DVD Talk
A LOT of my HD-DVDs are defective! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A LOT of my HD-DVDs are defective!

Alan Smithee
05-04-11, 05:33 AM
Let me start by saying I'm a nut who collects failed formats. I have every CED videodisc title released, a large collection of 8-track tapes, and when HD-DVD lost the format war I started grabbing all the cheap discs I could find. I had 2 players and a large collection even before I had an HDTV to watch them on (finally got one last year.) I currently have FOUR players (though one just got bricked in an attempt to upgrade the firmware to see if it would handle these bad discs better, and my HD-A1 is putting out 'sparklies' on the picture through its HDMI output) and almost every HD-DVD title released in the US, including every one from Universal and almost all the major ones from the major studios (all the ones I have were bought still-sealed and stored and handled properly). Suffice it to say, it's going to take me a couple decades to watch them all. I've watched maybe 25 of them so far, with no problems til recently.

I recently started watching the Harry Potter movies in order since I got the latest one on Blu-Ray- the first 5 were on HD-DVD and I have both the individual releases and the box set. I started watching the individual disc of the first movie, and it stuttered and froze up an hour into it. I checked the disc on a total of FOUR different players, and the problem was definitely with the disc. So I watch the first movie from the box set instead, and it's fine, but then the second movie from the box set freezes up! I switch to my individual disc of the same movie, and it's ALSO defective, freezing up in a different part!

In the end, I went through THREE defective copies of "Chamber of Secrets" before getting one that plays all the way through. Just watched the 3rd movie and no problems, but I've spot-checked a few other HD-DVDs and it appears there were a LOT of defects over at Warner Manufacturing (which has since been sold off and become Cinram.) I checked a few discs chapter-skipping through them, since the bad discs I'd run into so far would not let you skip past the chapter where the defect was- the time counter keeps counting, but it holds a still frame from the last chapter you were on. So far I've found FOUR additional titles that are defective (Superman, Training Day, The Fugitive, and Swordfish- I'd heard of bad copies of Superman already but the other 3 were just pulled randomly.)

I guess I'm going to have to check all my HD-DVDs now so any more bad ones can still be replaced easily, rather than wait til I have time to watch them all and then discover they're defective. I've heard Warner has been replacing defective HD-DVDs with Blu-Ray copies, so I'm going to complain to them tomorrow but still replace the HD-DVDs since I'm an obsessive collector. I have to say this is VERY pathetic that such a large number of discs turned out defective. I have yet to run into a defective Blu-Ray disc, and I've had less than five defective standard DVDs out of the several hundred I've bought (again, all brand-new, never used.)

Universal got a decent amount of bad press for their defective DVDs (I'm wary of their HD-DVDs too as most of those were also made by Technicolor in Mexico, but so far I've been lucky with those) but I haven't heard much about Warner's HD-DVDs. I'm wondering how others have fared with these, and if maybe this was why Warner decided to drop the format in the end? I'm pretty angry right now about all these bad discs, but I'd be extremely furious if I'd bought them at full price and just now got around to watching them!

Pizza
05-04-11, 06:51 AM
I haven't had a single problem. Recently had the father-in-law staying over and we watched a bunch.

Josh Z
05-04-11, 12:57 PM
Even though you tested these discs on multiple players, I honestly think this is more likely a hardware problem than a disc problem. Toshiba's players were extremely buggy, which was a huge downfall of the format.

JimRochester
05-04-11, 03:25 PM
I have that same problem with some of my Blu-rays, the picture will freeze but the timer keeps going. I did have to replace one of my A35's which was defective but for the most part my HD DVD's have been problem free

Alan Smithee
05-04-11, 04:00 PM
Even though you tested these discs on multiple players, I honestly think this is more likely a hardware problem than a disc problem. Toshiba's players were extremely buggy, which was a huge downfall of the format.

How do I fix it then? My main player is an A30 with firmware 4.0, modified to think it's an A35 (won't bitstream the HD audio formats, but has most of its benefits other than that, plus it's region-free.) I also have an A3 with 4.0 firmware, and just upgraded my A1 (it's the RCA player but inside it's the same) to firmware 4.0- that still has trouble with the bad discs I've run into, but it's also having some HDMI connectivity problems I've never seen on any other device. I had an A2 also, but that just got bricked when I tried upgrading its firmware to 4.0! I have an A20 on the way from an Ebay seller to replace that one, so I can at least use the dead player's drive with that one should it break. I've got a BH200 too (only because I got it very cheap) but that one's glitchier than the Toshibas and I hate how it stretches 4x3 content. Anyways, none of these would play the discs in question without locking up.

Interestingly, I have one regular DVD that had problems on my older players, and has the same problem on my Sony Blu-Ray player but the A30 plays that disc with no issues.

If I were just an 'average consumer' and not collecting the format itself, I would've given up on HD-DVD by now. When it died it was a great way to get hi-def movies cheap, but with so many of them failing it hardly seems worth it.

Alan Smithee
05-04-11, 07:03 PM
Found one more- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Damn thing won't even load in any player. Running a few more right now while I do homework.

GreenMonkey
05-04-11, 09:49 PM
I haven't had any trouble with any of my HD-DVDs. I just watched Flags of our Fathers about two months ago and Eternal Sunshine a bit before that.

I've got an HD-XA2 though. It's still my main DVD player (the wife has a tendency to use the PS3 instead because it's faster, though). It's stock except I did the region-free modification to it. I got it refurbed for cheap some years ago...

Haha...I googled it and found the original FW deal thread I posted in...classic! http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/805340/

g
05-05-11, 12:24 AM
Did you get the newest firmware for the Bh200 from march 2010. I was having good luck playing most on that.

matome
05-05-11, 09:10 AM
Picked up two new Toshiba A3's when the format went under and they both don't work already. One stopped recognizing HD-DVD's a long time ago and when I went to watch Notting Hill the other day the second one no longer recognizes the remote control signals. I replaced most of my discs with the BD counterpart now, but it's still a bit annoying especially since I didn't use them that often. Won't bother trying to pick up used players.

islandclaws
05-05-11, 02:06 PM
I haven't watched one of my HD DVDs in a while, but I haven't had any issues aside from those associated with some of the combo titles.

davidh777
05-05-11, 02:09 PM
My 360 add-on is still working

leem6453
05-05-11, 02:15 PM
I bought an HDA2 back in '07 and it has never failed me. I only have around 25 HDDVDs though. One problem I have noticed is that the HDMI connection isn't consistant anymore. I have to use component.

orangerunner
05-05-11, 11:31 PM
I have a Toshiba A2 machine with the last 4.0 firmware on it I had a couple of problems with King Kong freezing on me when it was brand new out of the shrink wrap. I wiped it clean and it played fine but froze in a different spot.

The combo discs are sometimes iffy. A Land of the Dead disc has a stange wave running through the surface of the disc that affected the playback. I've seen this on regular DVDs but they never had a problem.

I know scratches are very critical to these discs much more than scratches to DVD. The Blu-ray anti-scratch coating seems to work pretty well as I haven't had a problem yet.

I know when plants were pressing Blu-ray discs they would average 35-40% failure rate when they went through quality control. I don't know if it's still that high.

Since I paid so little for my HD DVD player and discs, I can't really complaint.

Alan Smithee
05-06-11, 02:38 AM
It's hard to tell by appearance how a disc is going to play- when I got The Sopranos on HD-DVD I watched the first disc right away because it had that clouded look to it, but it plays perfectly.

Checked 5 more Warner discs today, no defects found (knock on wood). I have new-old-stock replacements for the bad ones coming from Amazon which I'll watch as soon as they get here, and will contact Warner to see if they can give me Blu-Rays for exchange of the defective discs (because when you're an obsessive collector, you can never have the same movie in too many different formats!)

Alan Smithee
05-08-11, 03:33 AM
Spent almost all day today checking discs (again, on 2 machines) Latest casualties are:

Blood Diamond (I had TWO brand-new copies and BOTH freeze up at the beginning of the movie!)
The Good Shepherd- HD side won't play at all- first problem I've had with a Universal combo disc and only non-Warner title that's given me problems
Blade Runner disc 1 (Final Cut)
Alexander Revisited (BOTH discs! They both start glitching about 25 minutes in then eventually freeze!)
Viva Las Vegas- won't load at all
Robin Hood
Purple Rain
The Wild Bunch (last 3 glitch about an hour into the movie then freeze)

Been playing phone tag with someone at Warner- will be home Monday so hopefully will be able to reach them then. Dead format or not, this is pretty disgraceful.

