Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba SD-1200 is pissing me off!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba SD-1200 is pissing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-00, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I just got my Toshiba SD-1200 this past friday and already I'm having problems. There are certain discs that won't load, I just get an on screen message that says "Please Check Disc". Halloween 5 LE tin, MIB LE disc 1 (disc 2 plays fine), Evil Dead 2 LE tin all won't load. Sometimes these discs do work, after so many times of loading them. All other discs have worked fine. I have firmware version 1.5-R1, which I hear is the latest. But my player was manufactured in Febuary 2000, and I've heard that ver. 1.5 was not used until March. I bought it at Mercata. Should I return this player for another since I can't get a firmware upgrade, or can I? What do I do?
Old 09-26-00, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you get what you pay for Chad!
That's pretty much an entry-level player with limited capabilities, wait till you get to some layer changes on certain discs, the unit will acutally skip a few seconds!!!!
Good luck!
Old 09-26-00, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by BillumillAmerika:
you get what you pay for Chad!
That's pretty much an entry-level player with limited capabilities, wait till you get to some layer changes on certain discs, the unit will acutally skip a few seconds!!!!
Good luck!
<HR>

Yeah, and don't ever buy an entry level cd player, because they have a hard time playing cds with complicated music on them (Bach, etc.).

I have a similar problem with an entry level toaster I bought. It's fine when I toast white or wheat bread, but it won't work at all with cinammon raison. And I'm not even gonna try pumpernickel.

Chad, it is very clear you know a lot more about your player (firmware versions, etc.) than Bill.

You should probably contact Mercata and try to exchange your player for one with the newer firmware.

-S
Old 09-26-00, 10:55 AM

A lot of people have said only good things about the 1200 but I would definitely go back to where you got it and get a new one. Try a new one and if that gives you the same, then go with something else.
Old 09-26-00, 10:58 AM
Cool New Member

I have the same problem with a $160 GE DVD Player, Office Space and Stepmom work great, forget about going past 1 hour with Matrix. all my problems seem to be after an hour, is that significant. Fight Club also, at 106 it shuts down, but works great in my Toshiba DVD-ROM. Can I do anything to help my poor GE player???
Old 09-26-00, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy Kim:
A lot of people have said only good things about the 1200 but I would definitely go back to where you got it and get a new one. Try a new one and if that gives you the same, then go with something else.<HR>

If you look at recent threads regarding this topic you will see that many Toshiba players suffer from outdate firmware!!! The only way to update this is to pay to have it upgraded!!! Take the player back and buy a better player!!! Look at the Pioneers or the Sonys.....there have been many complaints on this forum alone regarding Toshiba dvd players!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-26-00, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by burton99:
I have the same problem with a $160 GE DVD Player, Office Space and Stepmom work great, forget about going past 1 hour with Matrix. all my problems seem to be after an hour, is that significant. Fight Club also, at 106 it shuts down, but works great in my Toshiba DVD-ROM. Can I do anything to help my poor GE player???<HR>

I realize cheaper sounds better to the pocket book but you would have done yourself a favor in spending around $100 more and purchasing a Pioneer or Sony!!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-26-00, 12:05 PM
Banned

steveevt,
what an as...le you are!! Looks like YOU are
the one who does NOT know shxx about a/v
components!!!
and your arguements about CD Players, Toasters etccc.... do you know that YES, there are some entry level CD players which
will NOT play ANY CD!!!!!
Concerning my abilities, let me just tell
you that I am a licensed A/V contractor and
just reading some posts by as....les like
you really make me feel pity for jerks like
you!!!
Old 09-26-00, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

steveevt,
what an as...le you are!! Looks like YOU are
the one who does NOT know shxx about a/v
components!!!
and your arguements about CD Players, Toasters etccc.... do you know that YES, there are some entry level CD players which
will NOT play ANY CD!!!!!
Concerning my abilities, let me just tell
you that I am a licensed A/V contractor and
just reading some posts by as....les like
you really make me feel pity for jerks like
you!!!
<HR>

Wow. Congratulations on being an A/V contractor.

I absolutely stand by my statement that all evidence above indicates that Chad knows more about the SD-1200 than you do.

I absolutely disagree that there are entry level cd players that won't play any cds (other than individual examples of lemons).

Please don't pity me. My home theater rocks!

I just hope that no one takes your remarks about entry level equipment seriously.

As far as calling me an a-hole, I think you're taking this whole (internet, forum, home theater, you name it) thing a little too personally. There's nothing wrong with being passionate, of course, but I think that your passion is misplaced.

-S

[This message has been edited by stevevt (edited September 26, 2000).]
Old 09-26-00, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
BillumillAmerika is a registered personal attacker. Please ignore his comments.

I own the Toshiba SD-2109, even older than your SD-1200. I have yet to run across DVD's that I cannot play. MIB LE disc 1 plays just fine, as does The Matrix. True that in layer changes, there's a split second pause, maybe about 1/10 of a second.

Exchange for a new one. I'm sure your unit is defective. Like Andy Kim posted, if it still doesn't work, get a different one.

------------------
BAN POST COUNTS.

Defender of the Other Forum.

[This message has been edited by namja (edited September 26, 2000).]
Old 09-26-00, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont ask me why but there we have 5 toshibas in our house and all of them never have any problems with any discs and 3 of them are the low end players as you would say it and 1 of them was the 3107 which came out a while ago and never had problems with that either

Capt
Old 09-26-00, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My older Toshiba 3109 has NEVER had a problem playing a disc. Nor does my laptop player in the Compaq. Nor the player in my desktop Gateway. And I am guessing that these would not be considered high-end machines.

IMO, lower end does not mean the player should have problems with certain discs. It sounds to me like the SD-1200 is out of alignment/defective and should be replaced with another unit. If it was me, I would be happy with another 1200. I have bought two 1200s for friends and they are working perfectly.

