Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

VHS on LCD TV and Newer vs Older DVD's

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-20-11, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do new or mint condition prerecorded VHS tapes look on a new 46" LCD television compared to on a 15 year old 4:3 CRT 36" television? Also, is there a big difference in viewing experience on an LCD television between DVD's that came out in the early 2000's vs newer versions that are restored or remastered? If you were to buy a movie to watch on a 46" LCD TV, which would be the best value? $1 for a mint condition VHS tape version, $5 for an early release DVD, or $10 a new remastered and restored version that's anamorphic and has other buzz words lol?
Old 03-20-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: VHS on LCD TV and Newer vs Older DVD's

Originally Posted by Vitaforce
How do new or mint condition prerecorded VHS tapes look on a new 46" LCD television compared to on a 15 year old 4:3 CRT 36" television?
like shit.
Old 03-20-11, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
like shit.
Thanks for the info. Is there a significant difference between older and newer (remastered and restored versions)?

Last edited by Vitaforce; 03-20-11 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every DVD is different. Early DVDs were non-anamorphic, so they should look worse than newer editions of the same film that are anamorphic. (which is not a buzzword, it refers to the actual resolution as stored on disc) But it really depends on what they did or didn't do when making the discs. You'd have to research movie by movie. Many times the later editions are no different for video quality, just changing extras, other times they are quite superior. Sometimes they were just re-released in a new box, no change at all.

Value for quality? ....Bluray.
Old 03-21-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of early DVDs were also just ports of LDs so the PQ was pretty bad. VHS looks even worse; I hooked up my JVC SVHS to my 58" Panny out of curiousity and I couldn't stand watching it.
Old 03-21-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitaforce
How do new or mint condition prerecorded VHS tapes look on a new 46" LCD television compared to on a 15 year old 4:3 CRT 36" television? Also, is there a big difference in viewing experience on an LCD television between DVD's that came out in the early 2000's vs newer versions that are restored or remastered? If you were to buy a movie to watch on a 46" LCD TV, which would be the best value? $1 for a mint condition VHS tape version, $5 for an early release DVD, or $10 a new remastered and restored version that's anamorphic and has other buzz words lol?
I keep a 13-inch CRT TV/VCR combo machine just to watch VHS tapes. Flatscreen TVs, like my 32-inch Sony Bravia (the largest size my living room can handle), are notoriously unforgiving to the VHS format. There are some VHS tapes that look great on the big set, though, but those are mostly Japanese pre-records from about 15-20 years ago, and usually of much older shows ('60s-'80s). And they're not subtitled. I teach a course on anime and a lot of the older titles I have are on VHS and I have to show them on a classroom projection system that isn't kind to the format. (And some of the clips are from things I taped off cable in the slow speed!)

As for DVDs of live-action films, I'm appalled at how badly some of the older ones look on my Sony Bravia. They looked better on the old 20-inch CRT TV that I had before the flatscreen. Facial features were generally much clearer on the old set. New anime DVDs tend to look the best on the big screen TV. Luckily, I have tons of those.
Old 03-21-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony Bravias do not have much in the way of a video processor, neither do most LCDs. That is part of the problem. Not that VHS would look "good" with a better processor.
Old 03-21-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

VHS and Beta look decent (meaning as watchable as they've ever been) on my LCD- I have them hooked through an upscaling receiver. I have a D-VHS player that upscales too, but I only use that for playing D-Theater tapes.

One of my friends had an older projection HDTV and it magnified the video noise on tapes, but that doesn't happen on my LCD.
Old 03-24-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I hooked my laserdisc player up and I was shocked how bad it looked. It used to be state of the art.
Old 04-03-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

VHS tapes transferred to dvd in then watched upscaled will look better than a tape ever did on an analog tv. I find tapes to be almost unwatchable played on a vcr with HDTV.
Old 04-06-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Not necessarily- I just transferred a bunch of someone's home movies, and playing back the DVDs I saw compression artifacts that weren't there when I watched them straight off the tapes.
Old 04-07-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It all depends on the processing. I know people think their TV is magic, but most of them really do have crappy processors, always have. And VCRs certainly don't have quality video output, beyond the JVC 9xx series.
Old 07-02-11, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Sony Bravias do not have much in the way of a video processor, neither do most LCDs. That is part of the problem. Not that VHS would look "good" with a better processor.
Because VHS tapes look fine on our 27" Sony Wega HDTV CRT, what technology does it have that is lacking in the Sony LCD TVs ?
Old 07-02-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

480 resolution mode. And CRT blacks.