Alan Smithee
05-09-11, 07:29 PM
Got another copy of Willy Wonka today (still sealed) and it glitches and freezes about 14 minutes in. I called Warner and they had me send an email of all the defective discs I have, hopefully they'll at least replace them with Blu-Rays.

Kory
05-09-11, 08:13 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the HD-DVD slipcover for "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" in at least very good condition that they'd be willing to sell me? Sorry to go off-topic, but this was the newest HD-DVD-related thread I could find.

Alan Smithee
05-09-11, 08:37 PM
I got that sealed with no slipcover from an Amazon seller- since the damn slipcover has no shrinkwrap I don't know if my copy ever had one or not. I REALLY hate that practice- only that and American Gangster were released that way (my American Gangster has the slipcover, since I figured it'd be rare I bought that in a store and carefully took the price tag off- normally I wouldn't have bought it like that.)

AmityBoatTours
05-09-11, 09:01 PM

there would be many who would disagree with you on that( myself included).
Never once had any issue with any of my Toshiba Players and I had several.

AmityBoatTours
05-09-11, 09:04 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the HD-DVD slipcover for "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" in at least very good condition that they'd be willing to sell me? Sorry to go off-topic, but this was the newest HD-DVD-related thread I could find.

I have one still, even when i sold off or traded all my HD DVDs i kept the slipcovers as I like getting them signed at work when possible.
I never got this one signed and its still in mint condition, You could simply have it, I dont need to sell it.

Gizmo
05-09-11, 09:07 PM
I got that sealed with no slipcover from an Amazon seller- since the damn slipcover has no shrinkwrap I don't know if my copy ever had one or not. I REALLY hate that practice- only that and American Gangster were released that way (my American Gangster has the slipcover, since I figured it'd be rare I bought that in a store and carefully took the price tag off- normally I wouldn't have bought it like that.)

40 Year Old and American Gangster slips are very rare. 40 YO only had maybe 1-1,500 slips made, and some stores just tossed them because they wouldn't fit in security cases.

American Gangster is even rare since it was released a few days a(weeks?) after HD DVD was dead so not every store carried the title and/or just didn't bother putting them out.

I, of course, have both :)

Gizmo
05-09-11, 09:08 PM
All my HD DVDs have played fine, but honestly, it's been a while since I've touched a Warner one. Maybe I'll pop a few in the BH200 later this week and give them a check.

Kory
05-09-11, 09:34 PM
I have one still, even when i sold off or traded all my HD DVDs i kept the slipcovers as I like getting them signed at work when possible.
I never got this one signed and its still in mint condition, You could simply have it, I dont need to sell it.

Wow, thanks man. I just sent you a PM.

Alan Smithee
05-10-11, 12:56 AM
and some stores just tossed them

Yet ANOTHER reason why I hate this packaging trend- EVERYTHING should be shrinkwrapped so none of it can be thrown out or have price tags and crap stuck on them! (As I've said in other threads, I don't buy anything used because I want my stuff to be in the best possible condition, so why would I pay full price for something with a price tag stuck on it?) The "40 Year Old Virgin" slipcover was really cool too.

A defective Warner disc may have killed my BH200 BTW- a friend got a copy of "The Cowboys" which would not play on his Toshiba A3, so he just gave it to me. It wouldn't play on my Toshibas either, but the LG could play the FBI warning and then got stuck. After that, it now gets stuck after the opening clip on EVERY HD-DVD I've tried on it. Not too bummed about that though as it stretches standard-def 4x3 content and is thus useless to me- it still plays Blu-Rays (which don't get stretched) so I'll use it if I ever get an out-of-region disc and haven't found a better all-region Blu player by then.

Gizmo
05-10-11, 09:26 AM
Yet ANOTHER reason why I hate this packaging trend- EVERYTHING should be shrinkwrapped so none of it can be thrown out or have price tags and crap stuck on them! (As I've said in other threads, I don't buy anything used because I want my stuff to be in the best possible condition, so why would I pay full price for something with a price tag stuck on it?) The "40 Year Old Virgin" slipcover was really cool too.

A defective Warner disc may have killed my BH200 BTW- a friend got a copy of "The Cowboys" which would not play on his Toshiba A3, so he just gave it to me. It wouldn't play on my Toshibas either, but the LG could play the FBI warning and then got stuck. After that, it now gets stuck after the opening clip on EVERY HD-DVD I've tried on it. Not too bummed about that though as it stretches standard-def 4x3 content and is thus useless to me- it still plays Blu-Rays (which don't get stretched) so I'll use it if I ever get an out-of-region disc and haven't found a better all-region Blu player by then.

Slip Covers are there to grab the attention of a consumer. Shrinkwrapping them would take away the very reason they were created.

Alan Smithee
05-11-11, 01:58 AM
Slip Covers are there to grab the attention of a consumer. Shrinkwrapping them would take away the very reason they were created.

But it would also take away the ability for stores to stick price tags on them or toss them out. It's cost studios a lot of impulse buys from me- my rule is if it's packaged that way and the store sticks a price tag on it, I don't buy it. Simple as that. I regard that packaging trend as the WORST in the history of DVD- you know how much some people hated the snapper cases, often refusing to buy some excellent discs just because they came in those types of cases? I didn't dislike those, but I hate titles packaged in a bare slipcover MORE than the biggest hater of snapper cases!

Alan Smithee
05-11-11, 02:33 AM
BTW I got an email back from Warner saying they will only exchange the discs that I bought at an "Authorized retailer", meaning Amazon Marketplace and Ebay sellers don't count, even if the discs were still sealed (guess Warner didn't get any money from them, so they don't care about them being defective.) The ones I DID buy from an authorized retailer, I have to produce the receipt- I save a lot more crap than the average consumer, but I don't have receipts from that long ago. I honestly didn't expect this many discs to be defective- maybe one or two at the most, but not FIFTEEN!

I hope everyone involved with HD-DVD took a bath in the end. It was stupid to have two incompatible formats out since it was inevitable that one of them would not make it (if Blu-Ray had failed, I would be collecting that format now instead.) Warner had a big part in promoting HD-DVD in the beginning, putting out many of the first titles and giving "The Matrix" an exclusive on it for a while, but then played a big part in HD-DVD's demise by dropping support for it. Now it turns out a large number of the discs they put out won't even PLAY and they're making it hard for anyone to get compensation for that. Compare that with Universal who would take back almost any laserdisc of theirs that went bad within ten years or so.

I guess I'll be saving my receipts from any Blu-Rays I buy in the future, and I'll think twice about buying any more from Warner.

Josh-da-man
05-11-11, 02:37 AM
Yet ANOTHER reason why I hate this packaging trend- EVERYTHING should be shrinkwrapped so none of it can be thrown out or have price tags and crap stuck on them!

You remember how Target did the exclusive edition of "Black Swan" that contained a third disc (DVD version of the film) and different cover art?

One Super Target I go to had all of their copies of the exclusive Black Swan in hard plastic security cases without the slipcover. Apparently whoever stuck the blu-rays in the cases tossed out the covers. Really unbelievable when you consider it's a limited edition store exclusive.

Alan Smithee
05-11-11, 03:15 AM
My favorite was that Best Buy exclusive lenticular slipcover for Rob Zombie's "Halloween", which they charged a few bucks EXTRA for, which came un-shrinkwrapped and Best Buy stores stuck their price tags right on it. (Getting off topic here, but still a big thing I hate!)

And I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for bad-mouthing Warner previously, but regardless of this format no longer being supported, there's NO excuse for this many discs to become unplayable in such a short amount of time. You would think they would be embarrassed at this and do SOMETHING to remedy the problem- even replacing them with VHS tapes of the same titles would be better than NOTHING!

(I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who are just pissed off that they can no longer get new movies on HD-DVD after buying into it. I held off on both formats until one of them failed, or if a good dual-format player had come out.)

Gizmo
05-11-11, 09:19 AM
BTW I got an email back from Warner saying they will only exchange the discs that I bought at an "Authorized retailer", meaning Amazon Marketplace and Ebay sellers don't count, even if the discs were still sealed (guess Warner didn't get any money from them, so they don't care about them being defective.) The ones I DID buy from an authorized retailer, I have to produce the receipt- I save a lot more crap than the average consumer, but I don't have receipts from that long ago. I honestly didn't expect this many discs to be defective- maybe one or two at the most, but not FIFTEEN!

