Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Some S-Video questions..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Some S-Video questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-00, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the process of looking for a 27" TV. My parents have a Sharp 27" MTX Stereo dbx(?) which they are willing to sell to me for cheap (around $300 cdn). I was going around the different shops browsing around and I am wondering what S-Video really is for? I know S-Video is used for almost everything coming out right now like DVD players, gaming systems, etc.. But I heard that I really shouldnt worry about having S-Video input on this tv that I might get from my parents since all come with a Video out (RCA) type connections.

I guess my main concern is, should I just take this tv from my parents and I will be fine as far as doing upgrades in the future? It only has (1) Video input, but I am worried that if I want to get a dvd player later in the future, that it wont be compatible or the quality between the S-Video and RCA will be huge.

What do you guys think? Since I know you guys know a thing or two about picture quality, upgrade in the future, etc.. I am for sure going to get a dvd player once/if I get this Sharp tv in my room, and possibly do a dreamcast/psx2 system too. I am really fairly new to this home video/audio thing.. So any help will be appreciated
Old 09-18-00, 01:16 AM

Svideo is a really good improvement from RCA-Composite... I would really go for a Svideo if you plan to watch DVDs. Its just not the same watching DVDs with a Composite connection.
Old 09-18-00, 01:24 AM

I keep hearing though on regular 27" TV's switching to an s-video will not make a dramatic difference. is this true?

Can't I possibly get one of those cables which will take the S-Video source from a dvd player/n64 and convert into (3) Male RCA's so that it hooks up to my TV? Will that make the differnce?

At first when I was shopping for tv's up here, I was making a big-deal about looking for a TV with S-Video input, but I have been doing some research on this board and asking others and it seems like most tell me to just buy this Sharp 27" from my parents for cheap, and I will for sure be happy with the RCA video/audio input it has (composite?)

what do you guys think?
Old 09-18-00, 02:15 AM

I would avoid getting a tv without s-video. Really there is a difference of night and day between rca comp and s-video. Even on a tiny tv you would notice it. With RCA you'll be seeing much more mudiness in the colors and all sorts of color bleeding. With s-video you pretty much get a fairly pristine looking picture with sharp definition on your tv (provided it isn't a behemoth projector). I've "only" got a 27" Sony myself and the difference is quite amazing.
Old 09-18-00, 02:39 AM

Yes I think I will probably look into buying a 27" with a S-Video input, now the question is. Should I try to look for a TV with a Component AND S-Video input, or should I just look for a tv with S-Video input or maybe a 2nd input?

BTW, anyone from the Ontario area whoc an recommend me some stores where I can find some good deals on TV's? So far I have been looking at Sears, and Futureshop.

And do you guys think I should wait till AFTER christmas to get myself a 27"? Since maybe some might be cheaper? When would be the best time to buy a tv?

I would try ordering one online, but I really would prefer to pick the tv up myself and inspect it before paying that much money.
Old 09-18-00, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Sony Wega 32" trinitron with component and S-Video. I noticed a HUGE difference with the component. I would highly recommend you use it. But you also must consider the cables you are using. You can't buy some crap $5 cabels to hook your stuff up. Cables are *VERY* important. I use Monster compnent cables, and I feel I get the best possible picture I can from my dvd player (Toshiba SD3109).
Old 09-18-00, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Although I respect Sir Pablo's opinion, IMHO there is a significant jump in video quality going from composite to S-Video but only a minor one going from S-Video to component. Another thing to consider is that if you get a TV with component inputs and you want to use them you also have to make sure you buy other components, e.g. DVD player, with component outputs. Also not many 27" TVs are going to have component inputs and those that do will be more expensive then those that don't. Depending on your budget and what other components you plan on buying I suggest you stay with S-Video inputs as your priority. I have my DVD, VCR (S-VHS), Satellite, Playstation and Dreamcast all hooked up via S-Video and it definitely makes a different. By the way I have a 27" Sony Trinitron TV.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-18-00, 12:55 PM

On a 27inch TV you will notice no difference between S-Video and Component Video. There is only a noticable difference on very large televisions especially rear projection. I recently bought a 27" Toshiba with component video imputs and tried both S-Video and Component video from my Dvd player and you can notice no difference at all. My Toshiba however was not expensive and only ran $350 online and it had free shipping at the time. SirPablo is right that it is important to have good cables. However do not buy Monster Cables as they are way overpriced and you can get the same thing at a local radio shack for more then half the price.
Old 09-18-00, 01:32 PM

Ok I am a bit confused know on what to look for a TV. I am looking for only a 27", but should I rather now focus on finding one which has S-Video? How many S-Video inputs should I look for? And is the future for upgrades going to the S-Video track or are more upgrades are aiming towards a Component setup (5 rca)?

I am just wondering wether S-Video is here to stay for long, or if it will be pushed away by component setups.
Old 09-18-00, 02:15 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by wa1had:
I am just wondering wether S-Video is here to stay for long, or if it will be pushed away by component setups.<HR>

That is anyone's guess right now although I think that component video will make S-Video obsolite since it just gives the best picture. If I were you, I would go the route I did. I bought a good Toshiba 27" tv that was affordable and had S-Video, Component Video, and Composite. This way you are safe until all tv is broadcast in HD.

Old 09-18-00, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by ZenDog:

That is anyone's guess right now although I think that component video will make S-Video obsolite since it just gives the best picture. If I were you, I would go the route I did. I bought a good Toshiba 27" tv that was affordable and had S-Video, Component Video, and Composite. This way you are safe until all tv is broadcast in HD.

Thanks everyone for clearing all the questions I am having so far.. I know this question may sound stupid.. but what is Composite since you mentioned it? Is that just the regular RCA (1) Video (2) Audio L/R??

I checked out the local Sears and Futureshops, all the 27" tv's I am looking at which has the S-Video/Component Video is about $579-$599.. Most are the JVC, Panasonic, and I think there was an RCA or Toshiba too.

Is there basically any brand of TV which I should CLEARLY stay away from? I know them Sears TV's arent probably high in quality

btw, I am living in Ontario and I checked everywhere up here and found $599-$550 was the price most stores are selling 27", dont even ask me how much they want for just a 25" Sony Wega... I watched one today and they were nice, but not NICE enough to pay an extra 500$ IMO
Old 09-18-00, 08:16 PM

Composite is the same as RCA (1 video 2 audio). I am not sure if the price ranges you saw were any good as I do not know the exchange rate from american to canadian dollars. When I shopped for my 27inch tv I found that the best direct-view tvs are made by Sony and Toshiba. You should be able to get a good 27inch Sony or Toshiba for about 400 American dollars in a retail store. It is not neccesarily bad to buy a tv from sears if you can get a good deal on a good brand, but they are generally more expensive. I don't know if there are Best Buys in Ontario but if there is I would try there for the best deal.
Old 09-19-00, 07:50 AM

I recently bought a new Phillips-magnavox 27" from bestbuy. I notice a huge diffrence between the RCA and the S-video. I could never use the RCA again after seeing the S-video from my Sony DVD. BTW, my new 27" only cost $299, and i think it was a great buy, seeing as cost/quality was my greatest concern. -Andy
Old 09-20-00, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stay away from the low-mid range Panasonics. Too much purity problems (techno lingo here)...

Stick with Sony, Toshiba... etc..