Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season Finale -- "Fire and Blood" -- 6/19/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the 1st season of Game of Thrones?
Loved it!
84.31%
It was good, not great.
7.84%
It was okay. I had some issues with it compared to the books.
1.31%
I was really disappointed. The books are so much better.
0%
Thought it sucked. This show just isn't for me. The books are better.
0.65%
Didn't watch because I'm too cheap to pay for HBO. Will wait for the BD/DVD
1.96%
Watched the show & liked it, but I didn't "pay for HBO" and won't for season 2
2.61%
Watched the show and liked it, didn't "pay for HBO", but I think I will in the future.
1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The first season ends with tragic news reaching all corners of the Seven Kingdoms, which coincides with a shared vision by Bran and Rickon Stark. Meanwhile, Catelyn presses Jaime about her son's fall; Tyrion heads south following his father's surprising decision; Arya tries to escape from King's Landing; Jon faces a difficult choice at the Night's Watch; and Daenerys suffers a terrible setback.

Episode 10 of 10

Preview:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1186141"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep.10 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1186141%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1186141" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep.10 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1186141%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>

HBO announced this week that they will begin principal photography of season 2 on July 25th.
Old 06-18-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season Finale -- "Fire and Blood" -- 6/19/11

This is it.

Official sites:

HBO's Viewer guide with interactive Map/Houses
Official HBO Game of Thrones Site
Official George RR Martin Site
Production Dairies from Season One

Sites with Useful Infographics:

Hauteslide's Illustrated Guide to Houses, Character Relationships and Locations
Screenrant's Illustrated House Tree with Actor pictures

General GoT/ASIOAF sites:

Winter is Coming - Most up to date info/rumors about Game of Thrones on HBO
Tower of Hand - Unofficial Companion to GRRM's ASIOAF. You will find chapter summaries, character profiles, family trees, timelines, guides
Westeros - ASIOAF Portal with information, the ASIOAF Wikia as well as Large Forums

Worthy weekly Recaps/Reviews:

James Hibberd from Entertainment Weekly
Alan Sepinwall from Hitfix
James Poniewozak from Time
Maureen Ryan from AOL
Todd Vanderwerff from AV Club
Jace Lacob from Televisionary
Myles McNutt from Cultural Learnings
Andrew Dansby from Houston Chronicle
Sarah Hughes from the Guardian
Jennifer Braun from NJ Star Ledger

Other:

Entertainment Weekly's Game of Throne coverage
TV Tropes and Idioms: A Song of Ice and Fire
Television With Out Pity Game of Thrones Coverage with Active Forums
Old 06-18-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice poll questions. Now Dj, the question is. What gets watched live..and what gets DVR'ed. GoT or the Killing.
Old 06-18-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Sorry, I shouldn't have referenced the books in the poll choices since I know alot here didn't read the books including myself. You can still vote in all the choices even if you didn't read the books.
Old 06-18-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Nice poll questions. Now Dj, the question is. What gets watched live..and what gets DVR'ed. GoT or the Killing.
For me, GOT live and The Killing later in the night.
Old 06-18-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
For me, GOT live and The Killing later in the night.
ooh just noticed Falling skies too.. Thank god I don't watch the Killing, otherwise I would need a 2nd DVR, DVR'ing GoT and Falling Skies.
Old 06-18-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God I am so amped up for tomorrow. The last time I felt there was appointment Television for myself was when the X-files were on Friday Nights.
Old 06-18-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be curious to see if anyone votes for "I pirated it" (yes, paraphrased), especially since we can all see who votes for which options. HBO at $10/month (4 episodes per month = $2.50/episode) is well worth it in this case. But I know for some people, it's not as simple as just purchasing HBO. Sometimes they make you upgrade to certain tiers/packages before you can even add on premium channels, and that's where the cost can get prohibitive (if you're not already in those tiers).

I spent a good chunk of time after last week's episode thinking that was the finale. It was only after reading a post here that I realized there is another episode to go.

I haven't really been able to comment on the finale because it was just so dramatic for me. It'a make-believe, but man... I had so many different emotions to Ned's demise. But most of all, I didn't really want to say anything that would distract from the fact that I thought it was an excellent episode, and an excellent series. Kudos to all involved.

It almost seems redundant at this point to say the synopsis above doesn't sound too promising. If anyone is still expecting "promising" at this point, you haven't been paying attention. We're getting a ruthless story here, and we're going to have to look for the rays of sunshine amidst the general darkness whereever we can find them, such as Arya. Unless of course, she's killed this week. If you've read the books, you know whether or not that happens. But if you haven't, can you be sure?

I think that's one reason why Ned's demise is so gutting. There are precious few characters we can look at who hold honor in such high regard. If we want people to behave honorably, we need people to show that's an acceptable / rewarding life path to take. But when the people who take that path are stripped of their honor and killed (to the cheers of the crowd), what does that leave? I could go oin for pages about why Ned's demise was so gutting. I've saved each episode and I"ll definitely be rewatching the whole season before Season 2 starts.
Old 06-18-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I'll be curious to see if anyone votes for "I pirated it" (yes, paraphrased), especially since we can all see who votes for which options.
Those outside the US
Old 06-18-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as to the poll question I answered ... "Loved it!"

