DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wega 27"

Old 09-25-00, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,
I'm considering getting either the 27" FS or FV models. Mostly I'm interested in component video in and the 16:9 enhance, but I have some questions.

Do the FS (The $599 models) have Component in or only the FV (The $799, with sidespeakers, I think. Prices may be off)?

How does the 16:9 enhance work? It doesn't look stretched or anything? I'm not at all familiar with how this would work.

What features are there that make the FV worth more than the FS?

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 09-25-00, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/

This will probably answer the component question, but I can't help with the 16:9 question.
Old 09-25-00, 08:06 AM

Now I have a new question:

What are the differences between the FS12, FS16 and FV16? All three have component video inputs and 16:9 Enhanced mode, according to the Sony page. The FV16 has a "3-D Digital Comb Filter" how much better is that than a 3-line one? Is it the same thing?

I'm going to make this purchase in the next month or two and I'm having a difficult time choosing

-Jeff
Old 09-25-00, 12:20 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the FS 12 and it has component inputs. The 16x9 mode works by squeezing the picture so it's not streched. You set you dvd player to output to a 16x9 tv, it looks stretched until you switch to 16x9 enhanced mode. The jump in picture quality is amazing, over having your dvd player convert anamorphic transfers. A 3D line filter is better, but not worth the extra money, and the other difference in the FS16, and FV16 is Picture-in-Picture I believe. They probably have extra inputs too, but I'm not sure. I would just go with the FS12 unless these extra features are worth the money to you. I know I'm totally happy with mine.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's