Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films that SHOULD get a remake...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the novel Cujo by Stephen King after many years, and was thinking about the early-80's film based on it. With all the great movies that are getting unnecessary remakes done, there are so many not-so-great films that really could benefit from a remake.

"Cujo" is one of them. I mean, okay, there's not much you can really do to enhance a story about a rapid Saint Bernard - it is what it is, but in 1983, the movie industry had some kind of misplaced scruples about what should happen to children (I guess), and the film didn't end the way the novel ended. At least with a remake, they can end the film the right way, plus I suppose they can make Cujo even scarier through CGI.

Speaking of King stories, I'm sure most of his catalog can benefit from remakes. I know they're redoing Pet Sematary (a decent film, but a remake couldn't hurt), It, and The Stand (if Gary Sinise reprises his role as "Stu Redman," I'll be very happy).

Obscure films should also be in line to be remade. By obscure, I mean films that either weren't box office hits when released, or critically acclaimed films.

What are some films that you think would benefit from a remake?
Old 07-06-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Films that SHOULD get a remake...

Your example is more of a re-adapating source material more so than an actual remake (which usually refers to a movie being remade based on the original movie.)
Old 07-06-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I picked up the novel Cujo by Stephen King after many years, and was thinking about the early-80's film based on it. With all the great movies that are getting unnecessary remakes done, there are so many not-so-great films that really could benefit from a remake.

"Cujo" is one of them. I mean, okay, there's not much you can really do to enhance a story about a rapid Saint Bernard - it is what it is, but in 1983, the movie industry had some kind of misplaced scruples about what should happen to children (I guess), and the film didn't end the way the novel ended. At least with a remake, they can end the film the right way, plus I suppose they can make Cujo even scarier through CGI.

Speaking of King stories, I'm sure most of his catalog can benefit from remakes. I know they're redoing Pet Sematary (a decent film, but a remake couldn't hurt), It, and The Stand (if Gary Sinise reprises his role as "Stu Redman," I'll be very happy).

Obscure films should also be in line to be remade. By obscure, I mean films that either weren't box office hits when released, or critically acclaimed films.

What are some films that you think would benefit from a remake?
A CGI St. Bernard? Surely you must be joking.

I'll be the first to admit that Cujo isn't a very good movie and it could probably be improved upon, but CGI'ing the dog would not help the matter at all. Frankly I found the real Cujo to be quite menacing--the dirtier and bloodier he got, the scarier he got.

It's actually a great premise. Too bad the movie sucked and the novel wasn't much better. There have been so many "trapped by animals" movies though that I don't know what more could be done with it.
Old 07-06-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I remember a low-budget film from 1973 called THE DAY OF THE WOLVES, starring Richard Egan, Jan Murray, Rick Jason and some good character actors (Percy Helton!), that was about a military-style caper gang that takes over a Florida town and closes it off from the outside world to plunder it of any money and wealth it has. Egan plays the sheriff who offers the only significant resistance. There's a nice twist ending and I very much enjoyed Jan Murray's performance.

However, it's way too cheaply made to be effective. In some shots you see traffic moving freely in the background, even though the town was supposed to be closed off. There's not enough of a sense of the gang actually taking over the town. It's a good plot, but it needed a good budget and maybe a more high-profile 1973 cast, e.g., Kris Kristofferson as the gang leader and Charles Bronson as the town sheriff or James Coburn. Or vice versa. With Bo Hopkins, Paul Koslo, Don Stroud and Harry Dean Stanton in there somewhere.

Could this be remade today? You'd have to find a plausible way to cut off cell phone and internet service in a small town and come up with some kind of treasure that the town had, in this depressed economic era, to justify the expense and logistics of such a detailed operation.
Old 07-06-11, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie could benefit from a much-neeeded remake.
Old 07-06-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie could benefit from a much-needed remake.
Only if the original Japanese "Zyuranger" crew was involved:
Old 07-06-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go Scarface 1983

You get

Cameron Diaz = Elvira
Eva Mendes = Gina
Benicio Del Toro = Sosa
Bobby Cannivale = Manolo
James Gandolfini = Frank Lopez
James Woods = Tony's Lawyer
Jordi Mollà = Omar
David Zayas = Ernie
Johnny Depp = Tony Montana

UPDATE:
Gary Oldman = Mel (for RichC2)
Spoiler:
I hope this never happends cause its one of my favorite movies, sometimes I think of new actors that can pull off older roles. Sorry I'm sick in the head.

