Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recordable DVD...when???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recordable DVD...when???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-00, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few months ago, I read some info on DVDREVIEW.COM that recordable DVD players were going to be intoduced in the USA (at a price of about $2500 to $3000) in late August. I've heard no word since then...anyone know if and when we can look for recordable DVD in the USA?
Old 09-13-00, 03:56 PM

They have one where I go to school (Rochester Institute of Technology), but I believe it cost several thousand dollars...
Old 09-13-00, 04:08 PM

My uncle in Hong Kong just recently purchased one for his movie retail business (a wise investment). He said that this one that he bought cost him $4500 US but it will pay for itself many times over once he starts selling his copied movies on the market. But for us here, the cost GREATLY outweighs the benefits just because the DVD recorder costs anywhere from $2K-$5K, and a blank DVD costs around $30. However, I strongly believe that these prices will go down considerably. Remember when the CD writers were $500 and a CD-R was $5?

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-13-00, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Pioneer has a player out in japan that will be here the end of the year in is a dvd-rw there is another format the panasonic has which is dvd-ram. The dvd-rw is backward compatble with most players dvd-ram is not. Right now two companies support dvd-ram and 28 support dvd-rw including sony and pioneer.

The product will start areoun 2k but is expected to be down to 1k by xmas 2001.

One problem is that it only records 2 channel.
Old 09-19-00, 07:13 PM

I'm not totally sure what your asking about. But check out this page from Panasonic. It is a DVD recorder. Hope it helps.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...d_recorder.htm
Old 09-19-00, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Orlando:
I'm not totally sure what your asking about. But check out this page from Panasonic. It is a DVD recorder. Hope it helps.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...d_recorder.htm
<HR>

I don't think that is what he was refering to. The Panasonic unit uses special DVD RAM discs which are not compatible with regular DVD players, plus it does not record 5.1 sound. It is intended mainly as a back up alternative to CD-R/CD-RW, as it has a higher capacity.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-20-00, 12:44 PM

But if you do have a HTPC, the Panasonic may be just the ticket.
Old 09-20-00, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Data capaticty of 1st generation DVD-RAM is not what DVD-R is however... you are unable in most cases of doing a direct digital copy of a single layer DVD-video disc to a DVD-RAM recorder.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...