I hope everyone involved with HD-DVD took a bath in the end. It was stupid to have two incompatible formats out since it was inevitable that one of them would not make it (if Blu-Ray had failed, I would be collecting that format now instead.) Warner had a big part in promoting HD-DVD in the beginning, putting out many of the first titles and giving "The Matrix" an exclusive on it for a while, but then played a big part in HD-DVD's demise by dropping support for it. Now it turns out a large number of the discs they put out won't even PLAY and they're making it hard for anyone to get compensation for that. Compare that with Universal who would take back almost any laserdisc of theirs that went bad within ten years or so.

I guess I'll be saving my receipts from any Blu-Rays I buy in the future, and I'll think twice about buying any more from Warner.

You could probably re-buy all those on HD DVD for like $20. Or just trade them in for $5 and get the Blu-ray version (if Warner is still doing that deal).

Josh Z
05-11-11, 02:12 PM
there would be many who would disagree with you on that( myself included).
Never once had any issue with any of my Toshiba Players and I had several.

When I reported numerous playback problems with Combo discs, Toshiba themselves sent me a cherry-picked HD-XA2 that had been manufactured to their tightest tolerances and run through a full battery of laser alignment tests at the factory. It played some of the discs that had previously given me problems, but glitched on other discs that had played fine in my previous XA2. In fact, it can't get all the way through Serenity, which is NOT a Combo disc, was the very first HD DVD ever released, and had played totally without issue in the original HD-A1.

JimRochester
05-11-11, 03:30 PM
My first A-35 was replaced under warranty because of playback problems but the replacement has been fine. (knock on wood)

I also have an A-3 that hasn't given me any problems. I have one disc i picked up used on half.com that pixellates a little at the end but the disc was so cheap it wasn't worth returning. The rest of them all played fine the last time they were in. The 78 titles are linked in my sig and are many of the same you guys are having trouble with

Alan Smithee
05-12-11, 05:20 AM
You could probably re-buy all those on HD DVD for like $20. Or just trade them in for $5 and get the Blu-ray version (if Warner is still doing that deal).

Being an obsessive collector I have been buying replacement copies- some are still on the way, but today I got sealed replacements of Viva Las Vegas, The Fugitive and Superman and ALL 3 of those were STILL defective- as with the first copy, Viva Las Vegas wouldn't load at all on any player, and the other 2 froze up during playback. I did get a good copy of Swordfish, and a new copy of Training Day had a slight glitch during playback where part of the picture broke up for a second, but since it didn't skip any footage or freeze I'll let that one slide. Fortunately I can return the bad copies to Amazon for a refund (they won't automatically replace them) but I'll wait til the other in-transit discs get here to see how they are first so I can make one return shipment if any of them are bad as well. Anyone other than me collecting these would have given up by now! If both formats were still in production I'd certainly be swearing off HD-DVD!

I'll probably get $5 Blu-Ray copies from Warner (just cause I don't have enough of the earlier Blu-Ray titles) by sending the cover sheets in, but still think they ought to replace them for free or at least do SOMETHING to make up for it given that they are defective and they did own the pressing plant that made them. I'd be embarrassed if my company's name were on that much defective product, never mind the whole format war fiasco. Universal replaced 2 bad standard DVDs (Blues Brothers and Casino) a few months after I'd bought them with no receipt, that made them look much better in comparison.

JimRochester
05-12-11, 03:07 PM
I don't know why you're having so many problems. I have a copy of Viva Las vegas I bought when Blockbuster was blowing them out. When it showed up I almost returned it. Even though it was cheap it looked like the coaster/frisbee combo platter. "Hey honey the kids are crying, give them one of those shiny discs to chew on so they'll stop." It took some cleaning but even that plays fine.

Pizza
05-12-11, 03:51 PM
I just watched my copy of Viva Las Vegas the other day. No problems whatsoever. I'm beginning to think you're having some kind of hardware issue. I have two of the super cheap HD Toshiba players and everything, so far, has played fine.

kahuna
05-12-11, 08:53 PM
I am using a A2 which was purchased when it was first released. I upgraded it to 4.0. So far no problems with it. I believe the 4 year warranty I purchased for it expired in Nov 2010. I have a extra A2, A20, A30, all purchased off of local craigslists in the closet.

I have over 160 hd-dvds in my collection. Out of those 64 are still sealed. I did have problems with a couple hd-dvds from the Ultimate Matrix collection and the Oceans Collection when I first purchased them. After reading this thread I started to play some of the hd-dvds that Alan Smithee was having problems with and so far those play with no problems.

Spottedfeather
05-12-11, 11:24 PM
But it would also take away the ability for stores to stick price tags on them or toss them out. It's cost studios a lot of impulse buys from me- my rule is if it's packaged that way and the store sticks a price tag on it, I don't buy it. Simple as that. I regard that packaging trend as the WORST in the history of DVD- you know how much some people hated the snapper cases, often refusing to buy some excellent discs just because they came in those types of cases? I didn't dislike those, but I hate titles packaged in a bare slipcover MORE than the biggest hater of snapper cases!

I hate when they put stickers right on the cover, too. But it all really depends on what adhesive they use. Some stickers come right off without any trouble. Others you couldn't get off even with a jackhammer.

Alan Smithee
05-13-11, 05:35 PM
I'd suspect the problem was with my player too, but these discs are having the same problems on FOUR different ones, plus I brought a few to a friend's house with the same results.

The worst title so far seems to be Blood Diamond, since I've gone through 3 copies of that- all of them play the FBI warning, Warner Home Video intro and rating card, but freeze up right when the movie starts. I've read comments on AVS Forum about that title 'rotting'- some have copies that played fine when they got it but it's now unreadable.

Alan Smithee
05-14-11, 10:20 PM
Now this REALLY hurts- Gods and Generals displays an error message (on all players) after the Warner Home Video opening. I already paid a bit of a premium for that, and now I can't get a new copy for less than $30! Will have to wait and see if it goes a little lower, as I don't think anyone will be able to get that much for it.

If the first HD-DVDs I watched had been like this, I wouldn't have collected the rest of them. I wouldn't advise anyone else to get into these unless they just want some of the Universal or Paramount titles.

kahuna
05-14-11, 11:20 PM
I'd suspect the problem was with my player too, but these discs are having the same problems on FOUR different ones, plus I brought a few to a friend's house with the same results.

The worst title so far seems to be Blood Diamond, since I've gone through 3 copies of that- all of them play the FBI warning, Warner Home Video intro and rating card, but freeze up right when the movie starts. I've read comments on AVS Forum about that title 'rotting'- some have copies that played fine when they got it but it's now unreadable.

Ok went back and checked my hd-dvd of Blood Diamond. I watched this movie twice now without any problems. But yep this choked about where you said it did. It came up with a message saying "Cannot Play Disc error code:408bc505. I just opened a new sealed Viva Las Vegas hd-dvd and will see what happens with that one.

Brand New Viva Las Vegas - freeze at the 25 & 30 min mark. At the 35 min mark it stops with the same error code that Blood Diamond did.

Same crap after 20 minutes into a brand new Willy Wonka hd-dvd, this sucks.

Spiderbite
05-15-11, 08:00 AM
My copy of The Fountain died about a year ago and a couple of other titles quit playing. I saw the writing on the wall and got rid of every HD-DVD title I owned, even some for 75 cents on Half.com.

It sucked but it wasn't the first time I got rid of a format for pennies on the dollar.

Alan Smithee
05-15-11, 09:14 AM
Well, is it officially safe to say that Warner has a problem here? I think they ought to do SOMETHING about each bad disc out there, and not for $5 plus shipping (It'd cost me about $80 with the Red2Blu thing to replace all the defective discs I have that way.) I'm thinking of just sending them all to Warner anyways with a letter saying "Do what your conscience tells you."

Anyways, you can get to a live person at Warner at: (818)977-6950. Maybe if enough other people complain they'll be a little nicer about taking these back. Most laserdiscs from any studio that rotted usually got replaced hassle-free (when they were still making them, of course) and Universal's replaced 2 defective DVDs for me with no problems either- don't know what they'd do if I had any bad HD-DVDs from them. I let "Good Shepherd" go and paid for a replacement of that just because it was one disc and around 6 bucks, but 15 and counting from Warner, with multiple replacements failing, is beyond ridiculous.

