Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Unreleased Director's and Unrated cuts

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-23-11, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a search but couldn't find an existing thread...

What films have a Director's Cut or Unrated Cut (excised nudity or violence) that has not made it to DVD yet? Curious to know.

Also, are there any films that were hacked by the studios that the Director has not yet even had an opportunity to create a Director's Cut?
Old 03-23-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Unreleased Director's and Unrated cuts

The Crow: City of Angels had an original Director's cut that was rejected. It was recut to fit closer to the storyline of the first film. A ppv version changed some scenes around, and then a "director's cut" came out on VHS that really only extended a few scenes. But it was not the original cut the Director wanted released.

Judge Dredd had an original longer cut, the last act was pretty much hacked away.
Old 03-23-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These aren't really director's cuts but

Two Minute Warning and Earthquake both had substantial footage shot for network airings that hasn't been released.

March or Die there is a much longer cut that hasn't been available.

Hawaii is another off the top of my head...
Old 03-23-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
The Crow: City of Angels had an original Director's cut that was rejected. It was recut to fit closer to the storyline of the first film. A ppv version changed some scenes around, and then a "director's cut" came out on VHS that really only extended a few scenes. But it was not the original cut the Director wanted released.
As well as Proyas' Director's cut of The Crow. Still want that bad boy.
Old 03-23-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
These aren't really director's cuts but

Two Minute Warning and Earthquake both had substantial footage shot for network airings that hasn't been released.

March or Die there is a much longer cut that hasn't been available.

Hawaii is another off the top of my head...
BLOODLINE (1979) aired in a much longer version on TV. So did SUPERMAN (1978). Don't know what happened to those cuts, which I'd like to see again.

Sam Peckinpah's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (1973) was butchered by the studio (MGM) before release. A different cut aired on TV, with scenes not in the theatrical cut. At some point (late 1980s? Early '90s?), a director's cut was shown in theaters and then came out on VHS. The TV cut has scenes not in any other version. I had it on tape but mistakenly taped over it. The director's cut was the best version, but the TV cut was pretty good, also.
Old 03-23-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Avengers lost anywhere between 1/2 hour and a full hour of footage prior to its release. The studio originally had it pegged for a June 14th, 1998 release date, but after some poor test screenings, they bumped it to mid-August, released it less theaters, and cut out of a ton of footage, much of which could be seen in the trailers, tv spots, and even the damn "Making of" special that aired on HBO. The novelization was written based on the original version of the film is pretty much a perfect glimpse of what the movie would originally looked like. The movie wasn't perfect by any means, but one of the big complaints was that it didn't make any sense, and that's because serious plot threads were just completely removed. At the very least, a longer cut would readd those plot threads.
Old 03-23-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Fast Times at Ridgemont High & Re-Animator are two that I remember that were substantially different films in their initial network TV airings due to the replacement footage. Though I think at least Re-Animotor has these TV scenes as bonus features. Would like to see a full cut of Fast Times someday though.
Old 03-23-11, 03:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

off the top of my head, there's:

- Hard Target - the workprint version featured alot of the violence that got cut for it's US R-rated theatrical version

- The Birdcage (expanded for TV, great previousily deleted footage reinstated, but the more R-rated scenes were trimmed for broadcast airing - would love to see a definitive cut with all the scenes get released on dvd/bluray)

- Lawnmower Man - expanded tv cut

- Needful Things - expanded tv cut

as for 'Fast Times', the film even lost footage per the request of the MPAA in order to receive it's R-rating.
Old 03-23-11, 05:35 PM
Banned

Maybe the best one of all THE GODFATHER novel for t.v.
Old 03-23-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Cooler had a Unrated cut on TV/PPV but not on DVD
Old 03-23-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Read once that Peter Hunt's original cut of On Her Majesty's Secret Service was close to 3 hours. 40 minutes cut.
Old 03-23-11, 06:40 PM

I'd love to see the director's cut of "Blair Witch 2".
Old 03-23-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The TV version of "The Goonies" runs about 7 minutes longer and there have been rumors for years that the original cut of the film was 200+ minutes... I would love to one day get my hands on that print...
Old 03-23-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Halloween 6 - bootlegs abound for this one, but I'm still surprised Dimension had been too lazy to milk the Michael Myer fans with an official release. I believe that Echo Bridge has this title now? Their no frills approach to budget releases makes an extended cut even less likely.

