Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Love 52 : "Exorcism" (Penultimate Episode) -- 3/13/11

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Big Love 52 : "Exorcism" (Penultimate Episode) -- 3/13/11

FYI : There will be a 30 minute special prior to this episode. One of those retrospective things with interviews. It's called "The End Of Days" and airs at 8:30 ET/PT.

Can't believe we're almost done with this show. In honor of Barb Hendrickson and Don Emery, I've got my bottle of wine and a couple Atavan ready to enjoy before watching this one.

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1162577"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Preview 52&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1162577%26filter%3Dbig-love%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1162577" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Preview 52&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1162577%26filter%3Dbig-love%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>
Old 03-13-11, 09:13 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Big Love 52 : "Exorcism" (Penultimate Episode) -- 3/13/11

Going out with a bang - literally..

Poor Salty.

Alby really has/had it in for Bill, and I can't believe Nikki thought it a good idea to send KaraLynn away.
Old 03-13-11, 10:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Damn Ben, you should have played the "My dad may go to prison for 20 years because of you" card, not the subtle "How about you two become sister-wives" card.

It seems like this is some lazy resolution to the Pam story and Cara-Lynn's teacher if they are done.
Old 03-13-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never watched the show. Has there ever been any nudity and/or lesbianism between the three wives? And I don't want to know about seeing Bill Paxton's wang either.
Old 03-13-11, 11:54 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've never watched the show. Has there ever been any nudity and/or lesbianism between the three wives? And I don't want to know about seeing Bill Paxton's wang either.
Outside of Bill Paxton's ass, very little nudity and no lesbianism.
Old 03-14-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

So, does anyone else think:

Spoiler:
Alby is wired with explosives? He's wearing a pretty bulky coat. I suppose it could be a bulletproof vest, but I'm thinking he's primed
Old 03-14-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Outside of Bill Paxton's ass, very little nudity and no lesbianism.
I could swear I remember Margene being topless in one of their sex scenes early on... Second season or so. But it's been years, so maybe it was just an unusually hot and heavy scene I am recalling.

Good episode, surprised they wrapped up Albie in the second to last though. Maybe the show ends with them both in jail, showing the reason they've had such intense feelings for each other were really misplaced and ending with... Well, you can guess.

How the hell does Albie get a gun into a state building this day and age? The look on Albies face in the gas station was priceless. I still don't get why we needed Nikki's daughters plot. So was the guy really a predator, or was it her typical lying BS?
Old 03-14-11, 12:23 AM

As the resident expert on all things Big Love, I'll take this one : Gennifer has never done any on-screen nudity. She's personally opposed to it. Chloe has done a couple of "tasteful nude scenes", but not much and not for a couple of seasons. Jeanne has worn a see-through nightie I think.

Best nudity of the show's run was a fleeting glance of a nude Amanda Seyfried getting out of bed last season.

Now, about this episode -- I liked it. You're right about the encounter with Albie; it was priceless. Don't know how they'll wrap everything up, but sending Bill off to jail would seem pretty unsatisfying, no?
Didn't buy Ben throwing the two wives thing around when trying to get Heather back. He's not an idiot, so he had to know that was a really dumb thing to say. Not that sleeping with Rhonda wasn't dumb in its own right, but still.
The whole Carolyn storyline was kinda off today. Guess the point was that she caused Nicki to re-evaluate her own self-worth. The resolution wasn't very satisfying.

BTW : The 30 minute special was pretty excellent and somewhat informative. I recommend catching it on Demand starting tomorrow for fans of the show.
Old 03-14-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

The 1st season had lots of sex and sexiness then they toned it way down. The only realy Sisterwife Lesbo we ever saw was a scene where, I believe it was 2 of Don's wives, were playing footsy at a card game.
Old 03-14-11, 12:44 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Im pretty sure in the first or second episode Bill went full frontal which I thought was pretty brave at the time since as I recall his cock was about small to average sized.

Anytime I see a regular sized guy bare it all I can't help but admire them. Not only are they breaking down barriers in the double standard found in today's society about male vs. female nudity but they are also showing that men with average equipment can be just as much of a sex symbol.

Here's to you Bill Paxton and other average sized celebs who have bared it all like Channing Tatum, Richard Gere and Josh Duhamel.
Old 03-14-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget Bruce Willis as well.
Old 03-14-11, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And that dude from SIDEWAYS.
Old 03-14-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And maybe Harvey Keitel in The Piano.

Anyway, anyone interested in watching this show for titillation should probably watch another show. That's not what this show is about. Besides, the women don't need to be nude to be beautiful.
Old 03-14-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
What does Paxton's Chinese butler have to do with this?
Old 03-14-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MikahC
And maybe Harvey Keitel in The Piano.

Anyway, anyone interested in watching this show for titillation should probably watch another show. That's not what this show is about. Besides, the women don't need to be nude to be beautiful.