JimRochester
05-15-11, 09:58 AM
I'm going to knock on wood right now but I'll have to check those titles again

orangerunner
05-15-11, 12:53 PM
I was curious about my Blood Diamond HDDVD as well. Sure enough at the 1 hr. 11 min. mark it froze and came up with an error.

The disc visually looked fine, I breathed on it and wiped it thoroughly. After placing it back in the machine and playing that same spot where it froze, it played fine.

I've had this happen with a few discs. I think they are just really sensitive to any smudges, fingerprints, sratches etc. Hell, I've taken discs directly out of the shrinkwrap and placed them in the machine and have had this happen.

This format is definitely not for the casual Joe-Sixpack who tosses the disc on top of his TV when he's finished watching it.

lordzeppelin
05-15-11, 03:46 PM
I just started checking some of my discs...everything seems to be fine on my Warner ones.

Blade Runner - Final Cut plays just fine
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same is perfect

And my combo discs load right up.

All of my Universal and Paramount discs seem fine as well...phew.

Alan Smithee
05-15-11, 03:59 PM
My "Song Remains the Same" seems OK too, though I'll have to watch all of it ASAP. That's another one where I'll be really pissed if it rots!

Haven't seen or heard of any problems with 1-sided Universal or Paramount discs, even though those were made by Technicolor who had a lot more problems with their standard DVDs than Warner. It's just the Universal combo discs you seem to have to watch out for.

lordzeppelin
05-15-11, 09:43 PM
My "Song Remains the Same" seems OK too, though I'll have to watch all of it ASAP. That's another one where I'll be really pissed if it rots!

Haven't seen or heard of any problems with 1-sided Universal or Paramount discs, even though those were made by Technicolor who had a lot more problems with their standard DVDs than Warner. It's just the Universal combo discs you seem to have to watch out for.

Me too. Did they ever fix the Audio dropout on the Zep blu? I think they did...I'll have to search.

As for the Universal combos - my Bourne Ultimatum is fine, as I watched it last week. American Gangster and Hot Fuzz played fine today, although I didn't watch the whole thing on either, just about 25 min of each.

Alan Smithee
05-15-11, 10:02 PM
Checking just the first 25 minutes might not be good enough, as many of the Warner discs I've had trouble with usually have trouble about 40-60 minutes into the movie. That's why I've been chapter-skipping through them- most of them will freeze up when trying to get to the next chapter if they're bad.

Found one more dud- License to Wed. This one's different as it seems to freeze up, then the player makes a grinding noise then skips ahead. Just about to give up on these damn things...

banthafett
05-16-11, 06:27 PM
Sorry to here you are having so much trouble Alan Smithee. Really stinks that these are not even that old. What makes it worse is the companies dont care anymore. Its kind of understandable, but it still isnt at the same time. If that makes sense.

Im so glad I didnt jump on those. And my reason is something that most will make fun of. I didnt like the red boxes. Thats why I didnt go with them, I hate red. Wife made fun of me about it at the time, but who has the last laugh now?

austin

candyrocket786
05-21-11, 08:09 PM
Zero issues with my discs and my player.

laserken
05-29-11, 01:57 PM
I found this thread last night after I finally unsealed my copy of "Forbidden Planet" and found -- during chapter 12 after whatsername gets out of the lake and is talking to Leslie Nielsen -- that the disc freezes and then the error message pops up. I made sure the disc was clean -- same result. Then I did a firmware upgrade on my A2. No go. Tried it on my A3 upstairs after another cleaning attempt -- even worse... the disc stutters and the screen turns to digital crud.

I'm guessing this is a pressing issue as I've never experienced this before and have been playing HD-DVDs for 4 years. At least I hope I'm right.... this thread is very disconcerting.

orangerunner
06-01-11, 06:31 PM
I just bought a used copy of Knocked Up which is a combo disc and noticed (after I bought it) there were several discolored spots and swirls on the HD DVD side.

I thought this one was a write-off but oddly enough it played flawlessly on my player. Some discs look perfect but do seem to have issues.

orangerunner
07-16-11, 01:31 AM
I just bought another HDDVD with the clouded effect on the underside of the disc and it froze in my player.

I took it out and rubbed car wax on it, buffed it and the cloudy effect was no longer visible.

Played fine all the way through after that.

DVD Polizei
07-16-11, 06:52 AM
OP, FWIW, I have a Toshiba XA2 and it's been playing all my Harry Potter discs just fine. Which is why I skipped (no pun intended) on the cheaper Toshiba models. You might try buying a used XA2.

Alan Smithee
07-16-11, 07:11 AM
As far as I know there were only 3 different internal drives made for all existing HD-DVD players (the 1, 2 and 3 models, with the RCA using the same as the A1 and Venturer using the same as the A3, A30 and A35.) I've noticed the A2 seems to handle bad discs better than my A30, though if it can't get through a bad part it will stop and show an error code rather than freeze and keep the counter running.

Just watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, after going through SIX bad copies! Almost sent back the one I watched too because it was playing the Warner Home Video intro then given a "System Error" message after that. I tried resetting the player back to factory defaults (which also clears the internal memory) and miraculously it played after that. I think I had that same problem with Gods and Generals.

BTW there's another way Warner screwed up HD-DVD- a few of their transfers look like they were done through a screen door- titles I've noticed include Willy Wonka, The Fugitive, Enter the Dragon, Lethal Weapon 2 and Caddyshack. Don't know if the Blu-Rays of these titles used the same transfers, but they really look terrible. Glad they weren't among the first HD-DVDs I watched.

Josh Z
07-18-11, 11:38 AM
BTW there's another way Warner screwed up HD-DVD- a few of their transfers look like they were done through a screen door- titles I've noticed include Willy Wonka, The Fugitive, Enter the Dragon, Lethal Weapon 2 and Caddyshack. Don't know if the Blu-Rays of these titles used the same transfers, but they really look terrible. Glad they weren't among the first HD-DVDs I watched.

All of these were from a small batch of titles that Warner sourced from old 1080i masters that were deinterlaced and frame rate converted at the studio to 1080p24 before being pressed to disc. The video was vertically filtered in the process. The result is that they all have noticeable aliasing (stair-stepping) artifacts. The Blu-rays use the same transfers.

The first Lethal Weapon and The Perfect Storm are also affected. However, I believe that the later Blu-ray edition of Perfect Storm (which was released significantly later) had some additional processing added to try to minimize the aliasing, which many people have complained makes it look even worse in other respects.

Alan Smithee
10-05-11, 01:49 AM
More casualties: 2 discs of "Nip/Tuck" were bad in the set I got from iNetvideo a couple years ago; after getting 2 new sets from Amazon I got one that played. Disc 4 of The Sopranos Season (whatever the final one was) Part 1 froze up too, got another set with a good disc 4 but a bad disc 2 so I just swapped its disc 4 into the old set. Now trying to get a good disc 4 of Smallville Season 6- gone through 3 of that and disc 4 freezes up right at the beginning of the first episode on that disc. Finally, just found out tonight that Cream Live at Royal Albert Hall freezes up at about 1 hour- that one's from Rhino which at least was affiliated with Warner but not sure if they still are, it was still manufactured by Cinram. Someone on Ebay has a bunch of sealed ones for $5 so ordered one and will see how that goes. (Again, I'm ONLY going through all this trouble to replace the bad discs because I'm a crazy media collector- any sane person would have just kicked them all to the curb!)

Also just got and watched "James Taylor Musicare's Person of the Year" tonight, also made by Cinram. Had a couple glitches but as it doesn't freeze up I'll let it slide, interestingly at one glitch it sometimes causes the PCM track's right channel to go to pink noise!

I've caught a lot of bad discs by running them on my HD-A2, which will display an error message and stop playing if it finds even the slightest imperfection on a disc. Surprisingly, I ran all the Universal combo discs on it and aside from the few I mentioned earlier, it made it through all of them with no problems. Ran all the dual-layer Cinram/Warner discs on that too so I THINK I've finally caught all the duds. (There's a small chance some could still end up freezing during the extras, so I'll still have to watch the ones I care about sooner rather than later.)

