Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LA Folks: Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair at the New Bev!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-01-11, 02:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/162249

Last week of March, tickets on sale now. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair exclusively at the New Bev. Got my tickets for April 2nd at 7 PM. According to the site, this is the print that screened at Cannes.

Shows are selling out fast, so I recommend buying if you're interested.
Old 03-01-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: LA Folks: Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair at the New Bev!

Fuck New Bev selling tickets online. It kills the fun of going down and getting in line with fans. All the Sun. shows are already sold out.
Old 03-01-11, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

You still get to go stand in line while they dick around and not let people in on time.
Old 03-01-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered my tickets for the 1st. With these and the announcement of the Waltz-starring spaghetti western, I'm one giddy Tarantino fanboy.
Old 03-01-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You still get to go stand in line while they dick around and not let people in on time.
I'm not driving up an hour from OC to get jerked off. It should be as it always has - if you wanna see the movie, get your ass to the theater and wait in line.
Old 03-01-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm not driving up an hour from OC to get jerked off. It should be as it always has - if you wanna see the movie, get your ass to the theater and wait in line.
Isn't this logic backwards? By buying online you're guaranteed a seat and thereby eliminating the (unwanted) "jerking off". If you drive up without a ticket, there's no guarantee you'll get there on time.
Old 03-01-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

This is the first time I've heard of this. How is it different from KILL BILL Volumes 1 & 2? Will there be new footage? Significant re-editing? Will it come to New York?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

So, the fabled cut does exist.
Old 03-01-11, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Yeah, I'm not complaining, since I get out of work an hour before the show.
Old 03-01-11, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
This is the first time I've heard of this. How is it different from KILL BILL Volumes 1 & 2? Will there be new footage? Significant re-editing? Will it come to New York?

Thanks.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ieres-march-27

Don't know if it will come to NY any time soon. Tarantino bailed out the New Beverly from bankruptcy, so he has a vested interest in making sure it gets exclusive content.
Old 03-01-11, 05:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I tried to convince my wife that we should fly to LA for this and go to the show on the 30th (my birthday... which I don't care about! GRR! ), but she didn't like that idea.
Old 03-01-11, 05:42 PM
Banned by request

You could come a few days early and go to a midnight screening of The Room on the 25th or 26th.
Old 03-01-11, 05:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

#*&$*@ !!!
booking flight now.
Old 03-01-11, 05:49 PM
Banned by request

Old 03-01-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sheesh. I'm in L.A. but my work schedule (in the TV business) doesn't allow me to plan that far in advance. I wish they'd just put the thing on a disc so I can buy it already.
Old 03-02-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

ARGH! I'm out of the states and won't be back until the end of April! I've missed Metropolis last year. Then Fantasia at the El Cap. Now this!
Old 03-02-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sold out.

Old 03-02-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I would have liked to go, but I'm out of town during the play date.

I wonder if he showed up for the Aero screening of Reservoir Dogs? I know they're screening Tron (supposedly a 70mm print) with Lisberger and Harlan Ellenshaw in attendance this Saturday.
Old 03-02-11, 01:50 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Thanks.
It's the combined version. Featuring the Asian cut of Vol. 1 combined with Vol. 2. The tag and cliffhanger has been removed from vol. 1 and so has the opening of vol. 2 (the bride in the car) In other words the last scene of Vol. 1 is the bride's speech to Sofie, "they'll all soon be as dead..." the screen goes black and then it continues with chapter 6.

This is turn makes it flow as one complete movie. I have the region 2 DVDs and have been watching them this way for years. Really is an incredible experience.
Old 03-02-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by sidewinder572
It's the combined version. Featuring the Asian cut of Vol. 1 combined with Vol. 2. The tag and cliffhanger has been removed from vol. 1 and so has the opening of vol. 2 (the bride in the car) In other words the last scene of Vol. 1 is the bride's speech to Sofie, "they'll all soon be as dead..." the screen goes black and then it continues with chapter 6.

