Reload this Page >

ABC Cancels All My Children AND One Life to Live

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-14-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

In a crushing blow to the daytime sudser genre, ABC announced today that it end yank All My Children and One Life to Life and replace them with two lifesyle shows. AMC will end in September and OLTL will end in January 2012 to make way for The Chew and The Revolution. In an announcement, ABC says “ these new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle — cornerstones of programming that resonates with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of The View.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/14/ab...l-my-children/
Old 04-14-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: ABC Cancels All My Children AND One Life to Live

Oh man.... My mom is gonna be pissssssssssssed
Old 04-14-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All hell is about to break loose.
Old 04-14-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised that they end yank both at once.
Old 04-14-11, 01:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

These were two separate shows?
Old 04-14-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Yeah.. don't know what the hell my Grandma is going to watch now. I'm surprised GH is left untouched. There's every little "hospital" left in that show.
Old 04-14-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

In an announcement, ABC says “ these new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle — cornerstones of programming that resonates with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of The View.”
In other words, they're much cheaper to produce.
Old 04-14-11, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The Chew? Seriously? I don't know who is going to host, but I guarantee that the jokes will write themselves.

Also, CBS already has that one View knock-off with Leah Remini and Mrs. Les Moonves. Do they really need two more?
Old 04-14-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Yeah.. don't know what the hell my Grandma is going to watch now. I'm surprised GH is left untouched. There's every little "hospital" left in that show.
Tell your granny to learn Spanish. The soaps on Univision and Telemundo are quite popular and will never go away.
Old 04-14-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So when can we expect the complete series DVD set?
Old 04-14-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
So when can we expect the complete series DVD set?
Wonder what a 2,000-disc set would cost...
Old 04-14-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

This should have happened a couple of years ago. The plotlines are tedious, the writing is pedestrian, and the acting quality has dropped dramatically over the past few years ...

Wait.

What I meant to say was, "Who still watches those girly shows anyway?"
Old 04-14-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't General Hospital release one of their seasons a few years ago? It cost like $400.
Old 04-14-11, 02:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Tell your granny to learn Spanish. The soaps on Univision and Telemundo are quite popular and will never go away.
I think those shows are even better if you don't understand what people are saying.
Old 04-14-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think those shows are even better if you don't understand what people are saying.
Just stare at the latin chicks with amazing hooters.
Old 04-14-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you get real close to the screen you can look right down their tops!
Old 04-14-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
These were two separate shows?
We watched these shows back-to-back one year in college.

Susan Haskell as Dr. Margaret "Marty" Saybrooke, the bad girl gone good, on One Life to Live.
Old 04-14-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
We watched these shows back-to-back one year in college.

Susan Haskell as Dr. Margaret "Marty" Saybrooke, the bad girl gone good, on One Life to Live.
Yeah, after she was gang-raped at a frat party.
Old 04-14-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Susan Lucci is still pretty hot for a 64 year old. She was hilarious when she guest starred on Hot in Cleveland recently.

Since she's been doing this show for about 40 years, I wonder if she will retire or try to audition for a weekly TV instead of 5 day a week show next season. I soap opera actors jump networks and shows like crazy.
Old 04-14-11, 04:40 PM

If people want to watch these "lifestyle" programs, they should just tune to the ABC sub-channel called the Live Well Network. These new replacement programs would be well-suited on that station.
Old 04-14-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

This is just the beginning of horrible shows hoping to replace Oprah's horrible show.
Old 04-14-11, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yeah, after she was gang-raped at a frat party.
LMAO -- 'Marty loves to party!!' .. My girlfriend watched this, but that storyline somehow hooked me .. I still break out that line whenever possible..
Old 04-14-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they should have tried making the shows once a week instead of once a day. Makes it easier to keep up with. Try it for a year to see what the ratings would be.
Old 04-14-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

There have been rumors for months now but I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. It's hard to believe that these two shows are being canceled. I guess I need to do a backstory on why I love the soaps so much.

When I was a little kid, I used to stay with my Gandmother while my Mom and Dad worked. No matter what was going on during the day, It would come to a complete halt at 1pm because "the stories" as she called them was coming on.

Every weekday afternoon it was All My Children, Another World and General Hospital. When AW was canceled, Grandma made the switch to One Life to Live. Even when I started getting older, during the summer months, I would come inside and watch "the stories" with Grandma. It was a time in which I look back with very fond memories. If she were alive today, she would be mad as heck right now.

My Mom had to be admitted to a nursing home in 2003 because of health problems. She is 78 years old. Every afternoon at 2:30 pm, I go and visit her and we watch the last 30 minutes of OLTL (She starts at one with AMC) and then General Hospital, just like Grandma and I did way back in the day. Her health is not good so I cherish every moment I have with her.

I know some may call me silly being a grown man watching the soaps be it reminds me of my carefree days of summer growing up as a kid. And it brings my Mom great joy for me to go see her everyday and spent time with her which includes watching the soaps. When I broke the news to her today, she was pissed to say the least. lol.

Part of my childhood and teenage days will always be tied to the soaps and part of my youth will go away for good when these two shows aren't around anymore.
Old 04-14-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
There have been rumors for months now but I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. It's hard to believe that these two shows are being canceled. I guess I need to do a backstory on why I love the soaps so much.

When I was a little kid, I used to stay with my Gandmother while my Mom and Dad worked. No matter what was going on during the day, It would come to a complete halt at 1pm because "the stories" as she called them was coming on.

Every weekday afternoon it was All My Children, Another World and General Hospital. When AW was canceled, Grandma made the switch to One Life to Live. Even when I started getting older, during the summer months, I would come inside and watch "the stories" with Grandma. It was a time in which I look back with very fond memories. If she were alive today, she would be mad as heck right now.

My Mom had to be admitted to a nursing home in 2003 because of health problems. She is 78 years old. Every afternoon at 2:30 pm, I go and visit her and we watch the last 30 minutes of OLTL (She starts at one with AMC) and then General Hospital, just like Grandma and I did way back in the day. Her health is not good so I cherish every moment I have with her.

I know some may call me silly being a grown man watching the soaps be it reminds me of my carefree days of summer growing up as a kid. And it brings my Mom great joy for me to go see her everyday and spent time with her which includes watching the soaps. When I broke the news to her today, she was pissed to say the least. lol.

Part of my childhood and teenage days will always be tied to the soaps and part of my youth will go away for good when these two shows aren't around anymore.
I admire your respect for the genre, so why on earth do you name yourself after one of the worst characters in daytime? He's a prime example of everything that has gone wrong in soaps.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.