BTW I did watch "Lethal Weapon" and it doesn't have the blocky transfer- I have two copies of that now, one by itself and one in one of the "Best of HD-DVD" boxes which I got to replace 2 other defective discs that came in it. "Lethal Weapon 2" does however have a blocky transfer but at least the damn disc plays like it's supposed to.

JimRochester
10-05-11, 03:59 PM
Still haven't had any problems with any of mine.

dgj2301
10-25-11, 12:47 AM
I have an Hd-a30 that would freeze on most disc. I bought it to replace the xbox360 hd dvd player because my xbox would keep getting the rings of death. I noticed that those same movies would not freeze using the same player on another TV and they would never freeze on my hd-a2. I wonder if there is another variable other than a bad disc or bad laser. tried playing happy feet the other day and it wouldn't even play, even on my bh200. Had to buy it on Blu-Ray. I watched matrix revolutions the other day and it paused towards the end but I rewound it and it played through the same part fine. I think eventually, I'll replace all my hd DVDs on blu-ray, or at least my favorite movies

orangerunner
10-28-11, 09:13 PM
I think firmware upgrades are a big factor.

I have an A-3 which wouldn't play a Clockwork Orange at all. I updated it with 4.0 and it worked fine. It even played through the 55 minute point which caused my A2 to freeze up.

Hammer99
10-29-11, 04:21 PM
Still have 152 HD DVDs. :up: I continue to upgrade titles to Blu here & there, but most of them are stuff I don't plan on re-buying. It's been awhile since I've played any of them though, & I can't be bothered to check any. I do wish Universal would finally put Midnight Run & The Sting out on BD already, cause those are the 2 'exclusive' titles left that I watched the most.

laserken
01-19-12, 09:06 PM
Hi Alan,

I'm having issues with Disc 3 of N/T....

Is the error message a sure sign the disc is bad or could it be a player issue? This is maddening...

More casualties: 2 discs of "Nip/Tuck" were bad in the set I got from iNetvideo a couple years ago; after getting 2 new sets from Amazon I got one that played. Disc 4 of The Sopranos Season (whatever the final one was) Part 1 froze up too, got another set with a good disc 4 but a bad disc 2 so I just swapped its disc 4 into the old set. Now trying to get a good disc 4 of Smallville Season 6- gone through 3 of that and disc 4 freezes up right at the beginning of the first episode on that disc. Finally, just found out tonight that Cream Live at Royal Albert Hall freezes up at about 1 hour- that one's from Rhino which at least was affiliated with Warner but not sure if they still are, it was still manufactured by Cinram. Someone on Ebay has a bunch of sealed ones for $5 so ordered one and will see how that goes. (Again, I'm ONLY going through all this trouble to replace the bad discs because I'm a crazy media collector- any sane person would have just kicked them all to the curb!)

Also just got and watched "James Taylor Musicare's Person of the Year" tonight, also made by Cinram. Had a couple glitches but as it doesn't freeze up I'll let it slide, interestingly at one glitch it sometimes causes the PCM track's right channel to go to pink noise!

I've caught a lot of bad discs by running them on my HD-A2, which will display an error message and stop playing if it finds even the slightest imperfection on a disc. Surprisingly, I ran all the Universal combo discs on it and aside from the few I mentioned earlier, it made it through all of them with no problems. Ran all the dual-layer Cinram/Warner discs on that too so I THINK I've finally caught all the duds. (There's a small chance some could still end up freezing during the extras, so I'll still have to watch the ones I care about sooner rather than later.)

BTW I did watch "Lethal Weapon" and it doesn't have the blocky transfer- I have two copies of that now, one by itself and one in one of the "Best of HD-DVD" boxes which I got to replace 2 other defective discs that came in it. "Lethal Weapon 2" does however have a blocky transfer but at least the damn disc plays like it's supposed to.

orangerunner
01-19-12, 09:33 PM
Still have 152 HD DVDs. :up: I continue to upgrade titles to Blu here & there, but most of them are stuff I don't plan on re-buying. It's been awhile since I've played any of them though, & I can't be bothered to check any. I do wish Universal would finally put Midnight Run & The Sting out on BD already, cause those are the 2 'exclusive' titles left that I watched the most.

I'm just curious how many people upgrade their HDDVDs to Blu-ray?

I understand people who upgrade their DVDs to Blu-ray but in many cases the HDDVD transfer is identical to the Blu-ray version. Why upgrade?

When you consider the $30 paid for the HDDVD version by the early adopters, does it make sense to then shell out another $5-$20 for virtually the same thing on Blu?

Yeah, HDDVD is dead but wouldn't it be easier to purchase another used back-up player or two than to replace multiple titles? I have scooped a few machines up for $15-$20 each.

I'm sure this will cover you for the next 10-15 years or at least long enough until it no longer matters.

Has HDDVD been really unreliable for many users?

Alan Smithee
01-20-12, 12:31 AM
As long as this has been bumped up again, I'll add that I've ran all my dual-layer Warner discs through my HD-A2 player, which will stop and show an error message if there's any glitch on the disc. Ones that stopped I then checked on my HD-A30 which will freeze up if there's a real problem, sometimes there will just be one frame going blocky then continue to play normally so I've accepted those as good enough. Last week I finally sent all my bad discs back to Warner with a note telling them I hope they do the right thing and replace them with Blu-Rays or any other format that will play as it's supposed to; I wasn't going to just throw the bad discs out and I don't have room to just keep them here.

Anyways, here's my master list of bad HD-DVDs- again, these were checked on MULTIPLE players:

Blade Runner- disc 1 (Final Cut) freezes
Viva Las Vegas- had several copies which would not load at all
Nip/Tuck- disc 2 is bad in many sets
Smallville Season 6- disc 4 is bad in many sets (freezes during beginning of first episode), also some disc 2's have problems
The Sopranos Season 6 Part 1- discs 2 and 4
Blood Diamond- many copies don't load or freeze at very start of movie
Happy Feet (single-sided version in "Best of HD-DVD Family" set- my combo version is fine)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory- many copies will not load (others may give error message but play after resetting player to defaults), still others may freeze later into movie
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Space Cowboys
Cream at Royal Albert Hall- went through *14* bad copies of this til I got one that played straight through!
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (individual disc and one found in box set)
Goodfellas
The Wild Bunch
The Dukes of Hazzard (glitched during movie and froze during one bonus segment)
Superman The Movie
Purple Rain
Alexander Revisited- movie is split onto 2 discs and one copy froze during BOTH!
A Christmas Story
The Fugitive
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Michael Clayton (only Warner combo disc to give me trouble)

I also had the A2 play all my Universal combo discs as I heard there were problems with those- amazingly the only ones of those I had to replace were: Dead Silence, Breach and The Bourne Ultimatum. Bourne actually played fine the first time I watched it but froze up repeatedly near the end when I watched it a 2nd time with the picture-in-picture commentary.

Discs that my A2 would not get through, but played on my A30:

Eyes Wide Shut (slight glitch during movie)
Pat Metheny- The Way Up
Santana- Hymns for Peace
Lethal Weapon (in Best of HD-DVD box set- slight glitch)
Ocean's 11 (slight glitch)
Deliverance
Under Siege (slight glitch)
The Wild Bunch (replacement copy- multiple glitches on A30 but no freezes or sound dropouts so accepted as good enough)

Only time will tell if any more discs will 'rot' later.

JimRochester
01-20-12, 06:33 AM

I understand people who upgrade their DVDs to Blu-ray but in many cases the HDDVD transfer is identical to the Blu-ray version. Why upgrade?

When you consider the $30 paid for the HDDVD version by the early adopters, does it make sense to then shell out another $5-$20 for virtually the same thing on Blu?

Yeah, HDDVD is dead but wouldn't it be easier to purchase another used back-up player or two than to replace multiple titles? I have scooped a few machines up for $15-$20 each.

I'm sure this will cover you for the next 10-15 years or at least long enough until it no longer matters.

Out of 79 titles I have one; Accepted, that freezes at one spot in the movie.

I've only upgraded a couple titles from HD to Blu. In both cases the HD is fine but Batman Begins was a BF deal for $5 and Heartbreak Kid I needed a 5th title for the 5/20. Other than that I have no interest in upgrading. Why bother, if the HD plays fine then I'll wait. I still have another HD player in the bedroom and one in the box so there really is no reason to worry.

dvd-4-life
01-20-12, 08:23 AM

I just started watching HD-DVDs and been having lots of problems. Have an HD A-3 player. Can't download the firmware update because I don't have a DVD burner.
So far it won't play-Lethal Weapon
Cat People
Twilight Zone the Movie

Thinking about getting a back-up player and hoping it will play the discs that the other player is having problems. I've got about a total of 65 HD-DVDs and have been disappointed so far.

