Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Cecil B. DeMille Universal Collection 5 disc set under $7 NEW at Amazon Marketplace

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Cecil B. DeMille Universal Collection 5 disc set under $7 NEW at Amazon Marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCELLENT buy at Amazonmarketplace - several sellers have new copies of the five disc boxed set Cecil B. DeMille Collection (Cleopatra/ The Crusades/ Four Frightened People/ Sign of the Cross/ Union Pacific) for under $7.00! The set lists for $59.98 -Amazon's own current sell price of $20 would be a real bargain if not for these sellers. Of course quantities are undoubtably limited - better hurry if you want it! Three films star Claudette Colbert, one stars Loretta Young, one stars Barbara Stanwyck. The Colberts are especially recommended, quinessential DeMille.

(I was lucky enough to get this at slightly less than this price new when it first came out on Ebay from a seller who couldn't be bothered to even list the movies in the set so probably hardly anyone else saw it).
Old 04-13-11, 09:58 PM
FSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cecil B. DeMille Universal Collection 5 disc set under $7 NEW at Amazon Marketpla

Thanks. A good price.
Old 04-13-11, 10:16 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Cecil B. DeMille Universal Collection 5 disc set under $7 NEW at Amazon Marketpla

This was listed before a few weeks ago. Some of us received it with loose disks or other problems because the packaging isn't that good. Good deal otherwise.
Old 04-14-11, 09:58 AM

In for one - thanks 30s!
Old 04-14-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

anyone that undercuts so much from retail on media is a bootlegger without doubt. the lousy packaging and loose discs point in that direction. amazon marketplace is full of them - please do not encourage them just based on cost. i got gypped on Planet Earth the same way - the packaging was a dead giveaway and so were the badly printed disc covers and disc quality. there is a reason why these are so cheap. do not take it out on greedy studios by going this direction
Old 04-14-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
anyone that undercuts so much from retail on media is a bootlegger without doubt. the lousy packaging and loose discs point in that direction. amazon marketplace is full of them - please do not encourage them just based on cost. i got gypped on Planet Earth the same way - the packaging was a dead giveaway and so were the badly printed disc covers and disc quality. there is a reason why these are so cheap. do not take it out on greedy studios by going this direction
It's ridiculous to assume cheap prices=bootleg. It's more likely manufacturer overstock. There are hundreds of examples of cheap Marketplace prices because of overstock. I've purchased a number of them and received legitimate copies each time. In fact, I've never received a bootleg from the Marketplace. Seller ratings are your best friend.
Old 04-14-11, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
It's ridiculous to assume cheap prices=bootleg. It's more likely manufacturer overstock. There are hundreds of examples of cheap Marketplace prices because of overstock. I've purchased a number of them and received legitimate copies each time. In fact, I've never received a bootleg from the Marketplace. Seller ratings are your best friend.
That's right. Apparently, Universal has been clearling out some of their stock on a number of their classic collections and very low prices have been showing up for them. Also, while a bootlegger might produce look a like packaging for Planet Earth or Star Wars, no one is going to do that for 1930s black and white films from Cecil B. DeMille.
Old 04-14-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I bought a set. These aren't bootlegs. Just crappy packaging from a major corporation, & what's surprising about that?

For $7 this is a STEAL, but do expect to get loose & possibly BADLY scratched discs.

The folks I bought mine from (@ $10 or $11) sent me a second box & I was able to put together one fairly clean box buy combining the 2 sets.
Old 04-14-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 479 Posts

^I'd agree. I picked this up last summer for $14 from a mp dealer. A corner of the paperboard box was split but a bit of elmers glue fixed that problem. The disks were all OK. The packaging is typical of the "special packaging sells better" mindset. It's a shame that so much "special packaging" is so craptacular. I'm still pleased with the $14 I paid for this set. ~$7 is fantastic for these films!
Old 04-14-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

+$2.98 Shipping.

