DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Printing DVD covers

Old 03-21-11, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Printing DVD covers

Does anybody know of a company that will print the cover art for DVD's? I have tried doing it myself, except the small print on the reverse never seems to be very readable and getting the size exactly right is a challenge. I would like them to look professional, like they were original. Thanks!
Old 03-21-11, 08:07 AM

Re: Printing DVD covers

You will need to get a higher quality picture i.e. a high resolution picture of cover art that you want to print. Plus, you will need to buy glossy paper. If you print it on regular A4 paper, then it won't print it too good.
Old 03-21-11, 08:54 AM

I was able to find a few websites that have very high quality images and tried printing on high quality paper, but the result still didn't look great. That is why I was hoping there was a company that could do this kind of thing.
Old 03-21-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

You can try places like Kinko's and Staples, though you might run into problems with them not wanting to print out copyrighted material. A lot of it will depend on the who's working behind the counter.
Old 03-21-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21
You will need to get a higher quality picture i.e. a high resolution picture of cover art that you want to print. Plus, you will need to buy glossy paper. If you print it on regular A4 paper, then it won't print it too good.
Matte photo paper works well too. If you are sliding the cover behind the clear plastic of a dvd case, the matte looks shiny because of the plastic sheeting..
Old 03-21-11, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the best kind of paper to use for covers ? I'm looking for paper that as close to retail quailty as possible.
Old 03-21-11, 05:17 PM

What the hell are you guys doing to your existing covers that you need to reprint them? Oh wait....never mind.
Old 03-21-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
What the hell are you guys doing to your existing covers that you need to reprint them? Oh wait....never mind.
I like to print covers for two reasons:

1) To replace the craptacular photochopped covers studios put on movies. I am more of an original poster art kind of guy if I can get those covers.

2) To transfer TV season sets to slimmer cases to make more room in my collection for more DVDs.

What other reason would there be?
Old 03-25-11, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I have transferred most of my movies to slimpack cases and most inserts can easily be trimmed to fit. However, those damn cardboard crap-ass cases they used to put DVDs in is causing a problem. Plus, I bought a few movies as 2-packs and want to put them in their own cases, but never got an insert I can use.