Old 07-22-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts
Torchwood: Miracle Day -- "Dead of Night" -- 7/22/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-07-15

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The Torchwood group take it on the lam and wind up banging heads against a new enemy. Later, they mount a raid on PhiCorp's headquarters, and Jack confronts a mysterious malefactor.

Episode 3 of 10

Preview:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HjvKmF8DuY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apparently tonight's episode will be censored in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...BC-air-US.html
Old 07-22-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day -- "Dead of Night" -- 7/22/11

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s8/torc...-says-bbc.html

This article has a video interview with Barrowman about the season.
Old 07-22-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

New Trailer that was shown at Comic Con:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y440z8YrIcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Jack's comment about being impaled.
Old 07-23-11, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

I didn't like this episode that much. The script had this "dialogue is really just bullet points of exposition" vibe to it. It felt more like the characters were talking to the audience than having conversations amongst themselves.
Old 07-23-11, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gwen stole this episode. I want Eve Myles to have my love child.

I loved the "bigger on the inside than the outside" line in the warehouse.
Old 07-23-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I wasn't in love with this episode either. There were a few sporatic moments that were cool...mostly with Gwen. A little surprised considering this episode was written by Jane Espenson, who was a Writer/Producer on Battlestar Galactica. Not sure I get how this Phicorp/No prescriptions subplot correlates with the whole Miracle Day arc.

I do have to say that Arlene Tur (Dr. Juarez) is kind of hot, especially with her hair down. But, that sex scene with Mekhi Phifer was terrible. They have no chemistry and I thought it was awkward. It didn't help that it was intercut with Jack getting boned by the barman.

at scene at the end with Jack getting his ass kicked by Danes' goons.
Old 07-23-11, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

I guess all the questions about whether or not they'll be explicit with the sexuality just got answered.

And the phone conversation between Jack and Gwen was kind of heart breaking.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-23-11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 02:08 PM
Banned by request

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PAoIQEdn2h8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A0Hkobh--5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p17f9QVzTpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-06_cxBOutE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-24-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though it was a bit sudden, I liked the character arc Bill Pullman's character went through. From mumbly guy to confident asshole.
Old 07-24-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Even though it was a bit sudden, I liked the character arc Bill Pullman's character went through. From mumbly guy to confident asshole.
Like you said, it does seem a little sudden though, especially since the audience wasn't privy to what happened at his meeting.

Too me this episode just had something missing, which is a disappointment as someone else mentioned Jane Espenson wrote it, and after 6 years on "Buffy" she should have her dialogue down better... But the scenes between Gwen/Jack were the savior of the episode to me, and honestly the only thing of weight that happened in the episode besides the final several moments.
Old 07-24-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's interesting to note that episode was censored/edited in the UK. I thought we were the prudes.
Anyway, I didn't like this episode. Boring. I'm quickly losing interest. The last season was a nail biter from start to finish. Also, I don't understand why Captain Jack hasn't said much about his trip to the cosmos to Gwen.
I did like the phone conversation between Jack and Gwen, but my goodness, has Jack lost sight of the human condition? He was a normal human at one point. He really expects Gwen
Spoiler:
to give up her family for him, especially after he abruptly up and left?
Old 07-25-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Also, I don't understand why Captain Jack hasn't said much about his trip to the cosmos to Gwen. I did like the phone conversation between Jack and Gwen, but my goodness, has Jack lost sight of the human condition? He was a normal human at one point. He really expects Gwen
Spoiler:
to give up her family for him, especially after he abruptly up and left?
I've now finished watching all of Seasons 1 & 2 of Torchwood, so I'll comment...

Jack's an egotist. The show has always been clear about that. Also, to clarify what "normal human" means, he originates from the 51st century. So while he's spent over 100 years in the 21st century, a large portion of who we are is established during our formative years (which for him were spent in the 51st century). And last but not least, Gwen once said, under some type of influence, that she loves Rhys, but not the way she loves Jack. However, she needs someone she can depend on, and that's Rhys. And she DOES love Rhys, and he definitely loves her. But there's this underlying current in the show that Rhys is a bit of a neanderthal. Traditionally, Gwen even treats him as such. I'm sure that changed some over time, but it's an important point to remember. Like sexuality, relationships on this show do not fit into convenient norms.
Old 07-25-11, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Also, I don't understand why Captain Jack hasn't said much about his trip to the cosmos to Gwen?
They probably don't want to get too science fictiony with this "Americanized" version. I doubt they'll do too many references to aliens and stuff like that; wouldn't expect any Weevils to turn up.

If someone had not watched Torchwood before, they might think Jack was joking about getting the contact lenses from a moon around a distant star.
Old 07-25-11, 01:06 PM
Banned by request

Jack tends to only share things if he has to.
Old 07-26-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I loved the "bigger on the inside than the outside" line in the warehouse.
Damn, I missed that. Nice catch!

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wasn't in love with this episode either. There were a few sporatic moments that were cool...mostly with Gwen. A little surprised considering this episode was written by Jane Espenson, who was a Writer/Producer on Battlestar Galactica. Not sure I get how this Phicorp/No prescriptions subplot correlates with the whole Miracle Day arc.

I do have to say that Arlene Tur (Dr. Juarez) is kind of hot, especially with her hair down. But, that sex scene with Mekhi Phifer was terrible. They have no chemistry and I thought it was awkward. It didn't help that it was intercut with Jack getting boned by the barman.

at scene at the end with Jack getting his ass kicked by Danes' goons.
I have to agree with you there. I still wanted more when it was done, but this didn't have the same weight as the first two. Plus, we know things happened in the interim since they were already on a mission to the Director's house. How would they not sit down and at least discuss some basics?? Maybe it's less bothersome to a new person, but it's the scenes like Jack telling Rex where they found the contact lenses. Yes, most of us know he's telling the truth. Yet Rex can't or won't believe it.

Interesting twist with the medical company and the Senator doing the exact opposite of what the doctors were discussing in the previous episode.

I'm also not liking the Oswald character as much now. I feel like he's in there for plot and nothing else. I suppose the only reason Jack knows he's lying is because of the events from CoE and how that has changed him.