Minor quibble: Many thanks to the OP for alerting us to this deal. But, when posting, I wish folks would list the SHIPPED price total when there is no way to get around paying for shipping. It doesn't kill this still being a deal, but amidst the enthusiasm, it would be nice to see the complete total in the heading and/or original post.

I paid over $14 for this at Ross For Less, so I am cranky at the moment.
Old 04-16-11, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwstl
Absolutely agree! I've bought so many used DVD's on Amazon Marketplace with sellers ratings of 95% or better and NEVER had a problem with any of them!!!
Old 04-16-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Absolutely agree! I've bought so many used DVD's on Amazon Marketplace with sellers ratings of 95% or better and NEVER had a problem with any of them!!!
I've had a huge problem with used discs listed as very good & like new showing up scratched, but it has happened more on ebay than Amazon.
Old 04-16-11, 10:18 PM

For those who bit on this, have you had a problem with removing the piece of paper on the back the case? I generally just peel sheets like this off the back of these kinds of sets, but the adhesive was apparently too strong on this one and it began peeling off the finish of the case. So I've had to leave it on (and paste it down with tape). It's hard to complain given the price, but it's annoying enough that I'm trying to decide if it's worth pursuing a replacement. But if all (or many) of the sets have this problem there wouldn't be any point in it.
Old 04-16-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

all this while and no link ?
http://www.amazon.com/DeMille-Collec...dp/B000E8JO32/
Old 04-16-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the original deal is dead. Best marketplace price I see is $9.04 + shipping. Still a decent price, fo course, but not as great as the original deal...
Old 04-17-11, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I think the original deal is dead. Best marketplace price I see is $9.04 + shipping. Still a decent price, fo course, but not as great as the original deal...
When I started the thread there were four sellers with this set under $7 and a few more in the $7-9 range; it appears thesel sold out or raised their prices when their rival sellers sold theirs (a common occurance on marketplace) - the set was listed at around 14,000 on Amazon's dvd sales list and is now up to the top 2,000 (it did hit the top 1,000 on Friday) so it appears quite a few people bought this title in the last few days.

As you mention though $12.03 is still a great price for a five-disc boxed set.
Old 04-17-11, 04:51 AM

I saw this this weekend at an Oops! outlet (Birch Run, MI). The normal price was $15 but it was on sale for $10.
Old 04-17-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragged_Clown
For those who bit on this, have you had a problem with removing the piece of paper on the back the case? I generally just peel sheets like this off the back of these kinds of sets, but the adhesive was apparently too strong on this one and it began peeling off the finish of the case. So I've had to leave it on (and paste it down with tape). It's hard to complain given the price, but it's annoying enough that I'm trying to decide if it's worth pursuing a replacement. But if all (or many) of the sets have this problem there wouldn't be any point in it.
It's been a while but I do not remember having any difficulty. I checked my copy to see if I could re-determine the type of glue used. As the back paper shows no sign of residue I'm thinking it was not a dab of rubber cement type adhesive. That usually leaves a bit of oily residue behind. Both the case and back paper are very clean so it must have been that adhesive that hardens but can typically be removed with a bit of patience. My outer box has a slick surface - if yours does not that could have a bearing as well.
Old 04-17-11, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It's been a while but I do not remember having any difficulty. I checked my copy to see if I could re-determine the type of glue used. As the back paper shows no sign of residue I'm thinking it was not a dab of rubber cement type adhesive. That usually leaves a bit of oily residue behind. Both the case and back paper are very clean so it must have been that adhesive that hardens but can typically be removed with a bit of patience. My outer box has a slick surface - if yours does not that could have a bearing as well.
My box has the slick surface, but the adhesive (which was located only in the center, there was none at the corners) was strong enough that it could not be peeled off without taking the finish with it. I've had to tape the corners down and leave the paper on, which is a considerable eyesore. Of all the boxes and digipacks that I've bought with these slips pasted on over the years, the only other one I've ever had this problem with is that old MGM Ingmar Bergman set. But the seller I got this from doesn't have it listed anymore, so a replacement doesn't look to be a possibility anyway.