Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 2's 20th Anniversary!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DxgLwrW9h_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On July 3rd, 1991...T2 came out. And it fucking blew my little 5 year old mind.

20 years? Damn. When you put a number to it like that...makes it seem longer.

Saw it w/ my dad in a theater. I wasn't the only little kid there either. This was an era where taking your son to an R rated action film wasn't that big of a deal. What I saw was just too much excitement for me to handle. And being the big action junkie that my dad's love for the genre made me...I got sad seeing the T-800's finale in that film. I had never seen T1 but out of all his other movies that I saw....Arnold never died. He did in this one. I was crying. I wasn't the only kid that did either. My dad didn't know wtf was happening so he asked me, "What the hell is wrong...you hurt?" All I could say was that Arnold was dead. My dad sure as hell didn't expect that.

That's my T2 story..

20 fucking years. Changed filmmaking forever. Stunts were great. I'm still shocked when I see that chopper speed through under that overpass or whatever it's called.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-03-11 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Terminator 2's 20th Anniversary!

I was really thinking about a 20th anniversery Terminator 2 thread. Never saw it in the theater, too bad there hasn't been any kind of rerelease this year. I remember my older brother renting it on VHS, and at first my parents wouldn't let me watch it at 10 years old. I had to wait a few more years after that to see it. I have owned nearly every dvd release, and the newest bluray release. Terminator 2 and True Lies are the last good movies Jim Cameron has made, maybe someday he will make another R rated action flick.
Old 07-03-11, 12:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw it for the first time on laserdisc. My friend's dad had a laserdisc player with some kind of special headphones. It was pretty cool. I still have that first special edition DVD with the chrome case that scratched the hell out of the regular case.
Old 07-03-11, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw it for the first time on laserdisc. My friend's dad had a laserdisc player with some kind of special headphones. It was pretty cool. I still have that first special edition DVD with the chrome case that scratched the hell out of the regular case.
It looked so badass but I fucking hated that thing.
Old 07-03-11, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching that trailer, I still get goosebumps. I wasnt in love with a money since Batman 89. Then came T2, and Gnr, what a great fucking combo for a teenage kid.
Old 07-03-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a recorded copy off of a cable broadcast of the film. I used to watch it so many times. It wasn't until I got the DVD that I saw the R rated version and was surprised to learn that Linda Hamilton had quite a potty mouth on her.

I always admired the chase scene through the drainage area, until I saw where it was actually filmed at Warner Bros. studio and saw how small it was. It was like finding out Santa wasn't real.
Old 07-03-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It looked so badass but I fucking hated that thing.

wasn't that the introduction of the DVD-18? That or Superman.

I remember looking all over the city for the two disc version. Finally found one and still have both copies.

Fucking awesome movie.
Old 07-03-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

That was the ultmiate edition dvd. The 2-disc extreme edition had the metal slipcover that destroyed the dvd Case.
Old 07-03-11, 02:35 PM
Banned

that's another case that I loved...yet also hated.
Old 07-03-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I always admired the chase scene through the drainage area, until I saw where it was actually filmed at Warner Bros. studio and saw how small it was. It was like finding out Santa wasn't real.
What ruins that sequence for me is the totally obvious stunt double for Arnold. Pulls me out of the scene every time (despite the awesome action).

Saw it on opening day in a packed theater with no AC. Despite how hot and uncomfortable it was, I remember being completely mesmerized by the movie. One of my favorite movie-going memories.
Old 07-03-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the spoilers, OP.
Old 07-03-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't watch it until it hit home video. But this movie is/was HUGE to me. I remember watching T2 soooo many times when I was younger. And it still excites me to sit down and watch it once in awhile.

James Cameron (along with John McTiernan) made modern action movies before everyone wanted to be like Michael Bay. He finds amazing things to put on the screen and keeps the camera movements very restrained. The shots are there to get coverage on amazing physical stunts, effects and story. They're not just swinging and cutting all over the place to activate a visceral experience.

I dunno. That's what I really take from his movies.
Old 07-03-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember going to the theaters with my older siblings and it was an awesome experience, one of the few times we all saw a film.

