Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Larry Crowne

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Larry Crowne

Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts reunite onscreen for a small, quaint little film, which was light and fluffy, and went down like comfort food.

Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks' character), high-achieving employee at UMart, has hit the ceiling for career advancement due to his lack of college education, and a college degree, and is unceremoniously let go. In order to make a change, Larry goes back to college, and there he makes friends, learns from his professors, and finds a spark between himself and Prof. Tainot (Julia Roberts' character), who is in a crumbling marriage (hubby played by Bryan Cranston).

Tom Hanks directed, and co-wrote (with Nia Vardalos) this film, and it's a throwback to character-driven movies where characters are all but down and out, and find a way back to the business of living with unexpected help from literally new blood/people in his life. The movie's tone is quite suited for its story, and paced very well. The film does ask the audience to buy into some of the premises to make the story work, and it's hit-or-miss at times as the supporting characters are somewhat broadly drawn and not fully realized. I have to say that I did not recognize Wilmer Valderrama until the 2nd or 3rd time I saw him in the movie.

But overall, not a bad way to spend an afternoon matinee viewing, especially since Hanks and Roberts still have good onscreen chemistry.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 07-04-11, 09:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Larry Crowne

is Tom Hanks' character supposed to be retarded in this? because from the trailers he certainly acts it.
Old 07-04-11, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an allergic reaction to Julia Roberts so I will have to pass.
Old 07-04-11, 11:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I asked my wife if this movie was about a guy going to the race track and falling in love. She was not amused.
Old 07-04-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

35% on RT with ~150 reviews in.

I'm in no hurry to see this.
Old 07-04-11, 12:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Such a shame, because Hanks has been doing some hilarious stuff lately.

Case in point:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dPLWKBWkn3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-04-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hanks was tweeting from the set every day while making the film like a year ago, announcing the cast as they were hired, showing script reads around the table, set and cast shots while filming, what they were shooting, etc. I was interested back then.

The reviews have been pretty much uniformly bad. It is a bummer.
Old 07-04-11, 12:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I follow Hanks. One of the few guys in Hollywood who has very few pretensions.
Old 07-04-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The reviews aren't bad, they're scathing. No surprise that Patman enjoyed it.
Old 07-04-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the idea of a middle aged man getting fired and having to go back to college. But this is as much as I like about it from seeing the trailers. Tom Hanks is fine but I would've cast just about anyone other than Julia Roberts. Also, making community college full of losers has become such a huge stereotype in Hollywood. At least "Community" does not come off as mean spirited.

Lastly, the stuff with the moped is so contrived. Tom Hanks is an old man. It worked with Zach Braff and Natalie Portman but this just looks pathetic.

Anyway, that's all I got from the trailer and TV spots. I think it had potential.
Old 07-04-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like the idea of a middle aged man getting fired and having to go back to college. But this is as much as I like about it from seeing the trailers. Tom Hanks is fine but I would've cast just about anyone other than Julia Roberts.
I would have been far more likely to go see it if he had cast Meg Ryan.
Old 07-04-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like the idea of a middle aged man getting fired and having to go back to college. But this is as much as I like about it from seeing the trailers. Tom Hanks is fine but I would've cast just about anyone other than Julia Roberts. Also, making community college full of losers has become such a huge stereotype in Hollywood. At least "Community" does not come off as mean spirited.

Lastly, the stuff with the moped is so contrived. Tom Hanks is an old man. It worked with Zach Braff and Natalie Portman but this just looks pathetic.

Anyway, that's all I got from the trailer and TV spots. I think it had potential.
What you're really saying is this would be better if it were about Jeff Winger.
Old 07-05-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
What you're really saying is this would be better if it were about Jeff Winger.
This x100
Old 07-05-11, 07:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I feel bad for Hanks, because you can tell he really liked making this movie and is behind it 100%. Kind of hard to keep that up in wake of the bad reviews.
Old 07-09-11, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I would have been far more likely to go see it if he had cast Meg Ryan.
Casting Meg Ryan probably would have interested a good number of persons who enjoyed their three previous films together.