Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Speaker Positioning Dilemma

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker Positioning Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-00, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using three BIC 62Si speakers for Front L/R and the center channel. All are positioned vertically with the tweeters just above ear level. Problem is, my wife just ordered a new wall unit that's due to arrive in about a week. Its center height is 72 inches while the left and right cabinets are both about 66 inches tall. It also has cutouts for placing the front L/R speakers at about 55 inches inside the unit provided I position them horizontally; no space for center except top of unit.
1. What advantages/disadvantages are there to placing all three speakers vertically atop the unit? Is that too high?
2. What advantages/disadvantages are there to placing all three speakers atop the unit horizontally? Should front L/R tweeters point inside or out?
3. What advantages/disadvantages are there to placing the front L/R in the cutouts (horizontally) and placing the center on top (horizontally)?
Old 09-27-00, 10:43 AM

Having the center speaker off screen is taxing to the brain...
You want the sound from the center to be as close to the screen as possible so you get the illusion that the dialogue and stuff is really coming from the events on screen and not from somewhere above.
Although not the idea positions, some people have it that way and have no problems with it.
Old 09-27-00, 11:05 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by new2me:
I'm using three BIC 62Si speakers for Front L/R and the center channel. All are positioned vertically with the tweeters just above ear level. Problem is, my wife just ordered a new wall unit that's due to arrive in about a week. Its center height is 72 inches while the left and right cabinets are both about 66 inches tall. It also has cutouts for placing the front L/R speakers at about 55 inches inside the unit provided I position them horizontally; no space for center except top of unit.
1. What advantages/disadvantages are there to placing all three speakers vertically atop the unit? Is that too high?
2. What advantages/disadvantages are there to placing all three speakers atop the unit horizontally? Should front L/R tweeters point inside or out?
3. What advantages/disadvantages are there to placing the front L/R in the cutouts (horizontally) and placing the center on top (horizontally)?
<HR>

I would think that your third option there would be the best once, but your ears are really the judge of that.. try all three and see what sounds best.

As for the potential disadvantages, placing them sideways like that is bound to have some effect on the imaging characteristics of the speaker, but I'm not sure just how noticible it will be.