20% off and FS @ secondspin for orders > $20

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 07:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
20% off and FS @ secondspin for orders > $20

www.secondspin.com

they used to have a pretty good selection, but over the past year or so it's been more hit than miss
Old 02-27-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 20% off and FS @ secondspin for orders > $20

Last week I put in 2 orders with the Buy 3 get 1 Free deal.
and this weekend I did 2 orders with the 20% off Free shipping.

I just receved my first order from last week, one of which is Croupier and it's in FULL screen, even though they are showing the newer Widescreen version on their site ?????

Then I ordered The Salton Sea and it's a former Rental with xeroxed artwork
and the disc is pretty beat up ....Not for nothing .....but what really crawls up my you know what is, if I tried to sell them this same copy they would turn it down.
I am going to return the Croupier and hopefully they can send me the right version ,I guess I will keep Sea and hope it plays.

I do think overall you can get some pretty decent deals with these guys and they do sometimes have a pretty decent selection. Half the stuff I buy from them I could never find at Newbury Comics and even they are selling Rental copies.

But still Second spin should warn you upfront when you are purchasing a rental copy.
Old 02-27-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They recently wrote to me in response to a question I posed about an item, saying that they do not have the resources to pay staff to check their used items. What they put for sale is what you get, no questions asked or answered, thus you deal with them at your own risk.
Old 02-27-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They certainly DO check their used items. I've had damaged discs rejected before.
Old 02-27-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
They certainly DO check their used items. I've had damaged discs rejected before.
Yea ,so did I !

It was a DVD that I bought from them,and then I sold it back to them and they told me it was too scratched up ?......I complained and they gave me a very small % off.
They should have refunded me the original price they charged me, as a sign of good faith.
Old 02-28-11, 01:08 AM

If you do get the wrong item, you can e-mail Second Spin and they will make things right. That has happened to me on a few occasions, and they were happy to send me a replacement (if available) or give me store credit.
Old 02-28-11, 08:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have placed 3 orders in the past 2 months and every order has had at least one floater all scratched up. The dvd is sealed and the outside box is perfect, so I think whoever checks the purchased dvds in doesn't always snap them back into place properly. I emailed Secondspin about the problem and was just given a blow off answer which amounted to "too bad".
Old 02-28-11, 08:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
Yea ,so did I !

It was a DVD that I bought from them,and then I sold it back to them and they told me it was too scratched up ?......I complained and they gave me a very small % off.
They should have refunded me the original price they charged me, as a sign of good faith.
That happened all the time with me for FYE and Gamestop. I would buy something used from them and never even open the box and after a year of sitting, I would realize that I will never get to the game or movie and go trade it right back in only to be told it is scratched up and either rejected or the scam where they have to give you a lower price because of the scratches. Spun.com was horrible as well. They would always reject the most expensive thing on every trade in and keep the item unless you paid them to send it back. They rejected a factory sealed dvd once as scratched up.
Old 02-28-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the dude from SS who wrote me should have said was that they have the resources to pay staff to check their used discs, but not to offer any information about it when THEY sell it.
Old 02-28-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had bought quite a few things from them and I got 1 bootleg, 1 scratched up DVD and two scratched up CDs. They gave me membership credit and I got to keep the discs. Good enough CS if you ask me.
Old 03-01-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I understand it appears that SecondSpin is under new ownership - as of August 2010. I might be wrong, but the parcel one receives now comes from the same address as DeepDiscount.com
Old 03-01-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
From what I understand it appears that SecondSpin is under new ownership - as of August 2010. I might be wrong, but the parcel one receives now comes from the same address as DeepDiscount.com
I believe it's DeepDiscount that is under new ownership. They were sold back in November.

And as far as I know, Second Spin is till owned by Trans World Entertainment, the parent company of FYE.

Last edited by jwstl; 03-01-11 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 04:09 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Any time I've ever had an issue with a scratched disc they've ALWAYS sent me a replacement no charge, and have not required me to send back the damaged one.
Old 03-01-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads-up. Pulled the trigger on a couple of titles.
Old 03-01-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they quickly responded to my email and will send me a Widescreen version,
I returned the Full Screen (at their cost).
They do respond well to emails, but I still think they should be upfront with selling Rental copies.
Old 03-01-11, 06:35 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe deepdiscount only fulfills some orders for them, but doesn't own them.
Old 03-01-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received another shipment from them today and out of 4 DVD's 2 of them are former Blockbuster rentals.
One of the cases has a nice big slice thru it and it goes right through the artwork!

A big letdown from what I have experienced in the last 2 years , sure sometimes there are a few scratches on the discs ,but lately it seems rampant and I have now received 3 former rentals discs in the last 2 orders from second spin.
In the last 3 years of ordering from them I would put them in my Top 2 of internet sites I order from, and I have never before received former rentals discs.

So my question is, are Second Spin and Newbury Comics having problems buying used DVD's from regular customers,who are becoming shrewd and selling their stuff on Ebay/I-offer...etc., so that these internet sites have resorted to buying from retailers that have gone belly up?

Also if you check on Amazon market place there seems to be an influx of rentals.
Old 03-01-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped ordering from SS a few months ago after noticing a drop in the quality of discs received.
Old 03-01-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
I stopped ordering from SS a few months ago after noticing a drop in the quality of discs received.
I think this is the end for me also, I have Prime and I'll just wait for price drops.

It's not worth it at this point,going through the effort of mailing back discs and the fact that one of the discs was $6.99, I think that's pretty ballsy to charge that much considering there is a machete like gash through the case and artwork.
Old 03-01-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just looked at their selling rules and this is what it states:

# We do not purchase “bootleg” CDs, CDRs or overseas Region coded or previously RENTAL DVDs or Games.
# Orders sent in violation of these policies may be rejected in their entirety

If they don't accept RENTAL DVDs then why are they selling them to me?
Old 03-01-11, 10:28 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They don't get everything from customers. They buy overstock like big lots and hamilton books. And they must be buying rentals from Blockbuster and movie gallery as those are folding. Its a business there to make money opportunistically.
Old 03-01-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by g
They don't get everything from customers. They buy overstock like big lots and hamilton books. And they must be buying rentals from Blockbuster and movie gallery as those are folding. Its a business there to make money opportunistically.
I understand that ,maybe what they are saying is that they don't know whether a customer legally purchased a Rental disc?
Maybe the customer did not return it to the rental store and then tried selling off to SS?

Anyway I shot off another email to SS asking to return both of these discs
for a refund.
Old 03-02-11, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It´s a disgrace they are selling previously viewed Blockbuster rentals.

- The artwork is different.
- The keepcase is different.
- The contents of the disc rarely has the extras that the official retail disc has.

I suggest everyone to shot them a mail and complain if you recieve any former rental disc.