Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD upscaling (or upconverting) on a Blu-Ray player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 03:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'd really like to get some definitive information in plain and simple terminology regarding DVDs, upscaling (or upconverting), and Blu-Ray players via component video cables.

I have a 53" Pioneer WS HDTV (rear projection) that has no HDMI capabilities, only component video. It's been said that prior to January of this year, Blu-Ray players would upscale DVD via component cables, and that players manufactured after January would not.

It's also been said that Blu-Ray players never had the ability to upscale DVDs via component video cables, only via HDMI.

It's also been said (by a technician from Crutchfield) that he'd never even heard about this new limitation that supposedly occured in January of this year, and that Blu-Ray players never would enhance the appearance (or upscale) DVDs via component cables, only via HDMI.

Getting alot of cross information about this and I'd like to ask here. Is there any advantage to buying a Blu-Ray player when all I have is component video cable connectivity and an entire collection of standard DVDs (no Blu-Ray discs)?

While it may be true that I may one day buy a Blu-Ray disc, I can see the advantage there, but besides that?

Thanks, -kd5-
Old 07-20-11, 04:34 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: DVD upscaling (or upconverting) on a Blu-Ray player?

I have a 53" Pioneer rear projection set as well. I wouldn't worry much about the upconversion.

I use a HTPC and connect to the Pioneer via VGA. I can barely see any difference when I output a standard DVD signal or a 960p or 1440p (I think those are the numbers, it's been a while since I looked at it). The upconversion circuitry of the Pioneer is very good.
Old 07-20-11, 04:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I'm currently running my Pioneer SD-533HD5 (1080i) plugged directly into a Sony DVD/VCR combo player via component cables, and into an Onkyo 100W per channel stereo receiver also using component cables. If I just replace the DVD/VCR with a Blu-Ray player, will I see any improvement in video quality through component cables with standard DVDs? Or am I basically SOL until my TV dies (heaven forbid) and I buy a new one with HDMI? More likely scenario would be that I get this TV fixed, I paid a lot of $$$ for this Pioneer and I'm not likely to give it up just in the pursuit of newer technology.

Are the claims that were made regarding the upscaling of standard DVDs in a Blu-Ray player (using component cables) manufactured prior to January of this year unfounded? -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 07-20-11 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 05:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

As I said, I think you'll see very little improvement. The video card in my HTPC cost as much as a Blu-ray player and I think it upscaled at least as well as a Blu-ray player would. And I saw very, very little difference in the Pioneer. If the display has a poor scaler it would make a bigger difference, but the Pioneer (at least my 510HD) has a good one. I would assume, but am not sure, the SD-533 would have the same one.
Old 07-20-11, 05:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks X, I appreciate your input. -kd5-
Old 07-20-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I have a 53" Pioneer WS HDTV (rear projection) that has no HDMI capabilities, only component video. It's been said that prior to January of this year, Blu-Ray players would upscale DVD via component cables, and that players manufactured after January would not.
This claim is true, although it's "released" after 1/1/11. I think some probably fudged by continuing to build older players after that. But, the analog sunset has come and gone, now we are in perpetual darkness. If you want details, look up that phrase.

Oh, I think it is also true that not ALL players before 1/1/11 did upconverting of DVDs, a lot of them just skipped it. But some certainly did. It was a common discussion topic for the first couple years of BD players. The sunset is more about BDs, though. That's why the info is so confusing when you look for details on DVDs.

The good news is your TV has pretty good deinterlacing. Set it to 480p mode for DVDs instead of 1080i. Should look awesome.

Edit 2: Also, if you buy a 2011 BDp and some BDs, it will only be able to output 480/540 to your old TV. So, it's really not worth much to you at this point, IMO. Presumably, at some point you'll need to replace the TV, and then it won't matter to you, anymore.

Last edited by Spiky; 07-20-11 at 10:12 PM.