Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Agghh...ok walk me thru it (lossless w/PS3 & Onkyo)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts

OK, I didn't think I would do it, but did. On a whim I bought the Onkyo SR508. Mainly cause the price grabbed my attention (refurb about $160 shipped).

But I can't seem to get lossless fired up thru my PS3 (or HD DVD player).

Can someone walk me thru the setting for both??

The sound is solid with regular ol' lossy. Overall I prefer the sound of the HK it replaced. The HK is warmer and seems to have more depth. But Onkyo does have some crisp detail and I was afraid the Onkyo would be harsh and it is not.

Yea, I did a search and nothing I tried would seem to indicate lossless was going on. So thought I'd ask...
Old 06-01-11, 12:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Agghh...ok walk me thru it (lossless w/PS3 & Onkyo)

PS3 needs to be set to bitstream. Not sure how the Onkyo settings work, but when I set my PS3 to bitstream, my Denon automatically set it to the right decode. I assume you are using HDMI to hookup? According to page 21 of the manual, the receiver display should display the audio output.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...73796ecb3d664e
Old 06-01-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will assume you are using HDMI as that is the only way to bitstream lossless.

Which version of the PS3 do you have? Only the newer thin models can bitstream the lossless codecs. The older "phat" version will decode lossless into PCM and send it that way (just as good, but the light on your Onkyo won't light up).

Which HD-DVD player do you have? It's been too long to remember the specifics, but I seem to recall that not all players would bitstream the lossless codecs (or was it decode?). I know the A-35 and X2 will, but I'm not sure about the others.
Old 06-01-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Which version of the PS3 do you have? Only the newer thin models can bitstream the lossless codecs. The older "phat" version will decode lossless into PCM and send it that way (just as good, but the light on your Onkyo won't light up).
That might be the issue. I have an original PS3. Yes the model people waited in line for.

Do I still set the PS3 to bitstream? Do you have any idea what the Onkyo will/should display?

Yea, using HDMI...
Old 06-01-11, 09:15 PM

The older ps3 needs to be set to output LPCM or PCM, whichever the wording is. The Onkyo will show either "Multi-Channel" or PCM. I don't remember which. Even though it doesn't show Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master in the receiver's display, it should be playing the HD audio track. If you have the ps3 remote, there's a button to push that'll show which track is playing. Maybe someone more familiar with the older ps3 will jump in.
Old 06-01-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emoxley
The older ps3 needs to be set to output LPCM or PCM, whichever the wording is. The Onkyo will show either "Multi-Channel" or PCM. I don't remember which. Even though it doesn't show Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master in the receiver's display, it should be playing the HD audio track. If you have the ps3 remote, there's a button to push that'll show which track is playing. Maybe someone more familiar with the older ps3 will jump in.
Pretty sure that's right. (fat 20G PS3 + Onkyo SR606)
Old 06-01-11, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Do I still set the PS3 to bitstream? Do you have any idea what the Onkyo will/should display?
If you have the ps3 remote, there's a button to push that'll show which track is playing. Maybe someone more familiar with the older ps3 will jump in.
This is what you should be looking for on your HDTV after using the PS3 remote to bring up the menu. It will NOT display this on your AVR's front panel, that should read PCM if you've disabled bitstreaming.

Old 06-02-11, 12:55 PM
Banned

I have a Harmony One with PS3 adapter and I usually hit the Info button and it will tell me what audio track I am using.
Old 06-03-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice guys....I'll try today....and extra credit for pointing out the Harmony. I have the 880 and use the adapter so will see if it works the same.

Edit: Worked! I still had set to bitstream. And didn't realize the display on the Onkyo wouldn't show it, but the video menu would.

Opinions are where lossless really plays off? Music or video? I don't anticipate hearing a "night and day difference". I've heard lossless on a high end system...mine is not high end.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-03-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Music. I really can't notice the difference for movies. And the story is half the show, video a quarter, and so only a quarter my attention is on sound anyway. (maybe story is 90% and the others are 5, heck, maybe story is 99 and the others are .5) And even action shows are mostly talk, which is one speaker. Unlike audio, where you are doing nothing but listening. I've argued with people over this for years. I just don't believe most of them actually notice anything, not unlike all those people using yellow video cables from their HD cable box to HDTV. Legacy Dolby/DTS are quite capable for the limited usage movies actually bring us.

Does your PS3 play any high-rez audio discs besides BD? Because CD is lossless, but...who cares? DVD-A and SACD may not have been popular, but they are still the formats most of the good lossless audio discs are. BD can be just as good, but it's like nobody knows that. Most BD audio discs seem to be concerts, and often just stereo. Not even sure if they are lossless.
Old 06-04-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, I played around with the Dave Matthews BD. Tough call. I could hear a difference, but was that difference truly better? I enjoyed both. I swear I could hear a slightly more crispness, in Tim Reynolds guitar. But then could be in my head.

Anyway...I'm pleased regardless. I need to calibrate it better, but was able to remove the HDMI switcher. And the on screen display is really nice (my old HK would only do the on screen on composite).

My old HK was a little more warm and a little more depth. The Onkyo does seem to have more power and crispness to it (but happily, not harsh). For the price, I'm very pleased.
Old 06-05-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the Onkyo have multi-analog-out? You could still use the HK amp.