Alan Smithee
02-17-12, 07:18 PM
Update with some good results- I went ahead and sent my bad HD-DVDs to Warner last month, and today got Blu-Rays of most of the same titles. Some movies I sent them 2 copies of so they sent me 2 of the same Blu-Ray so I'll give those to my parents; got 2 regular DVDs of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for the 2 bad HD-DVDs I sent of that since the only Blu-Ray version out right now is the box set. Chamber of Secrets was in a thinpak suggesting it had been taken from a box set, but was still sealed. They also threw in a Blu-Ray of Batman (1989) which was nice of them, that was never released on HD-DVD.

Thanks Warner, I'll keep buying your stuff. (But PLEASE stop with the Eco-Cases!)

JimRochester
02-18-12, 07:01 AM
I still have just one with a problem. I have a copy of Accepted, there is one glitch towards the end where it freezes. No visible scratches and I've cleaned it to the best of my ability. Still not out on blu yet, but I bought that because it was only a couple bucks. I wouldn't bother owning again for $10 or more. I'll just FF thru the bad part

steelpotato
02-18-12, 02:53 PM
My copy of Goodfellas is no good; simply won't play the last 20 minutes of the film :(

Noibeli
03-05-12, 04:44 AM
Hi

I am new on this forum. I have over 800 HD DVDs and a friend of mine in Germany told me about some Warner HD DVDs discs with issues. I have spent a lot of time this year testing some those Warner discs. Here my ultimate list with the faulty/defective discs:

2001 Space Odyssee GER
300 GER+US
A christmas story US
Alexander Revisted US
Batman begins US
Blade Runner US
Blood diamond UK+US+GER
Bullitt GER
Charlie and the chocolate factory US+GER
Clockwork Orange GER +US
Constantine GER
Corpse Bride GER
Die Insel GER
Erbarmungslos GER
Flags of Our Fathers UK
Forbidden Planet US
Getaway GER
Gods and generals US
Goodfellas US
Harry Potter 1 US GER
Harry Potter 2 US
Harry Potter 5 GER
Honoring James Taylor US
Die Insel GER
Last Samurai US+GER
Lethal Weapon GER
Letters from Iwo Jima GER
Matrix 1 GER
Matrix 3 US
Music and lyrics US
Mutiny on the bounty US
Nip/Tuck S4 Disc 2 US
Ocean's 11 US+GER
Ocean's 12 US
Ocean's 13 GER+US
Pan's Labyrinth GER
Password: Swordfish US+GER
Phantom of the opera US
Poseidon GER US
Prestige GER
Purple rain US + UK
Road Warropr US
Robin Hood US
Scooby Doo GER
Shining US + GER
Smallvill S6
Space Cowboys US GER
Superman returns GER
Superman US
The Assassination of Jesse James GER
The Cowboys US
The Fugitive US
The Reaping GER
The wild bunch US
Training Day US
Troja GER
Under siege US
Unvorgiven US
V wie Vendetta GER
Viva las vegas US
Wild bunch US

Goddamnit!! Aynway, I have tested the discs on my XA2 (European XE1) and A30 (European EP30) players. About 5 discs don't work on the XA2 but on the A30. All others don't work on none of them.

I would suggest: IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO REPLACE all discs. It does make more sense to find out which player is the best one for playing those difficult discs ?!

A friend of mine in the US told me that the LG BH200 Player is not that sensible when it's about playing difficult HD DVD discs.

My question: Can anyone confirm about the LG BH200? This would help a lot.

Thanks for your help!

Gizmo
03-05-12, 09:32 AM
I have a BH200 and it's been pretty good about playing every HD DVD I've thrown at it (can't say the same for Blu-ray since LG is no longer updating firmware to support newer titles). Looks like most of those are Warner titles. Pretty weird.

Noibeli
03-05-12, 09:45 AM
I have a BH200 and it's been pretty good about playing every HD DVD I've thrown at it (can't say the same for Blu-ray since LG is no longer updating firmware to support newer titles). Looks like most of those are Warner titles. Pretty weird.

Thanks GizmoDVD. Yeah, several HD DVD collectors told me the same about the LG BH200. A friend of mine tried to play Honoring James Taylor on his XA2 and he got the failure message, than he tried it on his LG BH200 and it played fine. What the fuck?!

Anyway GizmoDVD, I am going to pick up the same player. By the way, sad we don't see you anymore on Highdefdigest. May I ask, what happened??

Alan Smithee
03-05-12, 11:00 AM
My BH200 no longer plays HD-DVDs past the opening now ever since I tried a bad Warner disc on it! Now on every HD-DVD, it just plays whatever is at the opening (usually Warner's FBI warning or Universal's logo) then refuses to play any farther. Thing was a piece of junk anyways, it force-stretched all 4x3 material! So glad I bought it used for not too much. (It does still play Blu-Rays fine though it's not my main player; don't have any out-of-region discs yet.)

slimdude
12-09-12, 12:10 AM
Thanks GizmoDVD. Yeah, several HD DVD collectors told me the same about the LG BH200. A friend of mine tried to play Honoring James Taylor on his XA2 and he got the failure message, than he tried it on his LG BH200 and it played fine. What the fuck?!

Anyway GizmoDVD, I am going to pick up the same player.
It would be foolish to invest more money into a dead format, when you already have a HD-DVD Player. The majority of those movies, are released on blu-ray. The movies that are not released on blu-ray, that's been release on HD-DVD, will eventually be released on blu-ray. It's just a matter of time! Just chalk it up as an experience, and wait for the blu-ray

dvd-4-life
12-09-12, 06:07 AM
What's the cheapest used HD-DVD player that plays all HD-DVD w/o a problem? Since we have one positive and one negative vote on the LG BH200,I think I will pass on that one. I have over 50 HD DVDs and been throwing the defective ones in the garbage. For the most part its been WB HD DVDs and a hand full of Universal HD DVDs.

JimRochester
12-09-12, 07:28 AM
It's funny, I've still had very little problem with any of the HD DVD's not playing. Accepted has one glitch and freezes toward the end in the courtroom scene, but that's not yet available on Blu. I have upgraded a few titles to Blu but only because they were such smokin BF deals, or in some cases I needed something to fullfill a 5/20 or a U&S coupon.

Gizmo
12-09-12, 02:27 PM
It would be foolish to invest more money into a dead format, when you already have a HD-DVD Player. The majority of those movies, are released on blu-ray. The movies that are not released on blu-ray, that's been release on HD-DVD, will eventually be released on blu-ray. It's just a matter of time! Just chalk it up as an experience, and wait for the blu-ray

I remember the "all HD DVDs will be on Blu-ray is about a year" back in 2008 by some of the big wigs. It's now almost 2013 and there are still HD DVD exclusive movies. Yeah, that's nearly 5 full years after the death of HD DVD.

At this point, many of the HD DVDs are $1-$2 each. The players can be had for $20-$40. There's a good chance some of those HD DVD titles will never be released on Blu-ray (some available only overseas, some of which are region coded on Blu-ray). So if someone really wants to watch some movies in HD, on disc, HD DVD is the only way to go. Plus, some still look better thanks to no additional DNR/EE and/or have more special features.

Am I advocating rushing out and buying HD DVD? No. But the "it'll eventually come out Blu-ray" is probably the worst line ever considering it's been 5 years.

Gizmo
12-09-12, 02:30 PM
What's the cheapest used HD-DVD player that plays all HD-DVD w/o a problem? Since we have one positive and one negative vote on the LG BH200,I think I will pass on that one. I have over 50 HD DVDs and been throwing the defective ones in the garbage. For the most part its been WB HD DVDs and a hand full of Universal HD DVDs.

If you don't care about 1080p, get an A2 or A3. If you care about 1080p, get a A20 or A30.

The A35 is a little less common but I think still commands around $80. The XA2 is the best HD DVD player around and goes for about $150ish.

Ignore any first generation models. They look great, but load times are killer.

