Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Bay, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Bay, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
6.10%
4.88%
21.95%
12.20%
20.73%
12.20%
3.66%
0%
1.22%
1.22%
4.88%
"Transformers...less than meets the eye!"
10.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 01:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Pre-release and non-review related discussion here.

Movie:
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" (Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, Tyrese Gibson, Patrick Dempsey, Alan Tudyk, Frances McDormand, John Malkovich)

Release Date:
6/29/2011

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense prolonged sequences of sci-fi action violence, mayhem and destruction, language, some sexuality and innuendo, outer space madcapness, earth space madcapness, cheesy one-liners, over-the-top-glossy-action-set-pieces-with-stilted-dialogue-even-the-seasoned-vets-of-acting-can-muck-up-and-that-only-Michael Bay-can overuse throughout)

Running Time:
154min. (2h. 34m.)

Budget:
$195 million

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The Autobots Bumblebee, Ratchet, Ironhide and Sideswipe led by Optimus Prime, are back in action, taking on the evil Decepticons, who are determined to avenge their defeat in 2009s Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. In this new movie, the Autobots and Decepticons become involved in a perilous space race between the U.S. and Russia, and once again human Sam Witwicky has to come to the aid of his robot friends. There's new characters too, including a new villain in the form of Shockwave, a longtime "Transformers" character who rules Cybertron while the Autobots and Decepticons battle it out on Earth.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.7 (54,484 votes as of 7/27/11)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:81 Rotten:146 (36% as of 7/27/11)

Metacritic:
42 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 7/27/11)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="346"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/31704"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/31704" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="346"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 06-27-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Bay, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

If Shockwave is the main villain, why is Soundwave featured so prominently in that poster?
Old 06-27-11, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's just a random poster...possibly, and most likely, fan designed.
Old 06-27-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG! Are there Cylons in this one?!
Old 06-27-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think it's just a random poster...possibly, and most likely, fan designed.
Has to be. That "Be Afraid of the Dark" is a horribly lame tagline. Sounds like something you'd see from a cheesy horror movie.
Old 06-27-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry @ AICN says it's the best of the series

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50176

Which really isn't saying much, especially compared to the last film.
Old 06-27-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Has to be. That "Be Afraid of the Dark" is a horribly lame tagline. Sounds like something you'd see from a cheesy horror movie.
Agreed. It's also the name of the new Spiderman musical.
Old 06-27-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

why can't bay and company put some colors into the decepticons? Since all the decpticons are freaking silver, i don't know who is who in the decepticons side.
Old 06-27-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
Harry @ AICN says it's the best of the series

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50176

Which really isn't saying much, especially compared to the last film.
That dude likes anything that you pay him to like.
Old 06-27-11, 04:15 PM

Final, dubstep laden, official trailer for TF3

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ms4mKKw6nbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-27-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Agreed. It's also the name of the new Spiderman musical.
that's Turn Off the Dark.
Old 06-27-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love this Rotten Tomatoes critic blurb:

Originally Posted by The Vine
The look of the movie is worth five stars, but when you stir in a one-star script, you end up somewhere in the middle.
Fantastic logic. I expect nothing more than a terrible script from Ehren Kruger. Why couldn't Bay just shoot a two-and-a-half-hour film of robots blowing shit up good in 3D for the entire duration of that running time? That's what the people we want.
Old 06-27-11, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still confused how someone can not make a cool script w/ Transformers just blowing shit up and destroying each other on Earth w/ the humans stuck in the middle. It's all this subplot bs that kills it.

It's all this jumping around to the Humans and their problems that kill it.

Decepticons attempt to take over the earth. Autobots vs. Decepticons, w/ US Army helping out, shit exploding (well Bay gets this right), huge drama in the warfare, Autobots win...we all win in the end

sadly...I have to care about Sam's friends and family, w/ bad humor, and somehow Sam has to be in he fight as well...I don't know why. I didn't mind him being involved in the 1st...but after that it makes no sense in shoving him into fucking warfare all the time.
Old 06-28-11, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

loved Scott Weinbergs rant on twitter (yes i will still see it tomorrow)
If I was as wealthy as Michael Bay, I would have no interest of waking up every morning to produce something so fucking terrible. I'll be posting my review of TRANSFORMERS 3 at @twitchfilm and then forgetting its existence. Too many rah-rah fanboys on twitter. Yeah, TRANS 3 squeezes a lot of action into its last hour. All of it terrible. Stop. Let's talk about a better film. Like RESIDENT EVIL 3. A question inspired by the film I saw tonight: what's the most worthless complete trilogy you can think of? The STAR WARS prequel trilogy is the STAR WARS original trilogy compared to the TRANSFORMERS trilogy. I mean that.
Old 06-28-11, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm still confused how someone can not make a cool script w/ Transformers just blowing shit up and destroying each other on Earth w/ the humans stuck in the middle. It's all this subplot bs that kills it.