Last edited by Larry C.; 07-06-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd watch a Scarface remake with Gary Oldman in every key role.
Old 07-06-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
plus I suppose they can make Cujo even scarier through CGI.
You lost me with this sentence. It's so ridiculous I can't even wrap my head around it.
Old 07-06-11, 10:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I would like to see The Detective remade as a prequel to Die Hard.
Old 07-06-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I would like to see The Detective remade as a prequel to Die Hard.
Would the casting director be looking for a young Bruce Willis or an old Frank Sinatra?
Old 07-06-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You lost me with this sentence. It's so ridiculous I can't even wrap my head around it.
No sit WTF is he talking about? CGI SUCKS and is the bain of anything horror!
Old 07-06-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think every movie should get remade with Woody Allen starring in it.
Imagine...
Woody in Jaws: "You're going to need to get a bigger boat."
As Charles Foster Kane: "You can't buy a bag of peanuts in this town without someone writing a song about you."
Rhett Butler: "I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely."
Pulp Fiction: "I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King."
It's a Wonderful Life: "Now, come on, get your clothes on, and we'll stroll up to my car and get... Oh, I'm sorry. I'll stroll. You fly."
Norman Bates: "Uh-uh, Mother-m-mother, uh, what is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today."
Dirty Harry: "Go ahead. Make my day."

Yes, the Wood man is the greatest actor we have ever seen and can easily fit into any role and make it ... his own.
Old 07-06-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oldboy
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
Gone With the Wind
Patton
Pulp Fiction
Casablanca
Old 07-06-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd always hoped that Children of the Corn would get a remake. A real remake, not a SciFi original. The premise, the music, and several key scenes absolutely scare the shit out of me. It could be very effective if done correctly. No budget contraints and some better child actors, and adult actors for that matter. I love the original, but it could be improved upon.
Old 07-06-11, 12:15 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Didn't Children of the Corn get remade around 1995?
Old 07-06-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
Imagine...
Woody in Jaws: "You're going to need to get a bigger boat."
As Charles Foster Kane: "You can't buy a bag of peanuts in this town without someone writing a song about you."
Rhett Butler: "I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely."
Pulp Fiction: "I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King."
It's a Wonderful Life: "Now, come on, get your clothes on, and we'll stroll up to my car and get... Oh, I'm sorry. I'll stroll. You fly."
Norman Bates: "Uh-uh, Mother-m-mother, uh, what is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today."
Dirty Harry: "Go ahead. Make my day."

Yes, the Wood man is the greatest actor we have ever seen and can easily fit into any role and make it ... his own.
You've got Woody in the wrong parts in those remakes. I'd buy Woody as the shark. And as Scarlett O'Hara! "Fiddle-dee-dee, tomorrow is another day." And as Clarence. And as Marion Crane in the shower: "I'm a BLEED-er!" And as Scorpio constantly adjusting his glasses before trying to fire the sniper rifle.
Old 07-06-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UcENNk-JLNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-06-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These threads always turn into jokes but I'd honestly like to see Jurassic Park remade. Not so much a remake but a stronger, more faithful adaptation to the book.
Old 07-06-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Didn't Children of the Corn get remade around 1995?
No, it's had many sequels. Part IV was decent (the only watchable one) and included an early Naomi Watts. It came out around 1996.

It was remade a couple of years ago as a Sci-Fi original, which was just all sorts of horrible.

No one really cares for the first film. I'm surprised it got as many sequels as it did.
Old 07-06-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
No, it's had many sequels. Part IV was decent (the only watchable one) and included an early Naomi Watts. It came out around 1996.

It was remade a couple of years ago as a Sci-Fi original, which was just all sorts of horrible.

No one really cares for the first film. I'm surprised it got as many sequels as it did.
Sequels are odd like that, Pulse -- the remake of the Japanese movie -- spawned two sequels in the US in a 2 year period.
Old 07-06-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Doc Savage: Man Of Bronze
Flash Gordon
Old 07-06-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Land/People That Time Forgot
Old 07-06-11, 06:15 PM

Cujo is an excellent film and doesn't need to be remade. On the other hand, while I enjoy the Schwarzenegger flick, a new version of The Running Man that keeps the book's ending would be nice. Doubt it would happen these days though since it involves a plane going into a building.
Old 07-06-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pet Semetary does not need to be remade either. It could use a decent sequel though. The second one was strange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.