Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Trade-In Credit Question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if trade-in credit from Amazon can be used at Amazon UK?
Old 06-10-11, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Trade-In Credit Question

No go, different systems.
Old 06-11-11, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the reply. That sucks for my wallet. Will make me spend an extra $30 I was hoping to save. Oh well.... more blus for me haha
Old 06-23-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Is there any credits that are more then 1 or 2 bucks?
Any that I've check are no more then that and not reallly worth it for me.

Last edited by whotony; 06-27-11 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends what it is. I got $19 for the single disc of Philosophy of a Knife which is oop and listed around 35 on Amazon but only sells for about $12-13 on ebay. It all really depends what it is selling for in the marketplace.
Old 06-26-11, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
Is there any credits that are emote then 1 or 2 bucks?
Any that I've check are no more then that and not reallly worth it for me.
I find the "buy back" prices so ridiculously low I don't even bother looking anymore. THE SLAPSTICK ENCYCLOPEDIA, for example, is long out of print, sells used on Amazon for $149.00 at the lowest but Amazon will gladly buy back your copy for a whopping four bucks. No thanks!!
Old 06-27-11, 08:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

With all the Ebay fees in place and pain in the a$$ buyers, for anything small I just sell it to Amazon. I know it is not as much, but factor in the fees and the aggravation and it is not bad. Since Amazon pays for shipping, it makes it pain free.
Old 07-06-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by 30smovies
I find the "buy back" prices so ridiculously low I don't even bother looking anymore. THE SLAPSTICK ENCYCLOPEDIA, for example, is long out of print, sells used on Amazon for $149.00 at the lowest but Amazon will gladly buy back your copy for a whopping four bucks. No thanks!!
I got $55 for my Complete Far Side Collection. I thought that was pretty good as it was going for about $75 used (and shipping would be pretty expensive).
Old 07-07-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
With all the Ebay fees in place and pain in the a$$ buyers, for anything small I just sell it to Amazon. I know it is not as much, but factor in the fees and the aggravation and it is not bad. Since Amazon pays for shipping, it makes it pain free.
I'm the same way...I've traded back in a ton of DVDs and Blu-rays to Amazon just because I don't want to deal with individually trying to sell them on Ebay and dealing with all the issues that could/would arise from that.
Old 07-07-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded in 9 DVD's (nothin' really special) and they gave me $19 bucks, which is GREAT!...turned around and picked up Kiss Me Deadly Blu for a buck fifty.
A few months back I brought 17 DVD's to Newbury Comics and all they gave me was $14 ....goodbye Newbury.
Old 07-07-11, 07:31 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a ton of DVDs ready to do the trade in, titles I couldn't sell for anything. Luckily, someone from a local flea market offered me $1 ea, so I was able to make $400 instead of the $240 Amazon was offering me for the 400 DVDs. For me, I'm just trying to clear room and get rid of stuff, so anything I get I am happy with.

I did trade in Lovers on the Bridge and Out f the Blue and got $37 for those two, which was nice.
Old 07-26-11, 05:16 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I don't think my questions/comments are worth their own thread. I've been looking at ways to sell/trade-in a few items and I'm undecided on whether or not Amazon Trade-In would be the best option overall. I'm leaning towards it, if only because I am so inexperienced at the other options.

While I have purchased things from craigslist, ebay, Amazon Marketplace et al., I have never sold anything online that I can recall. I'm wondering if it is really worth the time and potential stress to list them, ship them individually, yadda yadda yadda.

On the other hand, it seems like most of the time that I add something to my trade-in account, it immediately drops in price within a day or two. One would think I've learned my lesson by now as you can submit and cancel a trade-in order at any time. For example, just last night I was curious as to what Amazon would give me for BU's BD of "The Bird with Crystal Plumage". I know that it went OOP some time back, but I was still surprised to see them offering me $44.00 for my copy! Thinking that it could be going for even higher on other "markets", I decided to sleep on it. Now, less than a day later, it is down 25% to $33, which is still almost twice than what I paid for it. I don't want to be greedy, but I don't want to have regrets if I can help it.

I've noticed this before as well. Do you think Amazon keeps track of how many copies of a certain title are in the "limbo" cart, or is this just a random fluctuation? Or, perhaps they just adjust according to their used inventory. In the past, I've seen certain titles go from $15+ to less than a buck within a week, though I realize reissues and the like play a big part of that. I'm still kicking myself for not trading in my set of HD DVD HDscape(?) titles, which at one point were much higher than what I had paid for them. (This was well after HD DVD died....RIP.)

I find it more interesting than aggravating I suppose.

I can tend to be indecisive when it comes to situations like this and I realize that the price of some of this stuff is all relative. Is $66.50 a good trade-in value for the Planet of the Apes DVD/Caesar's Head Ed.? I think so? Heck, it's been sitting in my closet boxed up for years so I suppose anything would suffice.

