Old 03-08-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Lights Out -- "Infight" -- 3/08/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The training regimen Ed Romeo (Eamonn Walker) is imposing on Lights splits the Leary family: Theresa and the girls don't like its late-night hours, but they do like Ed. Johnny doesn't, and he's upset that Ed won't let Lights promote the Reynolds fight. For his part, Ed thinks that Lights' brother is "bleeding him dry."

Guest Stars:
Eamonn Walker (Oz, The Whole Truth)
Reiko Aylesworth (24)

Episode 9 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KRIVRfsVimc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-08-11, 04:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- "Infight" -- 3/08/11

whats the word on this show? I almost wouldn't mind a one and done deal, if done right.
Old 03-08-11, 04:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Really liked the addition of Eamonn Walker in last week's episode. ^ Given the ratings (not good), this show is likely done after this season.

Why this show struggles to land an audience baffles me.
Old 03-08-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
whats the word on this show? I almost wouldn't mind a one and done deal, if done right.
No word. It's almost a certainty this willl be 1 and done. The ratings are still under 1M per week.
Old 03-08-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I almost wouldn't mind a one and done deal, if done right.
Initially it seemed like the show might have a little more breadth, but it's been pretty focused on the rematch of late and I feel the same way.

While I expected the rematch to be the focus I don't think there's enough other things going on plot-wise to make this a strong multi-year show. That certainly could change but I don't see where they would go after the eventual rematch (injury? screwing up the money again? winning and dealing with retiring or continuing to fight?)

Still looking forward to the rest of this season though.
Old 03-08-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty good episode. I'm sad to see Ed Romeo go though. I mean, does Lights really not see that his family (Johnny in particular) are leeching off of him?

Johnny was actually showing signs up improvement earlier, but he's definitely back to his old self, which is a shame. At least the dad seems to care about Lights as a fighter, whereas Johnny and the sister, to a lesser extent, are just milking him so they don't have to do any real work.

Romeo definitely overreacted in the gym, but Lights should have just been upfront with him from the start. I don't think this show is going to have a happy ending, and I'm sure Johnny will be a big part of Lights's ultimate downfall. I definitely thought Romeo might kill Johnny there though; that scene was pretty intense. Sucks that Lights got stabbed in the process, and you just know that Johnny will come out of this clean and Romeo will get all of the blame.

Next week looks crazy.
Old 03-08-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Fucking Johnny -- what a dickbag!!

Very bummed that Ed Romeo isn't training Lights. I really can't see him winning with his old man back in the picture... but this is a tv show, so I'm sure he will
Old 03-08-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edited for people who don't watch the last two minutes of their shows.

Last edited by thelwig14; 03-09-11 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-08-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might want to spoiler that, since it was on the preview and not on tonight's episode.
Old 03-09-11, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I'm sorry, but I no longer care for Lights and if he wins or not. His word doesn't seem to mean shit and he's just as bad as Johnny is in a passive aggressive way. Lies to his family, lies to Ed Romeo, lies to himself. At first, there was sympathy, but it's not there anymore. Hard to watch a show now where you don't care about the main character.
Old 03-09-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm sorry, but I no longer care for Lights and if he wins or not. His word doesn't seem to mean shit and he's just as bad as Johnny is in a passive aggressive way. Lies to his family, lies to Ed Romeo, lies to himself. At first, there was sympathy, but it's not there anymore. Hard to watch a show now where you don't care about the main character.
I take it you don't watch Weeds? lol
Old 03-09-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

That stabbing was just retarded nonsense - took me right out of the show.

And yeah, him leaving Romeo was also bullshit - didn't make much logical sense.
Old 03-09-11, 09:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Agreed. Stabbing was lame -- as was Lights' decision to leave Ed. Otherwise, a decent episode
Old 03-09-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
That stabbing was just retarded nonsense - took me right out of the show.

And yeah, him leaving Romeo was also bullshit - didn't make much logical sense.
Yeah, likewise.

It was a good episode until the last 10 minutes. Leaving Romeo really doesn't make sense at all considering they keep hammering us with the "he's in the best shape of his life" stuff.

