Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How can i ship to America then to Australia

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

How can i ship to America then to Australia

Old 06-30-00, 12:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Ive got a bit of a problem. Ive been saving some jaboom GC and wanted to pick up something good (dvdplayer, amplifier, monitor) at amazon.com with them, but they dont ship electronics to Australia

My question is, what would be a good way around this? is there any places that i can ship to in America, who would then ship it to me. Im prepared to pay for all shippings costs etc.

I dont have any friends in America and im reluctant trusting just anyone off the net.

Thought there might be some people in these forums that can suggest something i could do.

Any help given is appreciated.

regards

------------------
"The worst performance of my career and they never doubted it for a second"

-- Ferris Bueller

[This message has been edited by TheFerris (edited June 29, 2000).]
Old 06-30-00, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TheFerris:
Hi guys,

Ive got a bit of a problem. Ive been saving some jaboom GC and wanted to pick up something good (dvdplayer, amplifier, monitor) at amazon.com with them, but they dont ship electronics to Australia

<HR>

Hi, you might get a better answer in the International forum but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

I really wouldn't recommend buying any of the items you mention from the US. Firstly your warranty will most likely be invalid or at best very difficult to claim so if something goes wrong then bye bye to your new purchase. Secondly, shipping something internationally will increase the chance of some form of breakage on the way particularly if you use cheap shipping. If you ship by some sort of deluxe courier then it will mostly negate the financial benefit from purchasing from the US in the first place. And finally, with regard to a dvd player you won't be able to play any PAL discs on it (or a best you might be able to play them in some flakey ntsc converted mode). In fact you won't be able to play any non R1 discs as I presume Amazon doesn't sell modified players. Even if you never plan to buy a non R1 disc I still think it's handy to be able to play rentals, play borrowed non R1 discs, or even buy the odd R2/R4 release which greatly outshines the R1 equivalent.

Having said all that, if you're still absolutely set on the idea then I reckon an amplifier is the best bet. Another possibility is to just buy cds/dvds/books from Amazon on the behalf of your friends/family and get them to pay you some agreed amount in cash. Then put this towards a purchase.

Goodluck!

Chris D
Old 06-30-00, 05:25 AM

You DO realize that US electronics run on 110V, 60Hz and not the 220-240V 50 Hz in OZ.........????

peace...
Old 06-30-00, 05:33 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by AussieBill:
You DO realize that US electronics run on 110V, 60Hz and not the 220-240V 50 Hz in OZ.........????

peace...
<HR>

You can just buy a power transformer from a Tandy's or Dick Smith store to correct this.
Thats what i did when i bought my R1 DVD player before dvd was released down here.

Old 06-30-00, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd sell the GCs to someone on the internet and have em cut you a check in OZ dollars.
Old 06-30-00, 02:07 PM

I would also recomend not getting such things via the US for the reasons Chris_D already pointed out. What I've bought via the US (exept DVD's of course) is a PalmV (ValueAmerica.com), a digital camera + memorycard (onvia.com) and that creative mp3 player (emusic.com).

None of the above sites actually sells to non-us adresses (so I had to send them to a friend in the US) and onvia has a hard time with non-us creditcards (but I have managed to get two orders trough so it's not impossible) - but don't think it's going to be entirely easy ordering electronics. eComerce companies in the us that sell electronics tend to think the US is "the world" and really can't imagine someone *really* considering ordering from them from a non-us country...

My advice is to get a few cool (and small) gadgets like a Palm (ie. the V, IIIc - NOT VII) (palm btw has the greatest guarantee - send it back with $100 and you get a new device if you break it - on top of a normal guarantee of course!) or a mp3 player and to buy your dvd player, amp and monitor closer to where you live...
Old 06-30-00, 02:37 PM

To clarify on the PAL thing; Australia is a PAL country, I believe, right? Well, PAL players are basically NTSC players with a few knobs on, so not only do they play PAL discs but they can usually do some kind of NTSC-to-PAL trickery. But, if you buy a player from an NTSC country like America, then (unless it's a specifically multi-format model) it won't have any kind of PAL modifications, so you wouldn't even have the option of a "fake PAL" mode. I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but you're best off getting a native player and getting it chipped.
Old 06-30-00, 04:36 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jabbadfatt:
You can just buy a power transformer from a Tandy's or Dick Smith store to correct this.
Thats what i did when i bought my R1 DVD player before dvd was released down here.

<HR>

Step-down transformers are quite cheap for low wattage units like CD or DVD players but you are talking mega bucks if you want to run a power hungry amp or receiver.

Old 06-30-00, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Moving to the International Forum

------------------
Richard