This is turn makes it flow as one complete movie. I have the region 2 DVDs and have been watching them this way for years. Really is an incredible experience.
It has been extensively confirmed that "The Whole Bloody Affair" is more than the two movies connected. Several sites have reported on an extensive anime sequence that has been added, and it's entirely possible there are other small editing tweaks.
Old 03-02-11, 03:56 PM
Cool New Member

http://newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm scroll down it says Cannes version. Also here is Empire's review

Although the Croisette was crawling with press this year, few seemed to notice the wording on the final day's screening schedule: "Integrale Kill Bill." Perhaps they were bored of QT after 11 days of him, or perhaps they couldn't face four hours indoors, but it seems there were few journalists there to see him introduce the first screening ever, ever, ever of the full, run-on Kill Bill. Dressed in jeans and a black Kill Bill T-shirt that didn't do much for his beer-belly, QT looked tanned and relaxed as he took the stage, bowing to a standing ovation. With simultaneous translation from festival head Thierry Fremaux, Tarantino explained that this was not simply one volume after another but the full deal, featuring the Asian cut of Volume One, with a few trims, and the standard Volume Two (minus the ''roaring rampage of revenge'' driving sequence used in the trailer). This version, he revealed, will go out in a roadshow version in a year's time, with a five-minute intermission - with music from the film - acting as a cigarette break for the restless.

To be honest, with the festival re-screening all its movies, Empire planned only on staying for the first half, to see what all the fuss was about. Surprisingly, and even though the full cut isn't that much different, we wound up staying for the whole thing. And it was, to be honest, a revelation. The film we had misgivings about as two halves plays brilliantly as a whole movie, giving more depth to The Bride and balancing out the action sequences with the slower, character-led scenes. Given the entire timeline, it also establishes the chain of events, bringing home the sense that the DiVAS (Deadly Viper Assassination Squad) have drifted apart during The Bride's four-year coma.

Most crucially, the full KB places proper emphasis on the controversial Superman speech at the end of Volume Two. As well as being a wry joke at his own expense (The Bride is forced to listen to Bill's rambling theory while waiting for his truth serum to hit), it perfectly crystallises the key theme of the movie. Here, Tarantino pulls the rug, revealing that the woman we feel so much empathy for is nothing a but a stone-cold killer, passing for human in the same way Superman poses as Clark Kent. The Bride is Bill's equal and much more, which is why only one can survive, because the other can't be trusted. In one sitting, her respect for Bill becomes more distinct: Vernita Green, O-Ren Ishii, Elle Driver and Budd bring down the red fog of fury (signalled by bursts of the Ironside theme), but Bill himself gets a smile, even in the prelude to the final showdown.

So now we come to the stuff you really want to know. Well, surprisingly, there's not too much difference. Although it still begins with the subtitle Vol. One, the Klingon proverb is gone, replaced by a dedication to Kinji Fukasaku. Unsurprisingly, all the major differences occur in this half, which, as you might expect, is a pretty sick ride. The Vernita Green fight is slightly different (no gore) and the anime sequence is more explicit in the details of O-Ren's revenge killing, but the biggest difference, of course, is the House Of Blue Leaves battle. No longer in coy B&W, with close-up amputations and throat-slitting, the scene now plays like a berserk mix of 1960s TV Batman and Monty Python circa Holy Grail. The effect is quite surreal, more explicitly funny, and softens up the audience for the return of Gordon Liu - the mentalist Green Hornet figure -as the cruel martial arts guru Pai Mei. It also paves the way for Volume One's true ending. Not the cliffhanger about the baby, (that mercifully has gone, seeing as Vol 1''s desire to end on an unecessary ''oooh'' moment, only served to spoil Vol 2''s big twist ending), but the full wrath of The Bride coming down on Sofie Fatale, who winds up with a 50 per cent limb deficit in full, blood-on-the-lens technicolour.

The Bride's speech to Fatale is sure to go down as a twisted QT classic. "I want you to tell him all the information you just told me," she screams. "I want him to know what I know. I want him to know I want him to know. And I want them all to know they''ll all soon be as dead as O-Ren." Which is where Tarantino's particular genius comes into play. Like True Romance or Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill plays with the concept of pop culture ciphers having real lives, and it truly is the trash-movie epic he promised. Vernita Green has married a doctor, Budd cleans toilets in a strip bar and when the vile Pai Mei blinds her, Elle Driver simply poisons his dinner. It's a film that rides wave after wave of action and bathos, which paves the way for its (anti)climax and makes more sense in one sitting, piling up tropes and cliche's from every grindhouse flick imaginable. Indeed, although everyone suddenly became a grindhouse expert after Vol. One, few seemed to remember that even the most violent B-movie has its dull-arse moments of daft exposition.