My layer change on the 3109 is barely noticeable by the way. I don't think in the world of DVD players, that the motto of "you get what you pay for" applies as much as it does to other things...but then I don't use green felt pens and cables that cost hundreds of dollars.

Stevevt...I think you comments were a little hard on Bill...but Bill's response was way out of line.
Old 09-26-00, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>green felt pens<HR>

????
Old 09-26-00, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chad:
I just got my Toshiba SD-1200 this past friday and already I'm having problems. There are certain discs that won't load, I just get an on screen message that says "Please Check Disc". Halloween 5 LE tin, MIB LE disc 1 (disc 2 plays fine), Evil Dead 2 LE tin all won't load. Sometimes these discs do work, after so many times of loading them. All other discs have worked fine. I have firmware version 1.5-R1, which I hear is the latest. But my player was manufactured in Febuary 2000, and I've heard that ver. 1.5 was not used until March. I bought it at Mercata. Should I return this player for another since I can't get a firmware upgrade, or can I? What do I do?<HR>

the 1200 is a fine unit. you may have received one with a bad transport or misaligned laser or something to that extent.

i would recommend returning it for another one. if you are not satisfied with the unit after that, buy one that is really expensive to make the salesman happy.

cranky.

------------------
submit....your photo to the officially unofficial other forum member's page. or if you are underscore challenged http://welcome.to/theOtherForum
Old 09-26-00, 05:34 PM
Banned

Oh Boy!
What a bunch of amateurs!! Looks like the
average mentality in here is:
TRIAL AND ERROR!!! IF IT DON'T WORK, REPLACE IT WITH A LIKE UNIT, IF THAT DON'T WORK TOO,
THEN GET A DIFFERENT BRAND!!!!
What a bunch of amateurs!!!! Sure would never
hire ANY of you guys!!!

Old 09-26-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by cpgator:
green felt pens????<HR>

The legend is told if you mark on the edges of your cd's or dvd's with a GREEN FELT PEN it will limit some of the dispersion of light from the laser reading the disc and produce a cleaner sound.

I don't buy into it either, but I also don't use cables that cost big $$$ either. I do however like melon, maybe randyc and I should get together
Old 09-26-00, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hire ANY of you guys!!!

<HR>

Great, I couldn't afford the paycut.

Old 09-26-00, 06:00 PM
BEC

I don't think your problems are NECESSARILY tied to having an entry level player. That's a bit of misplaced snobbery, as far as DVD goes. I don't blame internet/mail order either.

DVD is a fairly new format, prone to glitches. New DVD titles get more demanding -branching, higher sustained bit rates, maxed out audio tracks. I think problems are more related to an industry is trying to keep up w/the demand, so debugging and QC from entry level to flagship get sacrificed. You get a few random lemons top to bottom. That's why I usually get an extended warranty. I've already cashed in on one.

[There are, however, a few consistently questionable players/brands ,ie Panasonic 110,115,310 ... but the Toshiba 1200 has had good feedback. The 2109 has had great feedback.]

I have a flagship (it was a year ago) Pioneer DV-09 player. Wonderful machine until it choked on Fight Club. Now it's in the shop. I also had a Pioneer 525 - played the disk fine, albeit w/ slower layers changes and slightly less detailed picture

Did the extra $1000 MSRP ensure more reliability? No.

In fact, I'm nor sure there is a point in buying a player above the $350 mark, IF it's not a progessive scan player. I don't think you are buying MORE reliability.

Old 09-26-00, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh Boy!
TRIAL AND ERROR!!! IF IT DON'T WORK, REPLACE IT WITH A LIKE UNIT, IF THAT DON'T WORK TOO,
hire ANY of you guys!!!

<HR>

How much longer do we have to put up with this so called professional? I believe the personal attack from earlier should be enough to get him banned!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 09-26-00, 06:29 PM
Banned

Djonse,
what personal attack????
Looks like the TRUTH does HURT!!!
You get exactly what you pay for!!! period.
Old 09-26-00, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Djonse,
what personal attack????
Looks like the TRUTH does HURT!!!
You get exactly what you pay for!!! period.
<HR>

Calling someone an a**hole is a personal attack.

If you can't understand this, I doubt I can explain it to you.
Old 09-26-00, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Oh Boy!
hire ANY of you guys!!!

<HR>

Yet, most of us would *love* to have you as a boss.

I doubt that anyone can forsee hardware problems, and trial and error is often the only solution.

As an A/V professional, and given that this thread is asking for assistance, what would you do given this scenario? Your professional opinion is important here. Or did I just call a bluff?

Old 09-26-00, 07:11 PM
Banned

Weargle,
Don't make me laugh HA, HA, HA!!!
Old 09-26-00, 07:16 PM
Banned

Chad,
Take my advice, if you wanna stick with an
entry-level DVD player, go for any of the
Samsung units! You get the most bang for the
buck PLUS excellent Manufacturer support
with any firmware upgrade issues, no questions asked!!!!!
If you have a WARDS nearby, go check them
out, last week they had the 511 for $129.00
No bells and whistles but a solid entry
level unit!!! For much less money than Toshiba!
Old 09-26-00, 07:48 PM
Cool New Member

Samsung?

I had a crap Samsung player from Cambridge soundworks. Not a very reliable player. Lot's of skips and a pretty crap picture.

Software upgrades? They haven't made the picture any better and the thing still skips/locks-up.

Most of the other members recommend Toshiba, Sony or Pioneer if you want a new player. I got a Tosh 3109. Love it.

Looking into the Tosh/Mercata warranty first seems like a better idea than declaring the Toshina dead. If Djones is right, that really blows.

Joel

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.