If you have an Xbox 360, just get the add-on. That's about $20 or so and it should play just about everything and it takes up little space (it's what I currently use for the 5-10 HD DVDs I still play a year).

slimdude
12-09-12, 03:38 PM
I remember the "all HD DVDs will be on Blu-ray is about a year" back in 2008 by some of the big wigs. It's now almost 2013 and there are still HD DVD exclusive movies. Yeah, that's nearly 5 full years after the death of HD DVD.

At this point, many of the HD DVDs are $1-$2 each. The players can be had for $20-$40. There's a good chance some of those HD DVD titles will never be released on Blu-ray (some available only overseas, some of which are region coded on Blu-ray). So if someone really wants to watch some movies in HD, on disc, HD DVD is the only way to go. Plus, some still look better thanks to no additional DNR/EE and/or have more special features.

Am I advocating rushing out and buying HD DVD? No. But the "it'll eventually come out Blu-ray" is probably the worst line ever considering it's been 5 years.
I could see if there were hundreds and thousands of titles that were not released on blu-ray, but it's only just a handful. I know 5 years is a long time, but there are still hundreds of movies that's been previously released on VHS and laserdisc, that were never released on DVD either. If there is a movie that's not released on blu-ray, nor HD-DVD that I want to see, I'll just watch the DVD up-converted on my blu-ray player. It may not look near as good as the blu-ray and HD-DVD, but I'll live through it. Warner Brothers HD-DVD releases were known to be defected, so those same titles had to be re-purchased on blu-ray, since the HD-DVDs wasn't reliable to play thoroughly.

Alan Smithee
12-09-12, 07:18 PM
I have both an A30 and A2 hooked up right now- some discs play fine on one but not the other, so I have to keep them both hooked up. (Have an A35 on the way finally, so will see how that one compares.)

It would be interesting to see what would have happened if HD-DVD had won the format war with all these bad discs out there. I'm guessing most people are just assuming their players are dying rather than the discs rotting.

orangerunner
12-09-12, 07:43 PM
It would be interesting to see what would have happened if HD-DVD had won the format war with all these bad discs out there. I'm guessing most people are just assuming their players are dying rather than the discs rotting.

Blu-rays aren't completely without their problems and quirks as well. I had a Basic Instinct (Lion's Gate version) disc that simply wouldn't load up. There were absolutely no scratches or visible defects.

Starship Troopers wouldn't load on my Sony Blu-ray until until I found out you have to put a USB stick in the back of the machine, then it loaded up just fine.

orangerunner
12-09-12, 07:48 PM
Ignore any first generation models. They look great, but load times are killer.

I read somewhere, not sure if it's entirely true, but the A1 Toshiba machines work great as CD players as they contain the same drives and guts of some $2000 audiophile quality CD players.

If it's true then it's a pretty good pick-up for $20!

slimdude
12-09-12, 08:53 PM
I read somewhere, not sure if it's entirely true, but the A1 Toshiba machines work great as CD players as they contain the same drives and guts of some $2000 audiophile quality CD players.

I've never played a CD in my blu-ray player, nor my HD-DVD Player. I may play a CD to see what it sound like someday. I"m more of a movie buff, than a music lover, especially with all the crap they're making nowadays. I don't even consider that as music! Whenever I do decide to listen to the radio, or play my record albums, and CDs, I listen to old school.

E_v_i_l
12-09-12, 08:56 PM
Starship Troopers wouldn't load on my Sony Blu-ray until until I found out you have to put a USB stick in the back of the machine, then it loaded up just fine.
I had the same issue with Crank: High Voltage.

Alan Smithee
12-09-12, 09:01 PM
Those are more software problems than media problems- the discs just don't play properly under some circumstances if they don't like the hardware, but the DO play- at the very least, there's nothing wrong with the physical disc, only the way it's been authored. Rotted HD-DVDs are genuinely defective due to poor manufacturing, and they can never be played again once they are in that state. (I have one porn HD-DVD that won't play properly on my A30 due to bad authoring- the video that plays under the main menu comes up, but it doesn't show any of the overlayed graphics so you can't start the feature. My A2 plays it fine.)

bruceames
12-10-12, 12:12 PM

Noebeli is an HD DVD collector in the truest sense of the world, certainly owning one of the top collections (if not the top) in the world.

HD DVD, in addition being just as good as Blu-ray, having many exclusives (well over 100) and many others that have something superior about them than the Blu-ray version, as well as being very cheap on most titles and players, is a very collectible format as well for those who are so inclined. There is quite a bit of rare stuff on the format (mostly imports). So it's not necessary that the format be avoided like the plague, especially for those wanting access to those exclusives (the list of which is getting trimmed slower than ever).

slimdude
12-10-12, 01:10 PM
Noebeli is an HD DVD collector in the truest sense of the world, certainly owning one of the top collections (if not the top) in the world.

HD DVD, in addition being just as good as Blu-ray, having many exclusives (well over 100) and many others that have something superior about them than the Blu-ray version, as well as being very cheap on most titles and players, is a very collectible format as well for those who are so inclined. There is quite a bit of rare stuff on the format (mostly imports). So it's not necessary that the format be avoided like the plague, especially for those wanting access to those exclusives (the list of which is getting trimmed slower than ever).
It's not a matter of being an avid HD-DVD collector (which isn't a problem) but the matter is, can certain discs still play without a hitch, whether the glitch is the source of the disc(s) or the player itself. If it's the player, then you're out of luck because, the parts are no longer being manufactured, even when all updated firmware has been previously installed. Having the player repaired by a professional technician, is going to cost a lot more to fix it, than what the HD-DVD player is worth.

bunkaroo
12-10-12, 02:25 PM
If anyone is interested in a fully functional and barely used HD-A1 or HD-A20, PM me. Haven't touched them in years.

I liked the format a lot for imports. Domestics - not so much. Thankfully all the imports I had on the format were released on Blu within a year or two.

orangerunner
12-10-12, 04:43 PM
For someone who wants to start a HD collection from scratch, I think HDDVD is a great place to begin.

I bought into HDDVD back in 2010 and throughout some various wheelin' & dealin' I have 300 titles and five machines. When I calculated what I bought and sold over the past two years, my collection worked out to $1.46 per title and that includes the five machines.

You can't really go wrong even if you get a few duds among the titles.

Gizmo
12-10-12, 05:09 PM
If anyone is interested in a fully functional and barely used HD-A1 or HD-A20, PM me. Haven't touched them in years.

I liked the format a lot for imports. Domestics - not so much. Thankfully all the imports I had on the format were released on Blu within a year or two.

What imports?

bruceames
12-10-12, 05:16 PM
It's not a matter of being an avid HD-DVD collector (which isn't a problem) but the matter is, can certain discs still play without a hitch, whether the glitch is the source of the disc(s) or the player itself. If it's the player, then you're out of luck because, the parts are no longer being manufactured, even when all updated firmware has been previously installed. Having the player repaired by a professional technician, is going to cost a lot more to fix it, than what the HD-DVD player is worth.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was responding to the point that it was "foolish" to invest in an HD DVD player at this point in time. I never addressed the issue of defective discs, which is what this thread is all about.

So to contribute something positive to the thread topic, while there are discs that are truly defective and won't play in any player, there are others that are "sensitive" and will only play in "less finicky" players. It seems in general the players that are most likely to play the defective Warner discs (if any will play them) are the BH200 and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on.

So it mostly boils down to getting the right discs and/or the right players. Fortunately they are cheap so the risk involved is low.

And speaking of cheap, it seems Blu-ray is getting pretty cheap itself these days. If buying anything of the formats is foolish, I'd be inclined to say that it would be more likely BLu-ray than HD DVD, because HD DVD is already devalued so much and doesn't suffer price erosion nearly to the extent as Blu-ray does now.

dvd-4-life
12-10-12, 06:02 PM
Here's a question that I don't think has been asked. Once you play an WB HD-DVD and it plays ok-does that mean that it will play the second,third,fourth time w/o problem?

bunkaroo
12-10-12, 08:48 PM
What imports?

I'm not going to type out the list. Probably 6-10 of them. You can look up my profile at Blu-ray.com to figure out which ones have been on both formats. Two that immediately come to mind are Tideland and Le Pacte de Loups.

MBoyd
12-10-12, 08:53 PM

That's how I'm using mine. It's slow to load, but sounds good. I've picked up a couple of formerly expensive CD players at thrift stores that I want to get repaired someday. They might eventually replace it.