It's all this jumping around to the Humans and their problems that kill it.

Decepticons attempt to take over the earth. Autobots vs. Decepticons, w/ US Army helping out, shit exploding (well Bay gets this right), huge drama in the warfare, Autobots win...we all win in the end

sadly...I have to care about Sam's friends and family, w/ bad humor, and somehow Sam has to be in he fight as well...I don't know why. I didn't mind him being involved in the 1st...but after that it makes no sense in shoving him into fucking warfare all the time.
Because as the poor quality of the Transformers G1 animation showed us, bringing those robots to life is really cost prohibitive.
Old 06-28-11, 05:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A huge step up from Revenge of the Fallen, by which I mean it didn't make me physically ill. The action is frequently fantastic. 3D has definitely made Bay think about what he's doing in every frame and it shows.

The stuff that isn't action is more problematic. I wouldn't say the script is one-star worthy, but there is a lot of useless, extraneous stuff. And since the movie is so much darker than the first two, the extra human stuff really sticks out like sore thumb. The parents continue to be the best of the useless human characters.

The fugly model chick turns out to be not an awful actress, but her character is bland and she's still not actually attractive.

It's pretty awesome to hear Nimoy as Sentinel Prime, though. At first I didn't know who was doing the voice, then I said out loud, "Oh it's Spock!"
Old 06-28-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Total Film Magazine
...British model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is awful – awful! – as LaBeouf’s new love interest, sucking the life out of every scene she appears in like some pneumatic Dyson sexbot.

Introduced with a leering pan up her Victoria’s Secret pins, she achieves the unlikely feat of making Megan Fox look like a proper actress, particularly at moments where she is required to be in peril.

Huntington-Whiteley is so terrible, in fact, she makes her co-stars bad too. LaBeouf, for one, has rarely looked so sweatily desperate than in scenes where he is obliged to simulate ardour. But then his own performance isn’t much to write home about either, pitched as it is at such a heightened level of consternation you fear he might pass out at any minute.

Verdict:

A largely linear plot and some ingenious appropriation of 20th century history helps T3 correct most of T2’s deficiencies without really matching T1’s superior entertainment value and element of surprise.

3 out of 5 stars.
http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/transformers-3
Old 06-28-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the annoying roommate from ROTF isn't in this, then I don't think I'll mind any of the human stuff. That decision alone should warrant the film a 2 star rating.
Old 06-28-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like it's just more of the same. Wake me up when they reboot this franchise...
Old 06-28-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
and she's still not actually attractive.

Come on... I'm so sick of reading stuff like this. She's "not attractive"... really? So you have much more attractive women coming in and out of your life regularly that you can deem her "not attractive"?

Take a look at this months Maxim and tell me she's not at least "attractive". I know it's subjective but these types of comments just become ridiculous. I guess they should have used the band flute girl from American Pie in her place.
Old 06-28-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Anne Thompson collects some of the early reviews on her blog:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono..._reviews/#more
Old 06-28-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Come on... I'm so sick of reading stuff like this. She's "not attractive"... really? So you have much more attractive women coming in and out of your life regularly that you can deem her "not attractive"?

Take a look at this months Maxim and tell me she's not at least "attractive". I know it's subjective but these types of comments just become ridiculous. I guess they should have used the band flute girl from American Pie in her place.
I think she's pretty good looking though she has some crazy lips going on. At least they had an early start on her action figure.

Spoiler:
Old 06-28-11, 10:11 AM
Banned

Internet nerds calling obviously attractive women ugly is a meme older than the dawn of time itself. If calling them out on it stopped them, it would've ended years ago.
Old 06-28-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

just wait till Maxim does The Women of DVDtalk
Old 06-28-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think she's pretty good looking though she has some crazy lips going on. At least they had an early start on her action figure.

Spoiler:
Rosie's lips turn color depend on her mood. That's pretty cool.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.