DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

"The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series" $77.99 Amazon DOTD

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 04:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series" $77.99 Amazon DOTD

Amazon DOTD: "The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series" $77.99

Enjoy every episode of this legendary series on this 40-disc set. Down-home humor and an endearing cast of characters helped to make "The Andy Griffith Show" one of the most beloved comedies in the history of television. Introduced as a spinoff from "The Danny Thomas Show" in 1960, "The Andy Griffith Show" ran for eight seasons in prime time.
Old 06-25-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series" $77.99 Amazon DOTD

Warning: From what I've heard, the packaging is TERRIBLE, so beware.

I don't think there are any extras not on the individual releases. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-25-11, 01:59 PM

Now that I look at the packaging, all I want is some pie.
Old 06-25-11, 02:59 PM

From Professor Echo post in 2010
"The one extra that was not available with any of the individual season releases was the later TV movie featuring the original cast, RETURN TO MAYBERRY.

However, in December, a new compilation release called The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary: Best of Mayberry will include that same TV movie along with other extras, priced right now for pre-order at Amazon for $22.49.

So if you own the separate season DVD sets, don't buy the complete series just to get the TV movie (believe me, people have!)."

=========

Very tempting, but since I'm half way there - already owning S1 - S4 and the "Best of Mayberry" set - I'll pass because I don't think I'd get much for what I already have.

Last edited by mr Articulate; 06-25-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-25-11, 03:06 PM
Banned

I think Sheriff Andy Taylor is the most admirable television character ever presented.
Old 06-25-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkblue
I think Sheriff Andy Taylor is the most admirable television character ever presented.
I agree with this because he was not portrayed as being flawless, though he almost always was well intentioned, even when he failed. I also loved how worldly he was, yet lived in that small town his whole life.

Unlike most, I enjoy the color seasons, but they certainly made his character more grumpy and angry in those years. Not sure why, maybe the absence of Barney and indeed the absence of Don Knotts made both the Andy character and Andy Griffith the actor less enthusiastic about everything. I know Griffith has stated he was losing interest toward the end and was not giving it his all and you can tell, but why they made him so short tempered in the last three seasons, who knows?

Back on topic, I recently watched some episodes by a friend's house from the individual seasons and they included original sponsor commercials, though not the sponsor's tags. I was under the impression that the individual seasons had NO extras at all, but the commercials were on there. As for the sponsor's tags, they are on most of the episodes that are part of the 50th Anniversary collection.
Old 06-25-11, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate

Very tempting, but since I'm half way there - already owning S1 - S4 and the "Best of Mayberry" set - I'll pass because I don't think I'd get much for what I already have.
YMMV, but checking ebays completed auctions, you might get around $40 for the 4 seasons if sold individually...if this works, look at the variation on season one alone!
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.htm....c0.m270.l1313
Old 06-25-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DVDpricesearch.com should give you a better indication as to who has it the cheapest.
Old 06-25-11, 07:34 PM

Yeah it appears these are the cardboard sleeves so popular with complete collections. Anybody have this and can report on damage to discs?
Old 06-25-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have it but my cousin bought it last year for his Mom and it played good for them. I already owned the single set and he made me a copy of the movie disc so I'm all good. I seen his mom's set and I would say buy the single sets if you can afford them. They have been in the $10-$12 range lately and most of you will only want Seasons 1 - 5 anyway.
Old 06-26-11, 05:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblue
Unless memory brings a better choice to mind, I agree. Great show. Perhaps my second favorite series of all-time after The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Old 06-26-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Unless memory brings a better choice to mind, I agree. Great show. Perhaps my second favorite series of all-time after The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Dr. Richard Kimble comes close. A man who through tragic circumstances became a victim and had to overcome hardships and life threatening obstacles constantly, yet was always portrayed as being selfless and a positive influence on whomever he met.