High Spirits- Neil Jordan's original edit was supposedly much different. The studio made drastic cuts to keep it a light comedy. His director's cut is probably sitting in a vault somewhere, but I'm sure there is little interest at MGM in revisiting the title. Maybe if they put out a BD they'll try to locate those missing elements, but I kinda doubt it. I'd buy it.

The Apple- Yeah, one of the worst movies ever, but it definitely has a cult audience. Recently, MGM provided the original (disasterous) test screening print to a theater for a midnight showing and it has been screened several times since. It featured several cut scenes including the wedding of the main characters who were now living as a bunch of dirty hippies in a cave somewhere - maybe the birth of their child as well. Plus, more bad musical numbers!
Old 03-23-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

House Of The Dead

Return of the Living Dead 3 (was released on VHS)

Return of the Living Dead

Almost all of the Friday the 13th movies

The Empire Strikes Back

Puppet Master

Pretty Baby

The Cannonball Run

The Twilight Zone Movie*

Those are just the ones that come to mind, I used to know of a lot of these...

Last edited by SterlingBen; 03-23-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Fast Times at Ridgemont High & Re-Animator are two that I remember that were substantially different films in their initial network TV airings due to the replacement footage. Though I think at least Re-Animotor has these TV scenes as bonus features. Would like to see a full cut of Fast Times someday though.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/52...-you-want.html
Old 03-23-11, 08:40 PM

The Brady Bunch Movie also had a ton of stuff added for the TV version, including a Maureen McCormick cameo. I'd love a special edition BD release, but with Paramount discontinuing so much of their catalog titles (including BD), let's just hope they get their heads out of their asses or start licensing their films to other labels.
Old 03-23-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Think they will go Burn on Demand like Warner?
Old 03-23-11, 10:19 PM

That would be a start, but I'd just be happy if they put more of their existing titles back in print. Still, I'd love to see them license films like Don't Look Now or The Tenant to Criterion for proper special editions.

But on topic: Superman Returns had that whole multi-million dollar "return to Krypton" sequence that still hasn't seen the light of day. Also, I'd love to see an extended cut of The Golden Compass with the original ending restored. I'm sure Warner doesn't see they point of reinstating a cliffhanger for a film that never got a sequel, but I'm sure most fan's of the book would want to see it.
Old 03-24-11, 09:03 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Supernova and Ransom both come to mind. I remember seeing the extended cut of Ransom on LD several years ago. I believe it reinstated 15 minutes or so (scenes felt redundant).
Old 03-24-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Nightbreed
Old 03-24-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
off the top of my head, there's:

- Hard Target - the workprint version featured alot of the violence that got cut for it's US R-rated theatrical version
I heard about a 3rd cut of the film that Van Damme made and submited to producers, and it featured A LOT more close up's of his face.
Old 03-24-11, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Nightbreed
This. I read that they finally located all the missing footage a while back, but Warner didn't feel the film even warranted a BD release.
Old 03-24-11, 09:33 PM

Sarafina! - the laserdisc version was the extended R-rated cut. The DVD the PG-13 theatrical version
Old 03-24-11, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
That would be a start, but I'd just be happy if they put more of their existing titles back in print. Still, I'd love to see them license films like Don't Look Now or The Tenant to Criterion for proper special editions.

But on topic: Superman Returns had that whole multi-million dollar "return to Krypton" sequence that still hasn't seen the light of day. Also, I'd love to see an extended cut of The Golden Compass with the original ending restored. I'm sure Warner doesn't see they point of reinstating a cliffhanger for a film that never got a sequel, but I'm sure most fan's of the book would want to see it.
in regards to The Golden Compass the studio basically took over editing reins and did it themselves, surprisingly director Chris Weitz doesn't speak at all about the cuts on his commentary track on the dvd/bluray.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.