Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so I'm looking to pick up some Blu-Ray Imports now that I have bought a Region Free Blu-Ray player. The only site I know of that imports is Amazon.co.uk but I rather find a site that does everything in US $Dollars/Money$.

Here are the ones I'm looking for...........

Night of the Living Dead(Optimum)
Dawn of the Dead(Arrow)
Day of the Dead(Arrow)
Diary of the Dead (Optimum)
Descent Part 2
American The Bill Hicks Story
Evil Dead(Sony)
Army of Darkness(Optimum)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre(Second Sight)
Suspiria (Nouveaux)
Old 03-06-11, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Amazon UK usually gives me the option of checking out in USD as long as there is no preorder involved, in which case they only use GBP because the exchange rate can change. I find it convenient that they charge me in USD as my CC company likes to throw in a fee. You probably aren't going to find a cheaper option than Amazon UK. On the final checkout page, look under "Order Summary" and there is a "Switch Currency" button.
Old 03-06-11, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Amazon UK usually gives me the option of checking out in USD as long as there is no preorder involved, in which case they only use GBP because the exchange rate can change. I find it convenient that they charge me in USD as my CC company likes to throw in a fee. You probably aren't going to find a cheaper option than Amazon UK. On the final checkout page, look under "Order Summary" and there is a "Switch Currency" button.
Have you by any chance compared Amazon.uk's USD/GBP conversion rate against the conversion rates on, say, XE or Oanda and verified that they did not bury a 2-3% surcharge in theirs?

Also, I have had some credit-card companies (e.g., Citi, Chase) levying their "international transaction" fees even though the transaction was in USD due to the "foreign base-location" of the retailer store-front in question (e.g., AbeBooks was considered Canadian regardless of the actual location of the bookseller involved). I think this is illegal but it's a pain to argue the case with the CC companies.

Last edited by cine; 03-06-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cine
Have you by any chance compared Amazon.uk's USD/GBP conversion rate against the conversion rates on, say, XE or Oanda and verified that they did not bury a 2-3% surcharge in theirs?
They do include a surcharge, which is why I never opt to have Amazon UK do the conversion for me.
Old 03-06-11, 07:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I guess from what you're saying is that's it's best not to let Amazon do the conversion, I didn't know that.
Old 03-07-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cine

Also, I have had some credit-card companies (e.g., Citi, Chase) levying their "international transaction" fees even though the transaction was in USD due to the "foreign base-location" of the retailer store-front in question (e.g., AbeBooks was considered Canadian regardless of the actual location of the bookseller involved). I think this is illegal but it's a pain to argue the case with the CC companies.
I see what you mean. Amazon's exchange rate right now is 1.687 and XE's is 1.625. I am not sure if the exchange rate my CC company uses matches XE since I've never bothered to do the math. My CC company has never levied an "international transaction" fee against me but I concede your point that if they did, it would be pointless to try to avoid the conversion fee. I still think Amazon UK is going to be his best option for those titles. I'd be interested in a cheaper alternative myself.
Old 03-07-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon UK is generally the best for UK titles.

As for the conversion fee, I have found my Australia banks charging me pretty much the same as Amazon for the conversion, but the US banks may be more generous.
Old 03-07-11, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TNAJason
Okay so I'm looking to pick up some Blu-Ray Imports now that I have bought a Region Free Blu-Ray player. The only site I know of that imports is Amazon.co.uk but I rather find a site that does everything in US $Dollars/Money$.

Here are the ones I'm looking for...........

Night of the Living Dead(Optimum)
Dawn of the Dead(Arrow)
Day of the Dead(Arrow)
Diary of the Dead (Optimum)
Descent Part 2
American The Bill Hicks Story
Evil Dead(Sony)
Army of Darkness(Optimum)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre(Second Sight)
Suspiria (Nouveaux)
What region free player do you have ? It does the PAL to NTSC conversion by it's self ?
Old 03-07-11, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I kind of thought all region free players have PAL-NTSC conversion. Hence region free.
Old 03-07-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not all. Some players (like Sony or Panasonic, depending on models) cannot convert PAL to NTSC or the other way, and only output the signal as is.
Old 03-08-11, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I kind of thought all region free players have PAL-NTSC conversion. Hence region free.
there's no PAL / NTSC issue with HD; conversion is only needed to deal with extras on discs (in SD) and with DVDs that the player might have to handle.

as for currency rates, you'll never find two sites easily comparable, whether retailer, exchange rate sites like XE, or credit card services. not worth splitting hairs over fractions of a percent. best all-round UK sites for non-UK buyers is amazon; can find better prices often if you live in the UK, but not if you're outside Europe altogether.