Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
10.81%
26.13%
27.03%
10.81%
10.81%
7.21%
3.60%
1.80%
0%
0.90%
0%
It arrives. But, I won’t.
0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 03:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Super 8" (Starring: Joel Courtney, Kyle Chandler, Ron Eldard, Elle Fanning, Noah Emmerich)

Release Date:
6/10/2011

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi action, children in peril, eschatological terms are used sometimes, the mere mention of beer and unfair comparisons to ‘M.A.C. and Me’ throughout)

Running Time:
112min. (1h. 52m.)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local Deputy tries to uncover the truth - something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.0 (12,199 votes as of 6/18/11)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:167 Rotten:35 (83% as of 6/18/11)

Metacritic:
72 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 6/18/11)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/37065"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/37065" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="349"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 06-08-11, 10:12 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Super 8 (Abrams, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

actually, reviews slowly increasing on RT and meta.
Old 06-08-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It was 81% yesterday so not a big surprise.
Old 06-08-11, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are sneak previews running all day tomorrow:

http://www.super8-movie.com/sneak/

I might check it out tomorrow instead of Friday.
Old 06-08-11, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nickee
There are sneak previews running all day tomorrow:

http://www.super8-movie.com/sneak/

I might check it out tomorrow instead of Friday.
I know I am. The Harkins IMAX theater at Arizona Mills is probably the best theater I've ever been to. Well worth the $15 price tag to see a movie (As long as the movie is worth it of course, like this one should be).
Old 06-09-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it today. I mostly liked it but it is very derivative, some of that having more of a Goonies (ugh) feel than an ET feel.

I liked the first third and second third much more than the last. It is very predictable and cliched and much of that last third seems rather awkward.

Old 06-09-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I liked it - a lot. Kudos to JJ for reminding us of what summer films are SUPPOSED to be like. Easily the best summer movie so far.
Old 06-09-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
I saw it today. I mostly liked it but it is very derivative, some of that having more of a Goonies (ugh) feel than an ET feel.

I liked the first third and second third much more than the last. It is very predictable and cliched and much of that last third seems rather awkward.

I like Goonies way more than E.T. so that's good to hear.
Old 06-09-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't seen it yet, but there is one thing I know. Over the years, I have found that I agree with Leonard Maltin more than most other film critics. Here is his review. After reading this review, I am completely stoked to see this!
Old 06-09-11, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hated the Goonies as a kid and dislike it now, it's a good movie..I just don't jive w/ it.

I'm pretty sure I'll like it much more than I liked The Goonies.
Old 06-09-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is the best movie you'll see all summer folks. the third act is a little wonky but overall i loved it and think abrams did a wonderful job hitting all the spielberg touchstones while still delivering something original. the kid actors were all stellar and had a great dynamic and got a good number of laughs out of me. i thought the pacing was great; shifting between the kids and the monster attacks - really didn't get boring for even a second. essentially it's THE GOONIES meets ET if ET was the CLOVERFIELD monster. just overall a great time and it needs to be seen on the big screen without a doubt. go see it 4 times in the theater.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 06-09-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 08:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This movie felt really meh to me. It was more Spielberg than Abrams, which I wouldn't mind except Abrams is a good enough filmmaker in his own right that he doesn't have to imitate anyone else. You know something is wrong when your first original movie feels less like your work than the two franchise sequels you directed before it.

I'll give Abrams props for focusing on characters before action, but other than the main kid, the girl, and the guy with all the fireworks, I didn't like any of the kids. Most of them are ill-defined, and the guy directing the super eight movie is just a dick.

I also didn't like how by the numbers this was. If you've seen ET and Close Encounters, you've seen this movie. Scenes were taken from those films whole cloth. I knew everything that was going to happen before it happened. No surprises at all.

Also, Abrams needs to fire every one of his creature designers, because the creatures in Cloverfield, Star Trek, and now Super 8 all fucking suck. They've got a million appendages and have no memorable characteristics. You wait the whole movie to see the monster and once you do you can barely remember what it looked like. When you see the Predator, you don't forget what that looks like, or a Xenomorph, or even ET (or hell, even Mac from Mac and Me). Not so with Super 8.

