Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy blu ray advertising BS

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to pick up a web order today and I was browsing the blu-ray discs. There was a display that read something like "recent blu rays 9.99" and had a picture of five different films. Underneath was a sales date that ran through 8/6. Drive angry was one of the pictured titles. When I went to check out, it came up as $19.99 It took manager approval to finally get it for the 9.99 price and even then I had to argue. They were trying to tell me the display was "starting at 9.99" even though it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the display. I thought that was a blatant incident of false advertising, but at least he honored it in the end.
Old 07-24-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Best Buy blu ray advertising BS

Most likely an honest mistake, someone in advertising forgot to include the word "From"

But yeah my local bestbuy had a sign up once that said the ad was mistaken and that the advertised price was for the DVD version not the BR version. Kinda pissed me off and made me want to go up to the register with the BR. Didn't and bought it yesterday for the same price as the mistake (the sign incident was maybe 2 months ago).
Old 07-24-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Most likely an honest mistake, someone in advertising forgot to include the word "From"
I'm sure you're right that it was an honest mistake. It is a huge problem though if the displays were printed across the country. At least they saw my side and honored the price, but it took about 15 minutes of arguing with three different people to get the result.
Old 07-24-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You were just browsing and state that the display had something like . . .

Could you be any more definitive? Did they go back and check the exact wording?
Old 07-24-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69
You were just browsing and state that the display had something like . . .

Could you be any more definitive? Did they go back and check the exact wording?
Yes, I brought the manager over. The "Recent Blu Rays" wording wasn't the critical info. It was the fact that the display had a number of blu rays at various prices on the tags. In the picture next to the wording had 5 of the blu rays and the very clear price of $9.99 next to them with no other wording. Underneath was a specific sales range that ran until 8/6/11. Basically, Drive Angry was pictured next to the $9.99, but rang up at 19.99 I looked closely at the fine print and there was nothing mentioned about "starting at" or "from" to negate the Blu from being $9.99 This display is probably in every store in the country, so if you drop by next week, it should still be there.
Old 07-24-11, 09:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Could these movies be in next week's ad and they put out the display too early?
Old 07-25-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Texan26
Could these movies be in next week's ad and they put out the display too early?
I don't think so. The date range began the first week in July (I think) and is scheduled to go through 8/6, so it is ongoing.
Old 07-25-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Yes, I brought the manager over. The "Recent Blu Rays" wording wasn't the critical info. It was the fact that the display had a number of blu rays at various prices on the tags. In the picture next to the wording had 5 of the blu rays and the very clear price of $9.99 next to them with no other wording. Underneath was a specific sales range that ran until 8/6/11. Basically, Drive Angry was pictured next to the $9.99, but rang up at 19.99 I looked closely at the fine print and there was nothing mentioned about "starting at" or "from" to negate the Blu from being $9.99 This display is probably in every store in the country, so if you drop by next week, it should still be there.

I agree. A long time ago when i was buying my first HDTV I went to best buy and they had a sign up for a tv that I was interested in. I said hey. I'll take it. So we go through all the hoopla of making sure it was instock and getting all the correct info for me to check out and pay for it. I get to the register and it rings up 300$ more than the sign was for. I said, "um, the sign was for X$." The cashier then calls back to the dept for someone to check the sign. They come up and say the sign was last week's price. I said it doesn't really matter as that is what was posted and that is what I'll pay for it. They in turn didn't agree with me, even the manager said they didn't have to allow it because they forgot to pull the sign down. I told em that it's the law(in WI and probably many other states) and they have to honor the posted price. He said no. I just walked out and to this day I rarely shop at best buy.

With that being said. All stores will make pricing errors. They should just eat it(as the law probably state) and then take the sign down if it's not correct.
Old 07-25-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

My local BB had something like this out, but it was for old PC and Xbox 360 games.

Although the sign was hand-written, "Games STARTING at $9.99"....probably had an issue like what the OP mentioned with another customer.
Old 07-25-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I agree. A long time ago when i was buying my first HDTV I went to best buy and they had a sign up for a tv that I was interested in. I said hey. I'll take it. So we go through all the hoopla of making sure it was instock and getting all the correct info for me to check out and pay for it. I get to the register and it rings up 300$ more than the sign was for. I said, "um, the sign was for X$." The cashier then calls back to the dept for someone to check the sign. They come up and say the sign was last week's price. I said it doesn't really matter as that is what was posted and that is what I'll pay for it. They in turn didn't agree with me, even the manager said they didn't have to allow it because they forgot to pull the sign down. I told em that it's the law(in WI and probably many other states) and they have to honor the posted price. He said no. I just walked out and to this day I rarely shop at best buy.

With that being said. All stores will make pricing errors. They should just eat it(as the law probably state) and then take the sign down if it's not correct.
I would agree with you, but those same sale signs also list the dates that the sale is in effect. Anything outside those dates, the price should not be honored.
Old 07-25-11, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hooch is crazy.
Old 07-25-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Whoever's job it was to take the sign down should have had the amount deducted from their paycheck.
Old 07-26-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I would agree with you, but those same sale signs also list the dates that the sale is in effect. Anything outside those dates, the price should not be honored.
if it's a posted price. It should be honored. They should have removed the sign when the sale was over. If that was true they would have sale signs everywhere so to entice people to buy the item only to switch the price at checkout. Not everyone notices the dates they are good for.
Old 07-26-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78

They could have said, "Hey, you're right, it was our error. We're taking the sign down now but we'll give it to you for the posted price." They lose $ but satisfy a customer, who probably comes back for peripheral equipment etc. Just a matter of how you want to run your store.