But whats funny is that for me, the highlight of that film was the future intro; the impression it left never went away.
Old 07-03-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Just got my T2 Skull from Lionsgate. Nice way to celebrate the 20th.
Old 07-03-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember my mom flipping out on my dad when she found out we went to go see T2 in theaters. I was only 6 at the time. It wasn't even the first R rated movie I saw. I would watch their VHS copy of Trading Places all the time, guess they never knew.

Anyways, I could probably guess this movie was purchased by me the most. VHS, first barebones DVD, Ultimate Edition DVD, Extreme Edition DVD, barebones Blu-Ray, Skynet Edition Blu-Ray, and finally the T-800 Skull Blu-Ray set...which contains extra copies of the discs I just mentioned.

I'm done buying this movie.
Old 07-03-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I remember my mom flipping out on my dad when she found out we went to go see T2 in theaters. I was only 6 at the time. It wasn't even the first R rated movie I saw. I would watch their VHS copy of Trading Places all the time, guess they never knew.

Anyways, I could probably guess this movie was purchased by me the most. VHS, first barebones DVD, Ultimate Edition DVD, Extreme Edition DVD, barebones Blu-Ray, Skynet Edition Blu-Ray, and finally the T-800 Skull Blu-Ray set...which contains extra copies of the discs I just mentioned.

I'm done buying this movie.
watch Lions gate announce theyre doing a full restoration of the movie (isn't the Blu using the same master as the Extreme DVD just upgraded to Blu)
Old 07-03-11, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it on opening weekend. I remember liking it a lot but also being a little bit dissapointed. This was hyped as being the most expensive movie ever made and I expected balls-to-the-wall action, something that would blow Aliens, Die Hard, and The Road Warrior out of the water. Not quite. I thought most of the action scenes were too short, and the movie overall was kinda clunky and lumbering. Kinda slow even.

I still like it but I prefer the original film.
Old 07-03-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I remember going to see it fie the first time on a tip to Dallas. It was the summer after my 11th grade year. Now I feel really old.
Old 07-03-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I saw it on opening weekend. I remember liking it a lot but also being a little bit dissapointed. This was hyped as being the most expensive movie ever made and I expected balls-to-the-wall action, something that would blow Aliens, Die Hard, and The Road Warrior out of the water. Not quite. I thought most of the action scenes were too short, and the movie overall was kinda clunky and lumbering. Kinda slow even.

I still like it but I prefer the original film.
Shut your goddamn whore mouth.
Old 07-04-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
Watching that trailer, I still get goosebumps.
Same here.
Old 07-04-11, 12:21 AM
Banned

I got the Skull set last year. Except for the butt ugly transfer, it was a great set. I also have the chrome case set from a few years ago. Never had any trouble with the cover scratching anything. It is loose and doesn't grip the case very well, but that's the only trouble I had with it. Hopefully someday they'll put out a correct transfer without all the horrible DNR. It's not Predator level suck, but it's pretty bad.
Old 07-04-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember seeing it with my parents in a theater that's now a church. My best recollection, besides loving the shit out of that movie, was the transition scene from present to future war where the terminator that stomped on that skull... made me jump right out of my seat. I still think it holds up incredibly well as one of the best sequels of all-time. I won't say it's better than the original, but they're definitely tied in my mind.
Old 07-04-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Terminator Salvation was awesome! I never saw the others.
Old 07-04-11, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Terminator Salvation was awesome! I never saw the others.
...get...get the fuck out...
Old 07-04-11, 08:58 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

The 1st copy of T2 I owned was the VHS Special Edition 2 cassette box set with the 152 min. extended length version of the movie and a 40 minute Making Of on a separate cassette. I still have that. 2nd copy I bought was the The Ultimate Edition DVD, but with cardboard slipcover, with the 156 min. version of the movie and separate Bonus disc. As has been said before, I'm done buying T2.

Excellent flick!!! I don't sit there with a magnifying glass and tweezers picking the movie apart, so at no point does any scene "take me out of the movie". I enjoy every minute of this movie every time we watch it. -kd5-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.