Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got Japanese Die Hard 3...

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Just got Japanese Die Hard 3...

Old 07-05-00, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and the verdict is that this disk looks great!!!

It is Region 2 and NTSC. The transfer looks to be totally different from the R1 US release. This disk is anamorphic and looks very similar in color and detail to the other excellent Fox Japanese R2 DVDs I own(X-Files Movie, Speed, DH1 and DH2). The shimmer and horrible NTSC artifacts from the old R1 DVD and LD are totally gone! (In my opinion, DH3 R1 was one of the worst looking DVDs).. The picture is very smooth and film like on the new version.

The one thing I didn't expect was that the sound was redone as well. The old release(DVD and LD) was oversaturated a little and on the "bright" side in many places (this can be heard especially in the scene where Bruce Willis is talking on the phone about "The man going to St. Ives"). On this new disk the over saturation/distortion was totally gone and "brightness" tamed!

I had the original US Boxed set but I slowly replaced all three "weak" disks with the Japanese R2 Anamorphic versions and now I have a truely GREAT set of these classic movies that I wouldn't give up for anything

--mike

Old 07-05-00, 07:57 PM

Where do you order your Japanese versions from?
Old 07-06-00, 12:54 PM

I usually order from:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp http://www.laserexchange.com

cdjapan is the best... They are very fast. My order usually arrives in a week or less from Japan to Boston, MA USA...

--mike

Old 07-07-00, 01:44 PM

If you're in Region 1 and looking to buy these, I'd wait. Rumors are that Fox are going to re-release the Die Hard series as DTS titles this fall with anamorphic transfers.