011 10am PDT --- STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES -> 1

Sold out.
Old 07-24-11, 05:16 PM

Re: Amazon Lightning Deal 7/24/2011 10am PDT --- STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES -> 1

Great price on a cool set. I paid almost $38 when it was released.

Unfortunately, it's also a really AWFUL show. I'm 40, so I grew up with my share of terrible animated shows, but if this weren't Star Trek, no one would be buying it. The animation is bad, the actors voices are literally phoned in (I'm pretty sure ALL the dialog was recorded seperately) and the character interaction is non-existant.

I think the main issue isn't that the writing is particularly bad, it's just that you can't tell a good Trek story in a 26 minute window. Since the show was targeted towards kids (duh) we are left with 5 minutes of set up, 5 minutes of bad jokes, and 16 minutes of action.

Now, if you were looking for a way to get the kids into Trek, this might do the trick. Although even as an 8 year old, I had no trouble getting into the original live action show.
Old 07-24-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
Great price on a cool set. I paid almost $38 when it was released.

Unfortunately, it's also a really AWFUL show. I'm 40, so I grew up with my share of terrible animated shows, but if this weren't Star Trek, no one would be buying it. The animation is bad, the actors voices are literally phoned in (I'm pretty sure ALL the dialog was recorded seperately) and the character interaction is non-existant.

I think the main issue isn't that the writing is particularly bad, it's just that you can't tell a good Trek story in a 26 minute window. Since the show was targeted towards kids (duh) we are left with 5 minutes of set up, 5 minutes of bad jokes, and 16 minutes of action.

Now, if you were looking for a way to get the kids into Trek, this might do the trick. Although even as an 8 year old, I had no trouble getting into the original live action show.
Nothing from childhood is as good as we remember it. I've stopped letting nostalgia influence my purchases since I was almost always disappointed.
Old 07-24-11, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Almost got it. Had it in my cart and went to add something to get it up to free shipping. Then noticed it did not show the discount anymore. Removed it and tried again but it said I already had it in my cart, which was no longer true. I guess it was still being reserved.

Cannot you not order these types of deals with additional items and still get the discount?
Old 07-24-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
Almost got it. Had it in my cart and went to add something to get it up to free shipping. Then noticed it did not show the discount anymore. Removed it and tried again but it said I already had it in my cart, which was no longer true. I guess it was still being reserved.

Cannot you not order these types of deals with additional items and still get the discount?
I thought that you had 15 minutes to check out after adding it to your cart. Otherwise it would go back to the "pool". I don't think it matters what else you have in your cart. You could call or email Amazon CS and explain the situation. Perhaps they will allow you to purchase it at the discounted price.
Old 07-25-11, 01:33 AM

the set has been $9.99 at more than one big-lots and Ross i've been too.
Old 07-25-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by seether254
the set has been $9.99 at more than one big-lots and Ross i've been too.
Don't forget $6 at Big Lots long ago. I think that's the cheapest I ever saw it.
Old 07-25-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is about what I paid for it at Wal-mart.