I would have answered ...

"Watched the show and loved it, didn't "pay for HBO" because I got it for 3 months free from Directv, will cancel after the 3 months is up but will renew again when season 2 comes along"

.... but that was not an option listed

hopefully there is a nice blu ray set that will be released shortly after season's end with some good extras
Old 06-18-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The internet is going to shit its pants when they see the last scene.
Old 06-18-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll be curious to see if anyone votes for "I pirated it" (yes, paraphrased), especially since we can all see who votes for which options. HBO at $10/month (4 episodes per month = $2.50/episode) is well worth it in this case. But I know for some people, it's not as simple as just purchasing HBO. Sometimes they make you upgrade to certain tiers/packages before you can even add on premium channels, and that's where the cost can get prohibitive (if you're not already in those tiers).
Also, you can't forget access to HBOGo and being able to watch episode 7 early and access special features for GOT and watch other HBO shows. If HBO continues to spend money on quality shows like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and in the upcoming show Luck, I am more than happy to spend my hard earned money to support them. I know we all have different financial situations, but honestly I just wouldn't feel right watching this show through "alternative means" and say yeah HBO is the best, but I'm not paying for their stuff.
Old 06-18-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I know I'm way late to the party, but I just watched episode 9 last night after I got home from work and holy cow! Killing off your lead in the 1st season is pretty much unheard of.

Question for those who read the books. You don't need to spoilerize it. Was Ned killed off this early?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-18-11 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-18-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't read the books, but I can tell you yes. This also leads me to the obvious conclusion that Ned wasn't ever the hero of the story. He's like the Franz Ferdinand of this series; his death is the powder keg.
Old 06-18-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
The internet is going to shit its pants when they see the last scene.
I'm hoping that scene lives up to the awesomeness I have built up in my mind (having read the book). From this season's track record, I'm thinking it will. It should make a great season-ending cliffhanger.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This also leads me to the obvious conclusion that Ned wasn't ever the hero of the story. He's like the Franz Ferdinand of this series; his death is the powder keg.
Exactly! As has been pointed out by the book readers in another GoT thread, the "real" heroes seem to be (bit of a spoiler, since this tells who didn't die yet):
Spoiler:
Tyrion, Arya, and Jon
Old 06-18-11, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly Cersei is the hero of the story. Just a nice lady trying to make it in a mans world.
Old 06-18-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ooh just noticed Falling skies too.. Thank god I don't watch the Killing, otherwise I would need a 2nd DVR, DVR'ing GoT and Falling Skies.
Game of Thrones and The Killing both air about 3 times Sunday night, so you wouldn't have a problem.
Old 06-18-11, 09:37 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're trying to figure out who the heroes of the story are, you're not paying attention. There are no heroes. There are no villains. There are just people, trying their damnedest to do what they think is right for themselves and for the people they care about. I don't think there is a single character who is either entirely sympathetic or entirely unsympathetic.
Old 06-18-11, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF
If you're trying to figure out who the heroes of the story are, you're not paying attention. There are no heroes. There are no villains. There are just people, trying their damnedest to do what they think is right for themselves and for the people they care about. I don't think there is a single character who is either entirely sympathetic or entirely unsympathetic.
How is Arya not entirely sympathetic? How about Jon? Both of those characters are clearly meant to be heroes.
Old 06-18-11, 11:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Arya stabbed a boy in King's Landing, just to watch him die.
Old 06-19-11, 12:24 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
How is Arya not entirely sympathetic? How about Jon? Both of those characters are clearly meant to be heroes.
They both whine an awful lot. Jon in particular. Arya's got an excuse -- she's a 10-year-old girl. Jon just acts like a 10-year-old girl.

But as long as we're talking about relatively sympathetic characters, how about Dany?
Old 06-19-11, 01:30 AM
Banned

They both whine an awful lot. Jon in particular. Arya's got an excuse -- she's a 10-year-old girl. Jon just acts like a 10-year-old girl.
Nice argument there. Like heroes haven't whined since the beginning of time. Whining is practically one of the defining characteristics of a protagonist.

Even in the novels Arya and Jon are clearly meant to be the heroes. Saying there "are no heroes" is just ignorant. No matter how "adult" you may believe it to be, A Song is still a fantasy story. There are shades of grey, yes, but there are also still good guys and bad guys.

And yes, Dany is also one of the good guys. She also whines a good deal.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 06-19-11 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-19-11, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be curious to see if anyone votes for "I pirated it" (yes, paraphrased), especially since we can all see who votes for which options..
Well there was a poll for the season premiere, and about 25% said they were going to get via alternative means.
Old 06-19-11, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But as long as we're talking about relatively sympathetic characters, how about Dany?
Well Jon is a bastard.
Old 06-19-11, 03:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Jon is a bastard.
You shouldn't call people names.....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.