Qui Gon Jim
12-11-12, 07:16 AM
I am just thankful every day that load times have improved over what they were when the formats were released. I don't look fondly on the interminable waiting on a move to load in my XA-1, and then the fury when a movie would crash during the viewing and having to wait, again, to reload.

The modern BD players are much better in this regard for sure.

bunkaroo
12-11-12, 09:08 AM
Agreed. ^^^^ The wait for the BDP-S1 to load was brutal, and that was the "flagship" launch Sony player. It wouldn't even play the Die Hard menu screen smoothly. PQ was great though....once you got to it LOL.

Why So Blu?
12-11-12, 11:02 AM
The only two HD-DVDs from my collection that I know of that went all glitchy were Batman Begins (during the Tumbler chase) and Bourne Ultimatum (with only 15 minutes left to go). All the rest play fine.

I have since replaced Batman Begins with that BD Steelbook that came out when TDKR was in theaters.

Alan Smithee
12-11-12, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE]Here's a question that I don't think has been asked. Once you play an WB HD-DVD and it plays ok-does that mean that it will play the second,third,fourth time w/o problem?[/QUOTE

I've had a couple mess up on 2nd viewing when they played fine the first time. Others who have owned discs since they were first issued have said some have stopped playing completely, suggesting this is a rot issue. (I can only recall 3 regular DVDs doing this.) To be fair, I've heard some of the early blu-ray discs have been having problems recently also, but I'll bet not on as large a scale.

Gizmo
12-11-12, 10:00 PM
Agreed. ^^^^ The wait for the BDP-S1 to load was brutal, and that was the "flagship" launch Sony player. It wouldn't even play the Die Hard menu screen smoothly. PQ was great though....once you got to it LOL.

Nearly all the players, both HD DVD and Blu-ray, were slow and shit until like mid 2008 (for Blu-ray, obviously). I'd hate to go back to that 3 minute load time.

Josh-da-man
12-12-12, 12:40 AM

I realize this is an old post, but I have to wonder if certain discs aren't somehow corrupting the players' firmware.

I seem to recall something about certain discs (don't know if they were blu-ray or HD-DVD) that would have then-current firmware on them and perform on auto update when you put them in your player. Could it be something like this? Is there any way to reset the players to their factory settings?

Josh Z
12-12-12, 03:16 PM
I seem to recall something about certain discs (don't know if they were blu-ray or HD-DVD) that would have then-current firmware on them and perform on auto update when you put them in your player. Could it be something like this? Is there any way to reset the players to their factory settings?

If that were the case, the firmware number would change in the player's info menu.

Also, as slow as disc loading was, firmware updates were much slower, and required a power down afterwards. You'd know if something like that happened.

bruceames
12-12-12, 04:44 PM
Loading times are much faster than they were back in the early days, but thanks to Java and BD-live they are still much, much slower than DVD. That is a big strike against the format in this era of convenience.

zyzzle
12-12-12, 11:47 PM
Which is why making backup copies has its place. Strip the Java crap, BD-live crap, menus, and just have the damn movie start when I put it in the drive. Load times miraculously are then down to 5 seconds flat! Hooray!

MBoyd
07-31-13, 11:14 AM
Not sure if anyone has had issues with Sopranos Season 6 pt 1 and 2 yet, but I discovered the very first disc on episode 2 would not play today. Noticed only the first 2 discs of each set are cloudy. Didn't bother to go and try each one. Pretty sure I can guess the results.

JimRochester
07-31-13, 02:18 PM
Played a few recently; Notting Hill, Caddyshack, Smokey And The Bandit and Timecop. All played without a problem. The only problem disc I've had is Accepted, and that seemed to be bad when I got it.

Alan Smithee
07-31-13, 02:43 PM
The first of the two Sopranos sets was one of my many problem titles- the first one I got, the 4th disc froze up. Found a second copy and one of the earlier discs in that froze up but the 4th was good, so I just swapped the 4th disc out of that one. Sad to say but I really don't miss this format now!

dvd-4-life
07-31-13, 03:58 PM
In the past when I had trouble playing an HD-DVD,I would throw the thing in the garbage. Now I keep playing it till its completed even when it stops playing 3 or 4 times.

larrsz
08-01-13, 06:36 AM
I had the same issue with a bunch of HD DVDs, primarily Warner titles. Warner replaced a bunch of them a couple or three years ago but indicated they would not do them all (I think there were about 25 or so). I replaced almost all the rest during the Red2Blu program they had that allowed you to "upgrade" your Warner HDs to BD for $5.

Recently I also "replaced" several of my remaining HDs with BDs through their DVD2Blu program that is still going on. You send any commercial DVD in and get a BD to replace it for $5. And, they mean "any" DVD, it does not have to be the same title. I think I did about 25 of them and I used some old bargain bin stuff I had picked up in a yard sale; but if you really want to I think they would likely take your defective HDs instead, they basically just melt them down and recycle them.

davidh777
08-10-17, 11:56 AM
I was watching The Matrix last night on my 360 add-on, and it froze about 90 minutes in, and I think that happened when I watched it last year. I think I'll have to Netflix it, or stop dragging my feet and get a digital copy or a cheap BD version. The good news is that The Animatrix on the bonus disc of the three-movie set played flawlessly! :dance:

JimRochester
08-10-17, 03:07 PM
I'm in no rush but I am slowly replacing some of my HD DVD's as new ones come out. The big problem is that there are definitely some movies I don't mind owning but there is no way they are worth a double dip, even for cheap.

Alan Smithee
08-10-17, 11:58 PM
The Animatrix in that set was a regular DVD, so less likely to have problems with that. Just checked my Blade Runner set and BOTH the Final Cut and Theatrical Version discs now will not play at all!

davidh777
08-11-17, 12:11 AM
I'm in no rush but I am slowly replacing some of my HD DVD's as new ones come out. The big problem is that there are definitely some movies I don't mind owning but there is no way they are worth a double dip, even for cheap.

That's the thing. I'm not going to replace something like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Then again, I would replace The Getaway but it's not available.

The Animatrix in that set was a regular DVD, so less likely to have problems with that.

Nuts. :sad:

geodi
08-11-17, 12:38 PM
For what's it worth, I took 28 HD-DVDs to Wal-Mart and I can now stream them in HD via VUDU.

orangerunner
08-11-17, 02:20 PM
I still have about 300 HD-DVDs and as far as I know only six Warner titles have failed on me. Two would not load and the other four stalled at the midway point.

I can watch the first 40 minutes and last 40 minutes, but nothing in between!

I always sense that my collection is on borrowed time. I'm not sure if more will fail over time or if titles that have lasted this long will continue to play without issues.

I repurchased some of the better titles in Blu-ray but if more fail, they fail, I'm not replacing them. Besides, I bought into HDDVD in 2010 and all of my titles averaged-out at $1.50 each so it's not huge loss.

PhantomStranger
08-11-17, 02:44 PM
The studios would have had a huge mess on their hands with HD-DVDs failing like this if it had won the format war.

Josh Z
08-11-17, 03:27 PM
Are we sure the problem is the discs failing, or could it be the Toshiba players, which were always flaky to begin with?

davidh777
08-11-17, 03:41 PM
In my case, it's the 360 add-on, and The Matrix is the only disc I've had problems with over the last year or so, in which time I've played, er, two other discs.

orangerunner
08-11-17, 07:00 PM
The studios would have had a huge mess on their hands with HD-DVDs failing like this if it had won the format war.

I have only noticed it on Warner HD-DVDs that were purchased in the US. The titles I bought In Canada seem to be fine so they may have been pressed in a different plant.

The first crop of Lion's Gate Blu-rays seemed to have a similar issue. My copies of Basic Instinct, Reservoir Dogs and Devil's Rejects all came to a point where they would no longer load.

orangerunner
08-11-17, 07:02 PM
Are we sure the problem is the discs failing, or could it be the Toshiba players, which were always flaky to begin with?

I tested the discs in three different players with the same results. The good discs played fine and the bad discs played poorly.

Alan Smithee
08-11-17, 08:37 PM
That's probably why I see Toshiba HD-DVD players show up often in Goodwill stores- people probably thought they had stopped working when their discs would no longer play and thought the problem was with the player and not the discs.

slybone
08-14-17, 05:57 AM
Reading this thread makes me really glad that Blu-ray won the format war. ;)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0