I can't wait for next week's episode though. Street fight ala Rocky 5, I'm in.
Old 03-09-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Leaving Romeo really doesn't make sense at all considering they keep hammering us with the "he's in the best shape of his life" stuff.
It makes some sense, romeo was making him choose between him & family (more specifically johnny). He loves his brother more than he loves his trainer, not exactly an idea that stretches the imagination.
Old 03-09-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The pussy couldn't give up his brother for 6 weeks? He deserves to get destroyed by Deathrow. Hopefully the season ends with Lights being a retarded vegetable.
Old 03-09-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99
It makes some sense, romeo was making him choose between him & family (more specifically johnny). He loves his brother more than he loves his trainer, not exactly an idea that stretches the imagination.
Like Sven said, it was for 6 weeks. Lots of fighters train away from their families. If Johnny wasn't such a jackass and leech it wouldn't be as big of a stretch. The writing makes Lights looks like a complete moron.

At this point I hope Reynolds knocks him out in the 1st round, or better yet "retires" like he said in the promo and leaves Lights without any money.
Old 03-09-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
It makes some sense, romeo was making him choose between him & family (more specifically johnny).
Romeo laid down the rules when Lights went up and begged to be trained and he agreed. Romeo tells him how heartbroken he was when Deathrow fired him and shows him the scars from an attempted suicide. And now Lights wants to renege and it's ok? That's pretty dick to me. He should have said to Romeo that it wasn't going to work out after first coming up to visit the family, not down the line stringing him along. This blood is thicker than water shit that they keep flipping on isn't holding up. Lights already fired Johnny once. Why should any of that shit matter now? It should just be win the fight, take the purse and then retire and sort the rest out.
Old 03-09-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

The stabbing at the end was . Loved the Romeo character and don't understand Lights' loyalty to Johnny, given that he already fired him once.
Old 03-09-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was really hoping they'd explore more of that fact that Romeo desires Lights to cut out his family more for him rather than for the betterment of training. It seemed clear that Romeo is sill pained by what Deathrow did to him. I took that as Ed wanting to install over-the-top strict rules (Patrick couldn't even do a 2 hour promotion) on Lights in order to keep him loyal to him rather than the need to help him stay focused on the fight. If anything, I thought Lights' excuse to end his relationship with Romeo would stem from Patrick's desire to see Ed get help with his own problems, not about Patricks' love for his family.

I thought the addition of Romeo took the show to an even more interesting level, so I'm disappointed to see him leave (I'm guessing, didn't watch the preview for next week).

Thought the ending felt very "24"-like, where a last minute shock is meant to create yet another obstacle for the character. Didn't like it. Felt cheap.

Still love the show. How much more till the finale?
Old 03-09-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just noticed that episode was called "Infight". My program guide had "Inflight" and I was trying to figure out how in the hell they came up with that episode name.

The stabbing was a bit silly, but I guess they needed it for another storyline?

I wonder if they are setting this up for Lights to really want Romeo back in a few weeks when he realizes how much better off he was in his training or if his brother continues his screwups (and hopefully Romeo will say no). I fear they will use the injury and maybe the daughter as a sympathy play to bring the Romeo character back later on in the show.

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I thought the addition of Romeo took the show to an even more interesting level, so I'm disappointed to see him leave (I'm guessing, didn't watch the preview for next week).
They seemed to spend more time developing the other characters early on and recently it seems likes it's mostly Lights and Romeo carrying the show... I thought the writers did a good job getting the audience invested in Romeo with his interactions with Lights and his family, and it brought a new dynamic. If he's gone, it seems like a step back.
Old 03-10-11, 02:56 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really love this show and I hope it gets renewed. As a huge boxing fan, so many things just feel right. This was another great episode, though they foreshadowed Romeo getting the axe early on. Has Lights made one good decision yet?
Old 03-10-11, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I swear that wife gets uglier and uglier every week.
Old 03-10-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
I swear that wife gets uglier and uglier every week.
She used to be pretty back when she was Mrs. Braveheart.
Old 03-10-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I hope Romeo trains Deathrow and kicks Lights' ass.

PS - is Deathrow even training? Besides some weak laps in his pool they don't show him working hard at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.