Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Monster Cable used by pros...why not use R.S.?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Monster Cable used by pros...why not use R.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-00, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw somewhere recently, whether online or in a magazine a long list of films that were produced and recorded using Monster Cable.
After reading all the anti-Monster talk on here, my question is this...if Radio Shack is "just as good, but cheaper" as proclaimed on here by so many, why aren't the pros using it?
And it wasn't a 'testimonial' type ad, it was just a long list, so let's not bring up the 'they were paid to say they use it' argument.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Presented by Samuel L. Bronkowitz
Old 09-19-00, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would need more info to be accurate, but maybe MONSTER donated the cables to them.

Even though I have about $10K in my home theater (separate amps for every channel) I doubt my stuff is a good as the pros. Recoton or Radio Shack gold plated cables sound as good on my system as do any other HIGHER $$$$ cables, so I returned the higher $$$ ones and never looked back.

If my home theater cost me $100K I might possibly notice a difference with higher $$$ cables, but that will never happen.

If YOU like the way a cable sounds (expensive or not) then YOU should buy and use it. Just like we all have different tastes in speakers.
Old 09-19-00, 08:18 PM

The Pros use Monster Cable simply because they are not concerned with money. When spending millions on a film what does it matter to spend more on cables? It comes down to the fact that some people just prefer to pay more for a name brand. In the end there is really no difference between the cables other then price.
Old 09-19-00, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, I hated my Radio Shack SVID cable. My Monster Cable SVID is quite a bit better, esp. with color bleeding.
Old 09-19-00, 10:43 PM
BEC

Why do people recommend RS over Monster?

-Bandwagon bashing. A high-profile product gets a few negative reviews (Sony, Bose, Monitor), others join in w/o ever trying the products.

-Pre-reasoning. Some people use science or psuedo-science to dismiss the more subtle effects of audio (digital cables, bi-wiring, quality amplification). They "know" cable is cable", hence Monster is a rip-off. They mention RS just to cover bets if they aren't 100% sure.

-Bang for the buck. Many people (particuarly in this forum) are budget minded. The gains from a product have to be WORTH the extra money. Some of these guys won't spend out of proportion to their budget. Some have actually comparison shopped, and not seen/heard a difference (if any) that is worth the extra cost to them. It may be gear limitation (which is always a backhanded insult), but more likely an honest opinion.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 19, 2000).]
Old 09-19-00, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess you got to test each cable before making your desicions, of course Monster Cables have high price but even Tara Labs have high price also, each make thier own versions of cables,at the end i just followed my budget and got the best cables i could buy.

[This message has been edited by Kumar J (edited September 19, 2000).]
Old 09-20-00, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use all Monster Cables. I went to Radio Shack and looked around. Their gold plated stuff looks pretty good, I'm sure it sounds good. I just want piece of mind knowing that I *have* a good product, not that I *might* have a good product.

Besides, the idiots at RS don't know anything.
Old 09-20-00, 01:04 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High end Monster Cable is probably marginally better than RS cables, but unless your an extremely picky, nerdy audio/videophile, the negligible difference probably isn't going to justify the expenses. I mean you can buy several dvd's with the money you save between Monster and RS cables.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited September 19, 2000).]
Old 09-20-00, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I gather from previous threads, and the responses here, it seems as if the budget has a lot to do with it.
I agree with SirPablo, knowing that when I buy Monster, I am getting a quality product. Radio Shack might be as good, but I hate when people bash Monster users, claiming how much you 'could have saved'. Personally, I buy Monster products and those 'several DVDs'. I don't have a budget

------------------

Old 09-20-00, 12:10 PM

I agree that there is nothing wrong with people buying monster cable. I do however always suggest Radio Shack cable when asked about it because it really is the same thing. In college we actually disected several different brands and types of cable including Radio Shack, Monster Cable, AR, etc. and found that there is really no difference in the basic construction and materials used. I have always used Radio Shack cables and now have the peace of mind that they consist of everything a cable that costs twice as much does. Some people can't put a price on peace of mind so for them Monster CAble is fine and I understand that. However I will continue reccomending Radio Shack because of my very positive personal experiences. Unfortunately most of the people that work there can offer no help at all so you must know what you are looking for when you go to the shack.
Old 09-20-00, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Diminishing Returns is what keeps me away from Monster cables over Radio Shack-like cables.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 09-20-00, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Patman:
Diminishing Returns is what keeps me away from Monster cables over Radio Shack-like cables.

