Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) — Palm d'Or winner

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) — Palm d'Or winner

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) - Palme d'Or 2010

What the fuck did I just watch? possibly one of the strangest, most alluring, mystical films I have ever seen. The last 20 minutes are utterly baffling, yet seem to make more sense the longer they linger here in my thoughts after the film. I can see why there was an uproar when Burton and his lackeys announced this as the big winner at Cannes.
Old 08-02-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) - Palme d'Or 20

^how did you see it? I posted about it in the international talk, cause after reading the plot synopsis on wiki, i somehow have to get a hold of it, as it does look very strange and fucked up
Old 08-02-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) - Palme d'Or 20

It was a very very late confirmation to the Wellington international film festival in New Zealand. When I read they extended the festival for a day just to squeeze in two screenings, I had to get in.
Old 03-06-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The film centers on the last days in the life of its title character. Together with his loved ones – including the ghost of his dead wife and his lost son who has returned in a non-human form – Boonmee explores his past lives as he contemplates the reasons for his illness. In its review, Variety describes plot twists such as "apparitions, out-of-body experiences, [and] sex with a catfish...."

Trailer:

<hr>

Seeing this tonight.
Old 03-06-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) — Palm d'Or win

It's fantastic, you're in for a treat.
Old 03-06-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010) — Palm d'Or win

Really, really interesting but it lost some steam in the middle. The dinner scene was one of the more memorable ones in any movie of the last few years.

"You grew your hair out"
Old 03-08-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait to see this march 28 at the afi silver in dc
Old 03-08-11, 01:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Can't wait to see this march 28 at the afi silver in dc
I'm hoping it's a 35mm print, the digital projection I saw at last November's Viriginia Film Festival really did not look that great.
Old 03-08-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I personally preferred the Grand Prix winner "Of Gods and Men" (Xavier Beauvois, France) but I still thouroughly enjoyed "Uncle Boonmee...". Interesting to note that while both films, using vastly different approaches, explore religious/spiritual themes, they are essentially films about the human condition. Odd that neither film made the final cut at the Oscars. Well... perhaps not that odd since one is probably too touchy, and the other too bizarre/surreal for Academy members.
Old 03-08-11, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, after watching Syndromes and a Century, I thoroughly did not enjoy this guy's pace and aesthetic. I found him precious, slow, and annoying as a filmmaker

Is that film comparable to this one? Meaning: If I didn't like Syndromes and a Century will I not like this one?
Old 03-08-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I personally preferred the Grand Prix winner "Of Gods and Men" (Xavier Beauvois, France) but I still thouroughly enjoyed "Uncle Boonmee...". Interesting to note that while both films, using vastly different approaches, explore religious/spiritual themes, they are essentially films about the human condition. Odd that neither film made the final cut at the Oscars. Well... perhaps not that odd since one is probably too touchy, and the other too bizarre/surreal for Academy members.
Some how Dogtooth got nominated (and i hear that one is def out there
Old 03-09-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
So, after watching Syndromes and a Century, I thoroughly did not enjoy this guy's pace and aesthetic. I found him precious, slow, and annoying as a filmmaker

Is that film comparable to this one? Meaning: If I didn't like Syndromes and a Century will I not like this one?
It's a bit slow, and I'm someone who likes slow.
Old 03-09-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Some how Dogtooth got nominated (and i hear that one is def out there
I guess you're right. Maybe the Academy can stomach one weird/controversial film per year.