Shut up.
Old 03-14-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Best nudity of the show's run was a fleeting glance of a nude Amanda Seyfried getting out of bed last season.
I think that award should go to Rachel Avery. And even Chloe's topless scene in season one was better than Seyfried's 0.5 second butt shot.
Old 03-14-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
So, does anyone else think:

Spoiler:
Alby is wired with explosives? He's wearing a pretty bulky coat. I suppose it could be a bulletproof vest, but I'm thinking he's primed
I thought that initially, but I doubt the last episode starts with Albie ready to blow himself up - but I could be wrong.
I thought it was odd for Bill to take his gun off his target when Albie is inches away from his own gun.

I figured some sort of drama would unfold in the hallways of the state building since an earlier episode ended with Bill hearing some footsteps there - which seems to be pointing in some sort of forshadowing. However, I expected something more dramatic than a very minor character (Salty) getting killed.

I thought Lois and Frank were gonna off themselves. Still one more episode left for it to happen I guess.
Old 03-14-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Big Love was at times the best show on television, but it has really slipped this year.

When you had Roman and the Greenes and Bill's brother and mother as prominent side characters the Hendrickson's seemed like the most normal family in the world. Now though with only Albie as the foil, they just come across as completely creepy much like the cult that the juice guy said that they were.

I feel so sorry for Margene that she is so starved for love and attention that she would continue in the relationship that she has. And how brainwashed and abused she really is

I liked the daughter's subplot it pointed out why a law like statuatory rape is important because neither Nikk's daughter nor Margene could understand at the time how manipulated and abused the both are/were and what lasting pain and emptiness it will create for the rest of their lives, contrasted against how Bill and the teacher justify it.
Old 03-15-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One other bit I forgot to mention yesterday... So I guess the show has totally written off Bill's brother? Awful, horrible way to end the show if they really were too lazy to put him in and yet can add Nikki's daughters entire plot line, or simply couldn't get the actor back. I mean you have the Henrickson's finally razing the UEB to the ground, the goal of their entire bloodlines since the Grant's took over, and the look of joy on Lois's face when told says how important it is to them. And yet his brother is never to be heard from again? WTF? In ten years, when I think back on this show, this season, and it's ending. That will be the one thing that sticks out at me and galls me to no end. Just a horrible mistake on the shows part to drop him for whatever reason. Of course, the show isn't handling the Henrickson's very well this season even if they do deign to write them in. I've been disappointed with how Lois and Frank are handled, even if the goal is to lead to Lois' death, which seems obvious due to the "three days" comment.
Old 03-15-11, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Enjoyed this episode, but just wanted to mention how creepy that zombie boarding school was!
Old 03-15-11, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Big Love was at times the best show on television, but it has really slipped this year.
I think the slip, which was quite a slip, happened last year.

Season 1 was great, season 2 even better and season 3 was nothing short of phenomenal.
Season 4 was just not very good at any point. This season is better, but still not up to the quality of the first 3.
Old 03-15-11, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that this season feels anticlimactic. Big Love was the best show airing in its early seasons, but I agree that the writing has slipped. While the show deftly juggled numerous storylines & kept introducing an amazing number of fascinating characters, it seems that they have been coasting. The whole Bill for Senator plot combined with the Barb For Priest plot just bogged down after awhile.

I don't know if they were running out of plausible plots to explore (as plausible as the bizarre scenarios would allow) or whether they had already decided to end the show's run at five seasons (thus accounting for a reluctance to go off in new directions), but it seems a good thing now that they're wrapping it up while it's still good. I'm hoping that the final episode will be a stunner.

We also noticed the absence of Joey. It'd be nice to see him (along with Sarah & Teeny) back for the finale.
Old 03-15-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

at Ben trying to pull that off.

at the look on Margene's face when they were discussing what 20+ years with Bill in jail would mean.
Old 03-15-11, 11:06 AM

I don't know how to Google search this stuff without looking like a perv, but I wonder what the real legal ramifications are in a situation like this regarding statutory rape. If Margene actually misrepresented her age on her Homes Plus job application (which makes no sense, but judging from the chronology of the story, had to be what happened) as well as to Bill and Barb personally as their baby-sitter, and admits to such in court, there really isn't a case for pressing statutory rape, even in a politically motivated case, is there? I know ignorance is no excuse, but if a 16 year old presents herself in official manner as an 18 year old and sexual relations occur some time later, that's hard to make a criminal case stick, isn't it?

Last edited by Decker; 03-15-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-15-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding that it doesn't matter whether she lies, it's still a case. However, doesn't someone have to press charges? Sure he could get fired, but I don't see how he could go to jail. In every TV show and movie I've seen, in actual cases of rape rape, if the woman doesn't want to press charges, the DA/Police can't do anything. Margene's parents are dead, she married Bill and wants to stay married... how the hell can they put him on trial? Does the state assume all responsibility in statutory cases?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.