Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

POlk RT55i's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-00, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on the new Polk RT55i series. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers(mains, center & surround). I already have a Velodyne sub (shakes the house) I'm willing to spend some cash, upwards of a grand to put the finishing touches on this 3 year long project. Any advise would be great. I really like the look of the blue cones against the black oak cabinets. But performance beats appearance every time.

------------------
You got a Monkey? - KingPin
Old 09-17-00, 04:25 AM
Cool New Member

I have the Rt55i's both as fronts and rears and I am very happy with what I have. My system consist of the following
Fronts plk rt55i
rears rt55i
center cs400i
sub psw1200
reciever hk avr7000
rca Dvd player

I might not have the best system even though it all consist of Polk but some of my friends have BW and NHT and mine sounds just as good, it all depends on placement and how much power you are going to run to them. I would not worry about being dissatisfied with them. Just check out audioreview.com and see what others have to say.
Old 09-17-00, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jmeitz:
I have the Rt55i's both as fronts and rears and I am very happy with what I have. My system consist of the following
Fronts plk rt55i
rears rt55i
center cs400i
sub psw1200
reciever hk avr7000
rca Dvd player

I might not have the best system even though it all consist of Polk but some of my friends have BW and NHT and mine sounds just as good, it all depends on placement and how much power you are going to run to them. I would not worry about being dissatisfied with them. Just check out audioreview.com and see what others have to say.
<HR>

Sounds like a great system with quality speakers all around..... yet... whats this I see?!? An RCA DVD player!.... *grin*

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 09-18-00, 01:01 PM
Cool New Member

I got the RCA player for 50 bucks, I cannot complain plus it was brand new. Back when CC was doing away with DIVX I picked it up for that price.
Old 09-18-00, 01:19 PM

thanks for the input. I checked out audioreview.com and most of the people had nothing but good info on the Polk's. My next question is, do you know of a good e-tailer to purchase the speakers?
Old 09-18-00, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

How much are you looking to spend? I have a pair that I use for the rear that I am looking to sell to by other rears. Shoot me an offer. They only have about 6 hrs or so on them. This have boxes and manuals for them.
Old 09-18-00, 03:03 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jmeitz:
How much are you looking to spend? I have a pair that I use for the rear that I am looking to sell to by other rears. Shoot me an offer. They only have about 6 hrs or so on them. This have boxes and manuals for them.<HR>

I'm looking to spend under a grand. Can I ask why you are selling? I'll reply later with a possible offer.
Old 09-18-00, 03:25 PM
Cool New Member

I am looking to possibly get some fx1000 for the rears, but i am not sure because i like the rt55i's. Not sure how this will effect my future home theater setup.
Old 09-18-00, 04:17 PM

Let me know what kinda $$$ your looking for your RT55i's. What color cabinet? Not that it makes that much of a difference

Old 09-25-00, 10:44 PM
Cool New Member

send me an email and I'll give you the address of a guy who has an HT install business. He has great prices and ships next day. I bought several Polks from him and am very satisfied dealing with him. When I go for a new sub, he will be the guy I go to. Drop me a line SteveF my address is [email protected]
Old 09-26-00, 05:37 PM
Banned

SInce i work for Circuit City i am a tad biasis towards POLK but i LOVE MY SETUP:
Polk RT5000I SYSTEM
VELODYNE CT150
ONKYO TXDS777 (SOON TO BE 989 WHEN IT ARRIVES!!!!)
SON DVPS7700.....
ONCE I GET THE 989 I WILL BE PURCHASING AN ADDTIONAL PAIR OF FX500'S...

POLK ROCKS..ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A GOOD RECEIVER TO DRIVE THEM.. ANYBODY HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT POLK...FELL FREE TO CONTACT ME..
COACH
Old 09-26-00, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kurgen, Your speaker purchase will be a pretty big chunk of change, so I would suggest regardless of reviews good or bad that you go take a listen yourself because it is your ears that will have to live with the speakers on a daily basis. If you have yet to hear them yet, demo the Polks at your local CC.

J

------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!
Old 09-26-00, 06:37 PM

I had the local CC saleman (a young go-getter)jumping thru hoops last weekend. I auditioned several models and I'm pleased with the Polk's performance. Thanks for everyone's input.
Here's what I'm buying.
Polk RT55i's
Polk f/x500i's
Polk center still TBD. probably c175

I'm not the biggest fan of CC (still bitter about Divx) but this salesman was impressive. If I was ready to buy, I would have bought from him. Too bad Alex from Paramus, NJ.

Now all I need is a good price.