<HR>

I'll stick with what I have been using, and that's Monster Cable. Well crafted, durable cables that I know I can count on. I know a Yugo would get me where I want to go, but a BMW is such a nicer ride.

------------------

Old 09-20-00, 08:14 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
I know a Yugo would get me where I want to go, but a BMW is such a nicer ride.

<HR>

Very poor comparison. A Yugo is a POS and a BMW is a quality piece of craftsmanship. Radio Shack cables and Monster cables are the same thing. Why not use the comparison of a Mercerdes (Radio Shack) to a Rolles Royce (Monster Cable). That makes much more sense.
Old 09-20-00, 09:03 PM
BEC

I like Mike Knapp's (Hometheatertalk.com)advice on cables. Spending less on cables than the next system upgrade is probably best.

$1000 cables are a fine upgrade for a $100K system. It's unlikley that $1000 will be enough to improve anything else in that system.

$1000 cables for a $1000 system probably wouldn't be getting the best overall performance out of the system for the money spent (i.e, new speakers, a separate amp, out board DAC, new speakers, did I mention new speakers?).

As far as Monster being BMW, there are alot of high-end cable makers out there (MIT, Audioquest, Kimber, Tara) of comparable (perhaps even better) overall quality and performance per unit dollar.

Entry level Monster cable is probably more like a Camry or Civic. High end Monster (silver) is closer to BMW.

Lamp wire, coathangers, OEM supplied cables would fall in the Yugo-Hundai range. Perhaps even the Huffy bicycle/Toys-R-Us rollerblade range.

(Is that little more metaphorically accurate, Idisappear?)

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 21, 2000).]
Old 09-21-00, 06:50 AM

Same reason why Tylenol sells more pills than the generic brand. It pretty much has to do with brand marketing.

Would you rather scoping for chics in a Camaro Z28 or a Lamborgini Diablo? They both will hit 150MPH+, but you're gonna get more compliments on the Diablo.
Old 09-21-00, 09:51 AM

Haha..I like that rollerblade/bicycle comparison. Only that certain rollerblades/bicycle are made of exotic materials that could cost more than your speakers, easy.
Old 09-21-00, 08:26 PM

Personally, I agree with those of you state that if you spend so much money on good equipment, why not spend the extra $$ to get good cables as well? Your HT is only as good as the compatibility of your components and the quality of your connections. Without that, it is like buying an Armani tie, but wearing a K-mart tie with it.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-22-00, 07:56 AM

The subtle improvements made by using "audiophile" interconnects and speaker wires can be realized if:

a) the electronics are up to snuff
b) speakers are positioned properly
c) the ears know what to listen for

a) I wouldn't get involved in cables if the your HT system (5speakers, sub, receiver, dvd player) is under $2000. This is my opinion and is of course subject to debate.

b) Too many speakers are not positioned properly in stereo (often to no fault of the owners.) See others HTs at www.hometheaterforum.com and you'll find way too many speakers hiding in entertainment cabinets or shoved in a corners or the back wall. Improvements in soundstage width and depth offered by quality cables is unheard if speakers are placed wherever it's convenient. Tighter bass is useless if corner placement is going to muffle them up anyways. Now, I'm no room acoustics guru, but with even with basic speaker positioning, I benefit from using Tara Labs, Audioquest, and AlphaCore Goertz.

c) Golden ears are not biologically superior to non-believers. They just know what to listen for, that's all. I'm not a golden ear either, but I can discern a wider soundstage, a more effortless sound, tighter/more articulate bass, and more focused imaging (esp. vocals that seems to float in front of you between the speakers). True golden ears are far more discriminating; they will spend their weeknights strapped to their "sweet spot", complaining about cymbals that are too metallic, female voices that are "just a touch too sibilant", or cellos that sound too hollow (whatever that sounds like). Its all about how discriminating you want to be, and how critically you listen. I couldn't tell the difference between a $1 or $100 cigar for the life of me.

Oh yeah, it's MUCH easier to evaluate in stereo that in 5.1. Movies have way too much going on to hear the differences.

[This message has been edited by Lush (edited September 22, 2000).]