That being said, there are some good things about it. The main kid was good, as was the girl. There are two big action set pieces that were masterfully done and showed the kind of vision Abrams can have. My favorite shot was when the kid put up the lost dog poster on a bulletin board and then realized the whole board was full of missing dog posters. That was nicely done.

If you're looking for something that reminds you of those Spielberg 80's flicks, this will get the job done. If you're looking for something that will surprise you or feel original, steer clear of Super 8.
Old 06-09-11, 10:35 PM

Saw the first show at 1:00 at Arizona Mills and found the film completely astounding! As of now, I can't wait to see it again! This is the kind of film that the summer was meant for. And to top it all off, unlike other summer tent-pole flicks (I'm looking at you, Transformers franchise!), this one remembers that the story is the most important element of the movie, and what the dramatic impact is heading for. I loved these characters, and their dramatic backstories behind them. And there are about 4-5 moments of tension throughout this film that had me on the edge of my seat (I was actually scared!). And unlike many others, I liked the monster. His face is still stuck in my mind. Despite one continuity error toward the end (You''ll know it when you see it), I loved every moment of this spectacularly terrific movie, and it is still resting prominanetly in my mind. I hope to go back and see it at midnight tonight. I loved it from beginning to end!

Rating: ***** out of *****
Old 06-10-11, 12:19 AM
Banned by request

Oh, I may be off my rocker, but is the actor who played Old Man Woodward the same guy who played the science teacher in Gremlins who Billy gives a Mogwai to?
Old 06-10-11, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMDB says you're correct.
Old 06-10-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Oh, I may be off my rocker, but is the actor who played Old Man Woodward the same guy who played the science teacher in Gremlins who Billy gives a Mogwai to?
I can't say who he played in Gremlins, but he was indeed in the film.

ETA: ^Beaten to the punch.
Old 06-10-11, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

I thought he looked familiar. God I love Gremlins.
Old 06-10-11, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Special effects aside, this felt like an old school summer movie. I thought the end was a bit weak, as it felt sort of like ET and Close Encounters mixed together, but the first half of the movie was 4 star material.

The kids all did a great job, the train sequence was breath taking, and there was a couple really good scares here and there. Still, I thought the monster looked like a baby version of the Cloverfield monster.

My favorite shot was when the kid put up the lost dog poster on a bulletin board and then realized the whole board was full of missing dog posters. That was nicely done.
I might be alone, but I didn't like that shot too much. Brought back flashbacks of 9/11, with the endless boards of missing people.
Old 06-10-11, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

That connection didn't occur to me at all, probably because it was dogs in a small town and we knew it was some monster chasing them away.

Spoiler:
If the movie had real balls the creature would have eaten the dogs.

Speaking of the creature's motives, why was it abducting people? It seemed like no one was permanently harmed. What was the creature doing with them?
Old 06-10-11, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Spoiler:
eating them
Old 06-10-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ this.

P.S. no need for spoiler tags in this thread...

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 06-10-11 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone get a MONSTER SQUAD vibe when the kids went to ask the older sister to hit on the stoner dude for his car?

speaking of the older sister...was the ass shot from the trailer in the actual film?
Old 06-10-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
^ this.

P.S. no need for spoiler tags in this thread...
Do what? I figured a thread like this was the prime reason spoiler tags existed. For you know, getting peoples opinions on if a movie is worth $14 or not without actually reading a summary of the movie.
Old 06-10-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Do what? I figured a thread like this was the prime reason spoiler tags existed. For you know, getting peoples opinions on if a movie is worth $14 or not without actually reading a summary of the movie.
i always thought these reviews threads were so we could freely discuss the movie AFTER seeing it...
Old 06-10-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i always thought these reviews threads were so we could freely discuss the movie AFTER seeing it...
No, no people always use spoiler tags in the review threads.
Your post should be like any other review: with a minimum of spoilers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.