Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica - ...And Justice for All 24k Remaster

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

By strange luck, I had the opportunity to hear one of the very rare ...And Justice for All 24k Remastered discs. This is not a DCC release, but on par with the RTL and MOP DCC 24k jobbies.

Here's some info:

http://avaxhome.ws/music/metal/thras..._24k_gold.html

(The download links don't work btw)

It sounds a great deal better than the standard release. There are actually bass frequencies on this record! Some songs are better than others (One is particularly good) but others still have the lines buried to some degree. What you end up hearing is that part of the issue with this record is that unlike Cliff Burton, most of Newstead's lines practically track the rhythm guitar almost completely. So that kind of muddies the lines more than anything. I'd love to hear a 5.1 mix of this from the original masters one day.

Anyway, this is a cleaner, tighter and more punchy mix over the original release. An A/B comparison was almost laughable.

This guy is apparently a major Metallica fan, he had a ton of stuff, copies of the album mixed by different people released in different regions, etc.

If you have a chance to hear this, you should, it's an entirely different take on a great record.

Old 07-07-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Metallica - ...And Justice for All 24k Remaster

Even if I had the disc, I wouldn't have the right setup needed to make it sound right. I'm content with the standard release.

Last edited by edstein; 07-08-11 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-08-11, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by edstein
Even if I had the disc, I would have the rat of the setup needed to make it sound right. I'm content with the standard release.
All this guy had was a pretty standard CD player and receiver setup, I think they were Sonys, with some basic speakers.

The difference is instantly noticeable from about the first note of Blackened.

I'm not sure how anyone can be content with the mix of AJFA, it's atrocious and you really get a feeling of how much so with this remaster.
Old 07-09-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
All this guy had was a pretty standard CD player and receiver setup, I think they were Sonys, with some basic speakers.

The difference is instantly noticeable from about the first note of Blackened.

I'm not sure how anyone can be content with the mix of AJFA, it's atrocious and you really get a feeling of how much so with this remaster.
Well considering almost nobody has access to the remaster...........
Old 07-09-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous
Well considering almost nobody has access to the remaster...........
One thing has nothing to do with the other.

There are FLACs floating around the IW if one is so inclined...
Old 07-09-11, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, a topic about how bad AJFA sounds, a 23 yr old topic. Whats next, the short hair debate?
Old 07-11-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by banthafett
Nice, a topic about how bad AJFA sounds, a 23 yr old topic. Whats next, the short hair debate?
I suppose if someone has atrocious reading comprehension they would think that.

I'll help you out though. The thread is about how there exists at least one remaster that sounds very nice, and it's floating around out there if others want to check it out.
Old 07-12-11, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll help you out though. The thread is about how there exists at least one remaster that sounds very nice, and it's floating around out there if others want to check it out.
I thought it was a crime that Ulrich and Hetfield purposely drowned out Newstead's bass from the record. What was the point of hiring a bass player if you're just gonna drown out his work?
Old 07-12-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the Steve Hoffman forums (the guy who did the Gold DCC Remasters of Ride and MoP) the consensus seems to be that the original 1988 Japanese 25DP release (with The Prince bonus track) is the version to get, even over this gold version, which I've never heard particularly glowing reviews of.

Originally Posted by edstein
Even if I had the disc, I wouldn't have the right setup needed to make it sound right. I'm content with the standard release.
This is fundamentally incorrect, assuming there's an actual difference like DVD Josh claims.
Old 07-13-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just seems like a money grab to me. Assuming it's an official release.
Old 07-13-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's an official release from Polygram. The "gold" portion of the disc is a money grab. The medium which your CD bits are carried on doesn't matter at all, so long as your CD player can read them. Same goes for the Japanese SHM (Super High Materials) discs which are popular among some collectors.

If the remaster is different and better sounding (which is the case with the Gold MoP and RtL discs with Steve Hoffman remasters) then it very well might be worth your money though. Just don't think that because it's on a gold disc you don't have equipment good enough to hear it.
Old 07-13-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why no DVDA or SACD? Aren't CDs just CDs? I don't see how these remasters are that much better than the original release without higher bit rates.