Also, our place was robbed last year and although the bastards got my TV and BD player (and a lot more), they didn't find the BD remote or the TV stand since it was mounted. Is that stuff worth putting up on ebay? (I wanted to put them on craigslist to try and lure the criminal(s) out, but never did.)

I guess I am just thinking out loud here more than anything, but if someone wants to chime in with an opinion or a suggestion I will appreciate it.

Last edited by beesonosu; 07-26-11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found Amazon trade in was worth it to me in the past because it was far less stress than using Ebay, etc. Not paying for shipping titles out was a great bonus too. I found this thread because I was looking for recent opinions on this. I hope you didn't waste time trying to sell your remote and tv stand on Ebay...

I had planned on trying it again this month because I thought that trade in prices were suddenly generous again since last time I used it, but I discovered that wasn't really the case. The "trade this item in for up to..." lure shows prices now for what would be accepted for the item if you were to trade it in 100% new and in its original sealed packaging. I guess this is more for those who don't want to hassle with Christmas returns this year, but it's disappointing to click on it and discover that "like new" (the original lure offer) is considerably less than it used to be. For many blu rays, the top offer was $1.10 or even less at the least even for some more recent titles.

If you can get a decent trade in value, go for it. Especially something that sits in your closet that may never be displayed or used. I think the prices fluctuate due to demand, so something worth a lot one day could be worth very little the next. After plugging in a bunch of titles this afternoon, I came to the realization that I could hold a garage sale or even offer up items here for a heck of a lot more than Amazon is offering.
Old 12-22-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any luck trading in a bilingual cover DVD? I got a copy of the Twisted Terrors boxset and wanted to sell my extras of Deadly Friend and Eyes of a Stranger, but the ones in the box set have bilingual covers, which I think might be a bitch to get rid of. Unfortunately my other copies were Big Lots copies with UPC slashes, so I think I'm stuck with both copies of each.
Old 12-26-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone have any experience trading in Region 2 DVD's? I was surprised to see quite a few I looked up had trade-in values on them and often pretty good prices. I saw one mention on the Amazon forum that these got rejected, but it seems there are way too many offering credit for that to be the case especially since many of them say Region 2 in the title. Unless of course there is just some auto-program that chooses the prices and it doesn't know its Region 2 till the person actually checking them looks at it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Free shipping both ways and just the ease of use are big factors for me. I don't want to screw with ebay or half.com, and I want to minimize the hassle of craigslist. It's not like I won't spend Amazon credit, and i'd rather get 8 bucks in amazon credit than 12 at Gamestop or 10 and have to meet some from CL and do all that logistical crap.

I do think the 'trade in for X.XX' is misleading - that's somewhat recent, that the best price is for truly new, in-shrink items. That has drastically dropped the value of an "average" trade in, based on what I've seen.

I will submit a trade, then, since you have a week to send it, check the trade in value each day. If it goes up, I'll cancel the first one and do a new one. My volume/cancels aren't enough, I guess, to make them mad yet.

My last garage sale had me working about 16 hours and I netted like fifty bucks. It's not worth it to me, I'll take a little less and get to sleep in on Saturday.

Regarding Region 2, check the UPC code. I think that's what they go by.
Old 12-26-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Regarding Region 2, check the UPC code. I think that's what they go by.
Yeah some titles comes up via UPC, some don't. Can find the majority of the stuff by doing a search by title if the UPC doesn't work.

I am going to send in a test box this week and will probably just throw in a couple of the Region 2 discs and see what happens.
Old 12-26-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried trading in a region 2 copy of The Stuff... everything matched but it was rejected and sent back twice for having the wrong upc... which I had no way of checking.
Old 12-26-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I tried trading in a region 2 copy of The Stuff... everything matched but it was rejected and sent back twice for having the wrong upc... which I had no way of checking.
Did that UPC not come up when you searched for it on the site?
Old 12-27-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't search the upc... didn't think to. It wasn't listed under the product details of the dvd (which I think is stupid) but it was the same company, same artwork, same features, all the same stuff but didn't work out for a trade.

I was able to get a good trade with someone a month or so later so it worked out nice.
Old 12-30-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about to send in a box with at least a half-dozen Region 2 discs, so I do hope they don't get rejected. None of them are R2 versions of identical R1 titles, they're all R2 exclusives from BFI and Artificial Eye. Since they have their own listings, I'm assuming everything will go smoothly.
Old 12-30-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well the box I sent in was delivered (super early this morning), but they have not confirmed it was received yet.

Will let everyone know what they end up doing about the Region 2 discs. I only sent ones that came up when I actually searched by the UPC.
Old 01-03-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They finally confirmed my first shipment today.

All of the Region 2 DVDs I sent (5 of them) were accepted.

These were all added via UPC.
Old 01-03-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like UPC is the core thing to a smooth transaction...
Old 01-03-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
Sounds like UPC is the core thing to a smooth transaction...
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of Region 2 DVDs don't show up via a UPC search, even if that version is listed on the site, with or without a trade-in value.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.