Old 02-22-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Lights Out -- "Crossroads" -- 2/22/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Lights keeps losing weight as the Morales fight nears, and Johnny thinks that their dad is overtraining him. The eye injury he suffered while sparring hasn't healed completely, either. And at home, Daniella, "the good girl," gets in trouble at school. Lights asks Theresa to be in his corner for the fight, and he gets unsolicited support from an unlikely corner: "Death Row" Reynolds (Billy Brown). "We've got this 'thing'," he tells Lights.

Episode 7 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJtrXDx4K0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by DJariya; 02-25-11 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- "Crossroads" -- 2/22/11

What a fantastic episode. I really didn't think we'd get to the Morales fight as soon as we did, but I'm glad they didn't save it for the finale.

I really like what they've done with Johnny. He was a real scumbag at the start, but it's nice to see him stick by his brother even though they had hit a rough patch. I really liked him sticking up for Lights in the gym and being there for him in the locker room. Hopefully he wasn't involved in any of the underhanded dealings between Barry and Brennan...

So I think it's pretty clear the Morales fight was fixed. I think Pops knows it too. I think I saw it being fixed coming, but was hoping Lights would actually win the fight on his own. Pops is definitely right, it would be smarter to do more fights, but I can see why Lights is so eager to get back in there with Reynolds; he's definitely overconfident now, and I hate to see him being irresponsible.

Glad the daughter told her aunt, she shouldn't have to shoulder that burden on her own. Will be interesting to see how she handles the knowledge.

The previews look great. Can't wait to see what the rest of the season has in store for us.

---

I don't follow boxing, but if anyone here does, would a boxer get disqualified for hitting the other boxer after the bell when their back was turned? It seems like that would be an instant disqualification, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-22-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kstublen

---

I don't follow boxing, but if anyone here does, would a boxer get disqualified for hitting the other boxer after the bell when their back was turned? It seems like that would be an instant disqualification, but I'm not sure.
I enjoyed the episode, but from a boxing standpoint, it was pretty brutal. The main problems were:
1. Florida's licensing tests would be more serious (they have a decent commission)
2. No fighter on the planet would ever not have his own representative to watch the other guy get taped
3. Headbutt, Golota combo, and a rabbit punch after the bell...he would have been disqualified immediately.

I really like the show, but it is an epic failure when the enters the ring or cage.

I wish they would put more focus on Johnny and Lights and bring the sister in more as well.
Old 02-23-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Good episode other than the fight action, which was laughable and totally unbelievable. Probably the only low point in a season that has been outstanding so far.
Old 02-23-11, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ignored the boxing details (or lack of attention to it), but I like the potential storylines being setup with the father realizing Lights is not ready and am interested to see where that heads (and did El Diablo take a dive or was it simply the low blow that allowed Lights to KO him?).

I also liked how Lights has completely lost perspective as a fighter in terms of the ability to judge his own performance and how it contrasts with how he felt about Omar getting a title shot early in the show.

The wife needs to pick an accent and stick with it, her accent really seemed to slip out when she was yellng "Come on Patrick" during the KO scene (either that or audition for a role on Sons of Anarchy)
Old 02-23-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This was by far the worst episode of the season IMO. The fight was so totally fixed it was embarassing --- and if it wasn't fixed then it was the worst boxing action I've ever seen. I was hoping to see an epic bout with Lights having issues with his vision and cutting weight. Instead we get less than two rounds of low blows and head butts.

And quite honestly, why would Lights' dad care if he fought 5 more times or just went right to the Reynolds fight? He's 40 and he needs to get paid -- THAT is the end game... he's not trying to have a 10 year long career as champ.
Old 02-23-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 725 Likes on 530 Posts

@ the 2nd round KO. From the looks of the fight, at first I thought it was like the 5th or 6th round.
Old 02-23-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
@ the 2nd round KO. From the looks of the fight, at first I thought it was like the 5th or 6th round.
My thoughts exactly. The way his hands were hanging down near his waist, I assumed it was much later and he was just exhausted, unable to hold them up any longer. But 1st/2nd round, that just made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Old 02-23-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wirefan
The wife needs to pick an accent and stick with it, her accent really seemed to slip out when she was yellng "Come on Patrick" during the KO scene (either that or audition for a role on Sons of Anarchy)
The daughter mentioned her grandparents being in England, so I don't think it's a matter of picking one accent or the other, I think she might just be talking normally and some words end up sounding more British than others.
Old 02-23-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the episode, but I'm agreement with the rest of you. The boxing match was awful. The 2nd round KO with him looking exhausted is either horrible writing or they're trying to hit the viewer over the head with the Dad's point. Lights isn't ready to fight a good boxer.
Old 02-23-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Loved how El Diablo was smoking a cigarette and holding a machete at the weigh-in.

Yeah, the fight was a disappointment.
Old 02-24-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually hoping they were going to intertwine the fight with his normal life. They showed him shaking hands in the ring to start the show then went to normal training. I was expecting to see bits of the rounds mixed in with him trying to get by in normal life. The whole match seemed so contrived and rushed.
Old 02-24-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also liked the episode... they just need a fight choreographer that isn't totally clueless. And I thought the MMA fight was unbelievable in terms of every mistake known to man; that fight looked A+ compared to this boxing match mess.
Old 02-24-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I enjoyed the episode, but from a boxing standpoint, it was pretty brutal. The main problems were:
1. Florida's licensing tests would be more serious (they have a decent commission)
2. No fighter on the planet would ever not have his own representative to watch the other guy get taped
3. Headbutt, Golota combo, and a rabbit punch after the bell...he would have been disqualified immediately.

I really like the show, but it is an epic failure when the enters the ring or cage.

I wish they would put more focus on Johnny and Lights and bring the sister in more as well.
I kind of thought that's the direction they were going to go. Lights getting his ass beat, but winning by DQ would still set him up to meet reynolds, but with lots of questions skill & health risks. At least they can still move that direction with pops questioning the fight.
Old 02-24-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The fight choreography is so poor it's hard to tell if El Diablo threw the fight.

How do you fuck up the boxing on a boxing show?
Old 02-24-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am kinda happy that i don't know for sure what went on. On one hand i wouldn't believe someone with El Diablo's ego would take a dive for any amount. Then i thought i saw someone outside the ring giving him the "high sign" to do it this round. Then Lights hits him with the opening low blow and goes in, so he might have won legitimately.
Old 02-25-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
The fight choreography is so poor it's hard to tell if El Diablo threw the fight.

I'm wondering after seeing a scene with him jogging + the sparring/boxing stuff, if maybe he just isn't a terribly athletic guy. Some people just don't have it, and I'd imagine it's tough to fake it. The scenes in the ring he just moves so slow, like he's having to think it all out.
Old 02-25-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, because every boxing movie gets boxing right.
Old 02-25-11, 07:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I thought the fight was OK... I mean, Lights punched him right in the happysack, and that's what started his downfall.
Old 02-25-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
Yeah, because every boxing movie gets boxing right.
Maybe not "right" from a technical standpoint, but they at least make it interesting. This was neither.
Old 02-25-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Totally agree. I hope this is addressed and not "solved" by the dad forcing Lights to take more matches.