Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How can I use buy.com?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

How can I use buy.com?

Old 07-01-00, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this has been addressed fully elsewhere. Anyway, I have some reel coupons which can now be used at buy.com. I have friends in the states who I can ship DVDs to and they will then send them on to me. However, if I try to make an account at buy.com the billing address form allows only a US address. I made an account anyway using a friends address but with my CC details and bought something sub $10 using a reel trivia credit. Anyone know if they'll ship it?

I thought that webcertificate would be a way round this problem, but I can't seem to find a way to actually open an account at webcertificate!!

If anyone has any info on how to order from buy.com and how to get webcertificate working then I'd be grateful.
Old 07-01-00, 04:12 PM

Crumpetman

I have a few WebCertificate accounts...I could loan you one...

Only problems I could see are

(none of the account information could be changed... )
it wouldn't have your name on it...
(suppose you could ship it under your name and claim its a gift)

DM
Old 07-02-00, 06:30 AM

just send 'em all to me an tell me what you want. problem solved, next!
Old 07-02-00, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an account on Buy.com and so does my hubby. We use international credit cards and ship the stuff to his sister in NY. In the billing form, we just use the zip code and state of the shipping address, and our orders go through anyway. What's important is the street address and city, I think. Try putting in your UK numerical zip code (say 91000) and use the state that corresponds to it (in this case, California). If your card gets rejected, no harm done, use your Webcertificate then.
Old 07-02-00, 07:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I placed some orders with my English credit card and a US billing and shipping address. The order status shows "sent to warehouse" so I'm guessing that it's been authorized ok.
Old 07-07-00, 08:16 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wanted to thank you. I used my Dutch Mastercard, with my Dutch streetname in the address 1 field, 'Netherlands' in the address 2 field and the US State and Zipcode from the shipping address. Just got my shipping confirmation.

I can't believe it works! Saves me the hazzle of using my wife's US cc and sending in checks.

Happy
Old 07-07-00, 11:26 AM

I ended up putting my US friends address for both shipping and billing, but with my name and my credit card. It worked, everything (apart from pre orders) has shipped!
Old 07-07-00, 04:56 PM

Crumpet you might want to phone your CC company

everynow and then most of them spot check orders at random as a service to their members in hopes of stopping theft...

Just call and ask to add that friends US address and then it should be all nice and good ; )
Old 07-12-00, 10:34 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I called my CC-company and I can only have one billing address. The advised me calling Buy and telling them the 'US address is allright to use on my Dutch credit card'. Yeah right.

Anyway... As long as it works I'm a happy person since I'm not doing anything wrong.

-- Mark

PS. I tried the same trick at Half.com and that also seems to work... I got the first shipment confirmation and that e-mail stated that 'my cc will be charged within 24 hours'. I'll keep you updated (if anybody is interested anyway!)

[This message has been edited by exm (edited July 12, 2000).]