Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3) announced @ E3

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3) announced @ E3

Sly Cooper Thieves in Time is real. You know that from the news out of PlayStation's E3 2011 Press Conference, but that was just a trailer of what's to come. I've seen the full E3 demo. I can tell you it looks good -- really good -- but I couldn't help myself from asking questions about the developer when I was watching the game. Namely, "Who the hell is Sanzaru Games?"

The answer is simple. Sanzaru is a San Francisco Bay Area developer that noticed one its favorite franchises wasn't getting a fourth installment and thought that sucked. Still, I'm getting ahead of myself. Years ago, some folks broke away from Activision and created Sanzaru. The developer made Ninja Reflex for the Wii and DS and moved on to porting Secret Agent Clank to the PS2. But when Clank was about done, these folks decided it was time to do something they loved.

They ponied up the cash for a PlayStation 3 development kit and sat down to create a Sly Cooper demo. From scratch. With no assets from Sucker Punch -- the developer that created the franchise but had since moved on to Infamous -- Sanzaru went to work on their version of the "Thievius Racconus."

In a month, Sanzaru created a playable demo of what it though Sly in HD should be. Sony agreed with the vision and -- perhaps more importantly -- so did Sucker Punch. That led to Sanzaru porting the original PS2 games to the PS3's Sly Collection while working on what would go on to become Sly Cooper Thieves in Time.

When I heard the guys behind Sanzaru talk about their game, it was clear how much they care about this franchise. They had nothing but glowing things to say about Sucker Punch and its three Sly games, but at the same time, they were full of ideas on how to make Sly relevant again. They kept the idea of starting fresh -- they're not reusing code from the games they ported but instead are learning techniques from it. They're intent on "staying true to the spirit" of the original games, and from the two levels I saw, I think they're on track -- this looks like what you'd expect a new Sly to look like on the PS3, and its packing familiar faces, too. It's super-slick and expands on the ideas we all associate with the franchise.

It sucks, but that's all I can tell you right now. At least the important stuff is known -- you know that Sly Cooper Thieves in Time is real, you know the story of Sanzaru Games, and you know that this game looks good. I can't wait to tell you about it this Tuesday.
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1172861p1.html
Old 06-07-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
Re: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3) announced @ E3

That's sort of a remarkable developer story. Obviously, Sly 4 is a day 1 purchase for me.
Old 06-07-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

That's a cool story. Definitely looking forward to this.
Old 06-07-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/75COYbWCjHs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/75COYbWCjHs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 06-08-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointing to say the least.
Old 06-08-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzy
Disappointing to say the least.
I thought it doesn't look half bad.
Old 06-08-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about it was disappointing? It seemed in line with the past Sly games. It's also probably a year or so out from release, so I wouldn't expect it to look super polished just yet.
Old 06-08-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks almost exactly like the hd remakes which while not a bad thing you would expect some kind of new tech or improvement of some kind. I think that's what he meant.
Old 06-08-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved Sly 1-3 on the PS2, can't wait for this one. I haven't played the HD Collection, but I'll probably pick it up sometime before Sly 4 comes out.
Old 06-09-11, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
It looks almost exactly like the hd remakes which while not a bad thing you would expect some kind of new tech or improvement of some kind. I think that's what he meant.
HD remake

Sly 4
Old 06-10-11, 11:25 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

This announcement piqued my interest. It looks like a lot of fun.

Before I play it though, I'll have to go through my Sly Cooper Collection disc as this is one of the franchises I've barely played. Only put a couple of hours into part one in the past. Had a lot of fun with it then though.
Old 06-11-11, 12:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never played the Sly games, but I hear great things. I'll need to grab the collection.