Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Service Charges (?!?)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked my online statement for my debit card and noticed that Amazon has charged me a $1.00 Service Charge on both of my orders from them this month. This is the first time it has happened and I will be contacting them now, but does anyone know what this is?
Old 05-24-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Amazon Service Charges (?!?)

Never happened to me. Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure that it's not a fee that's being charged by your bank?
Old 05-24-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Never happened to me. Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure that it's not a fee that's being charged by your bank?
I don't think so, but if it is, I am going to have to find out why. But, as it stands Amazon is going to call my bank tomorrow during business hours and get back to me. The CSR I spoke with thought it should've been a hold that would've dropped off.

I order a ton from Amazon w/this card and I have never had a service charge before, so either Amazon made a mistake, had a policy change, or my bank had a policy change regarding purchases from Amazon. Bad enough I get charged NYS tax on my orders from Amazon, if my bank now charges me a $1 service charge on top of it...I will be done w/Amazon until I get a new card.
Old 05-24-11, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought a lot of stuff from amazon lately, and in the last 10 years, and have never heard of this.
Old 05-25-11, 12:02 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the last 2 months I've gotten that charge on the temporary authorization, but it has always dropped off. I got mine I think from donating money on Kickstarter and when I pre-ordered a bunch of stuff. Even though I order a TON of stuff on Amazon, I think they just use it to make sure the card is still open. Lucky for you is Amazon is the most customer friendly company out there, so I'm sure this issue will be fixed.
Old 05-25-11, 01:25 AM

Amazon has been doing this with me for a few years. It always falls off though.
Old 05-25-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

yeah, it's probably not a charge. it's probably a hold on $1.00 to ensure the card is active and in good standing.
Old 05-26-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Like others have said, it's probably a temp charge.
Old 05-26-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It definitely is not a hold, my online statement indicates holds as such, I've gotten them before from Amazon as well. These are $1.00 "service charges" charged directly after the charge for my actual order.

I just got off the phone w/my bank and they confirmed that they are in fact charges and they did in fact come from Amazon. So, I called Amazon back and of course, they'll pass along the info and I'll get an email w/in 24 hours.

It isn't so much the $2, but if there is some new policy concerning debit cards, I'd like to have had some notice or be made aware of it now at least before I keep buying.