In two parts, the film seemed like a cash-in, and the fact that QT diehards will pay up to five times (including DVD releases) for the privilege of seeing it didn't help. But as one whole movie, you get the sense that Tarantino was testing the water. In one go, it would have seemed patchy and self-indulgent and most likely would have tanked. This way, though, QT introduced us to one half, then the other, warming us up to the prospect of the full, four-hour monty. In one go, there's no longer the shock of the new, or the misleading expectation that QT has something mind-blowing up his sleeve. These characters come alive on the screen, especially Thurman's Bride, and stay in the brain, so much so that, even after four hours, you might be tempted to stay in your seat and see it again.

Time will be kind to Kill Bill, that's for sure, and given time to breathe, and without the weight of hype, it will reveal itself as the film Tarantino intended it to be. It may even, dare we say it, be his best film. But history will be the judge of that.

(5 stars)
REVIEWED BY DAMON WISE
Old 04-03-11, 03:35 PM
Banned by request

Saw this last night. This isn't just the same cut as what was shown at Cannes--it's the same print that was shown at Cannes. It's got burned in French subtitles.

Almost all of the changes were to part 1. More gore, the House of Blue Leaves was all in color, and it cuts out Bill's revelation of BB.

I hadn't seen either film in a while, certainly not since Inglorious Basterds came out, and I think the two-film version is stronger than The Whole Bloody Affair. For one thing, knowing BB is still alive at the end of part one makes the events of part two have more urgency. For another, splitting it in two (not just with an intermission) makes the rambling nature of both parts more acceptable. Watching it as one piece, it felt way too long. Especially by the end, when you get to the flashback of her finding out she's pregnant and having a showdown with Karen the assassin, it just dragged.

Also, prior to seeing this, I thought of the Kill Bill movies as among my favorite Tarantino flicks, but watching it this time, I didn't feel like I got anything new out of it, so my estimation has dropped a bit. It's still a fucking rad film, but I wouldn't call it a favorite anymore.
Old 04-03-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this last night. This isn't just the same cut as what was shown at Cannes--it's the same print that was shown at Cannes. It's got burned in French subtitles.
What was the vibe of the crowd like at the showing? I wanted to be there as much for the atmosphere as the film itself.
Old 04-03-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I hadn't seen either film in a while, certainly not since Inglorious Basterds came out, and I think the two-film version is stronger than The Whole Bloody Affair. For one thing, knowing BB is still alive at the end of part one makes the events of part two have more urgency. For another, splitting it in two (not just with an intermission) makes the rambling nature of both parts more acceptable. Watching it as one piece, it felt way too long. Especially by the end, when you get to the flashback of her finding out she's pregnant and having a showdown with Karen the assassin, it just dragged.
One thing that might work for you in re-appreciating the movie (At least, it did for me) is to watch it in chronological order. There's more invested in the Bill/Beatrix relationship if you watch it this way:

-DaMoe sequence (Deleted scene)
-Legend of Pai Mei
-Massacre at Two Pines
-Opening scene of Volume 1
-Blood Splattered Bride
-Showdown/Leaves
...And so on...

You really get to see both Bill & Bea evolve in a unique way if you watch the entire film in non-chapter form. The payoff definetly delivers harder than one would expect. Give it a shot.
Old 04-03-11, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
What was the vibe of the crowd like at the showing? I wanted to be there as much for the atmosphere as the film itself.
Kind of subdued. There was applause for Sally Menke's name and Tarantino's. Other than that, quiet and respectful, with laughter where appropriate.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
One thing that might work for you in re-appreciating the movie (At least, it did for me) is to watch it in chronological order. There's more invested in the Bill/Beatrix relationship if you watch it this way:

-DaMoe sequence (Deleted scene)
-Legend of Pai Mei
-Massacre at Two Pines
-Opening scene of Volume 1
-Blood Splattered Bride
-Showdown/Leaves
...And so on...

You really get to see both Bill & Bea evolve in a unique way if you watch the entire film in non-chapter form. The payoff definetly delivers harder than one would expect. Give it a shot.
Ah, hmm. Interesting. I might give that a shot one day, but if Tarantino intended the movie to be watched chronologically, he would have ordered it chronologically.