Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony DVPS-560D.Good? Cheap?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony DVPS-560D.Good? Cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-00, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Forum!
I am looking for a DVD player with decoder and digital out (to use for recording minidiscs).
I know the Sony's have digital out and the low end Toshibas (1200-2200) do not. I only want to spend $250-ish on it. I know Sony has the 360 of this line in the $250 range, but no built in decoder.
SOO...
I found the 560 online at "Abe's of Maine"(in NYC!?) in the $250 range.
Good Vendor? Good price? (I found it thru My Simon).
Any great deals plus coupons you know of to get the price below this? Any help would be appreciated...

------------------
Tag...You're it!
Old 09-21-00, 05:40 AM

Actually, the Toshiba SD2200 and SD1200 both have digital audio outputs, but the SD1200 doesn't have optical digital audio ouput. The SD2200, however, has both the coaxial and optical digital audio output. Furthermore, it can be gotten for pretty cheap, and it includes a decoder.
Old 09-21-00, 04:23 PM

The sony 560d is awesome. I chose it over the toshiba 1200 because of the decoder and teh fact that I have NEVER read about any sony brand having problems with any discs. I bought it on ebyweb(I found it through my simon) for $260. What was cool was that I ordered it on a Sunday and they told me it'd take 3 to 4 days, but I got it on Wenesday.
Old 09-23-00, 12:01 AM

well this is pretty ironic, but i found the exact same dvd player at the exact same site and it came in the mail no less than a week ago and i gotta tell you....best deal i ever got....it was listed as 299.99 at all the local electronic stores, and i got it shipped here fast and quick for a total of 279.99.....go for it dude
Old 09-23-00, 01:48 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mikerena:
The sony 560d is awesome. [...] I have NEVER read about any sony brand having problems with any discs.<HR>

You don't appear to have read very deep. The Sony brands are all notorious for lip-synching problems on certain discs. I have the DVP-S500 and experience this firsthand.

Apparently this problem is fixed with current models/firmware upgrades but it was notorious for years with Sony models.

More specifically, with regard to the DVP-S560 and other current models, the 16:9 downconversion (i.e., anamorphic disc played on a 4:3 set) is rather soft by comparison to other models, such as Pioneer DV-333 in the same pricerange (and Pioneer plays CD-R's).

Go to www.audioreview.com to find other people's opinions on any home theater product you can think of.
Old 09-23-00, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by catware:
You don't appear to have read very deep. The Sony brands are all notorious for lip-synching problems on certain discs. I have the DVP-S500 and experience this firsthand.

Apparently this problem is fixed with current models/firmware upgrades but it was notorious for years with Sony models.

More specifically, with regard to the DVP-S560 and other current models, the 16:9 downconversion (i.e., anamorphic disc played on a 4:3 set) is rather soft by comparison to other models, such as Pioneer DV-333 in the same pricerange (and Pioneer plays CD-R's).

Go to www.audioreview.com to find other people's opinions on any home theater product you can think of.
<HR>

I think you are exagerating the problems with the Sony players. They have had virtually no software incompatibility issues unlike other brands like Toshiba, Samsung, RCA etc., or hardware issues except for the lip synching, which was only present in one generation of the players. The current Sony's are fine. Unless you want to play CD-R's there is no reason not to go with a Sony DVD player. I would say that the Sony and Pioneer players are overall the best.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-23-00, 06:41 PM

I got the 560 about 6 months ago to replace a crappy JVC 501 that died. And the sound and picture where so much better that it was almost good the JVC died. (ALMOST!!!!) But I say get it. Get now and enjoy.
Old 09-23-00, 08:52 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:

I think you are exagerating the problems with the Sony players.
<HR>

The lipsynching problem was only experienced on a small number of discs--I had a problem with "Ferris Bueller" but not on any of the other ~150 discs I've played. But then again, the software problems with other manufacturers only affected a small number of discs too--but like the lip synching problem does/did exist.

Agreed that the current models have the problem fixed, and firmware upgrades for the older models are available to fix the lip-synch.

However, from customer reviews on www.audioreview.com all models up until this model year experience the problem, on discs such as 'Blade,' 'Mission Impossible,' etc. Point is, that Sony models have in the past experienced problems, though they may be fixed now.
Old 09-23-00, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually they are all from the same generation. The reason you think they are from several generations is because some the models listed are the coressponding European and Asian models from the same year with different model numbers. Obviously if they are from the same year they probably used the same circuitry. As I said before overall the Sony and the Pioneer players have been and are the least problematic.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-24-00, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks all!
Now, one last call...
Any great coupon, website, pricematch deals so I can get my hands on this sweet player for less than $279???
Thansk to all!
Old 09-24-00, 02:20 AM

http://store.yahoo.com/ebyweb/sonydvps550.html
Old 09-24-00, 06:24 AM

Here is the price listing for the Sony 560 from PriceScan. The lowest price listed is $248, but I don't believe shipping is factored in yet. Also, try searching Shopper.com for sony dvp-s560d. Lowest price listed is $234.98, which is without shipping. You may want to check out some of the vendors to see which offer the best deal.

[This message has been edited by iveal (edited September 24, 2000).]