Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

F.Y.E. should be ashamed

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

F.Y.E. should be ashamed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F.Y.E. should be ashamed

Haven't been to the local F.Y.E. for over a year, so I thought I'd stop by and check it out. Wow, just wow. Granted they had a large blu-ray section, but the "used" prices were an absolute joke. Don't know how they justify charging a minimum of $16.99 for used blu-rays. Made sense in 2009, not 2011. And the used DVD prices weren't much better. As a fan/collector, makes me really appreciate all the other deals out there.
Old 02-18-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: F.Y.E. should be ashamed

True, on the whole f.y.e.'s prices are pretty outrageous, but there are still a few good finds to be found. Your Mileage May Greatly Vary, however.
Old 02-18-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

It's just shocking that so many of their stores are shutting down.
Old 02-18-11, 11:44 PM

Well, I also can't be a hypocrite. They did have Buy 1 used DVD & get the 2nd half off. I picked up The Wild & Valiant on DVD for my little boy. Overall, it was just a big disappointment

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
True, on the whole f.y.e.'s prices are pretty outrageous, but there are still a few good finds to be found. Your Mileage May Greatly Vary, however.
Old 02-19-11, 10:29 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FYE, Borders, B&N and Blockbuster will all be out one day soon. Charging full MSRP business model doesn't work anymore when most people now realize how much better online prices(or Kiosk) are. Also way better selection online. I will miss browsing a book store or wandering the aisles in Blockbuster, but I won't miss paying $4.99 for a rental when I can get it for $1 or less in multiple other places.
Old 02-20-11, 11:48 PM

I don't think the $1 rental prices will be around when the competition's gone....
Old 02-21-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by yellahoosh
I don't think the $1 rental prices will be around when the competition's gone....
Their biggest competitor, piracy, will always be around.
Old 02-21-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have rarely been in a store that charges cheap prices for used DVDs/Blu-Rays.
Old 02-21-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by yellahoosh
Redbox has been under a lot of pressure in the past to raise their prices. Once Blockbuster goes belly up you can guarantee they will raise their prices.
Old 02-21-11, 01:18 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Redbox has been under a lot of pressure in the past to raise their prices. Once Blockbuster goes belly up you can guarantee they will raise their prices.
Or maybe not...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20032749-17.html

No mention of a Redbox DVD direct mail program but it would be cool to get a disc in the mail and be able to return it to a kiosk and then select a new movie on the spot in addition to having a online queue. That would truly keep Netflix in check.
Old 02-21-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I can imagine that Redbox will do a subscription based like Netflix at some point.. and then you can get a certain number from a kiosk per month or something...
Old 02-21-11, 03:24 PM

Redbox mail based sub service would be great especially since Netflix seems to be trying to go more toward digital only.
Old 02-21-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To be fair FYE is looking to grab the customer to needs that "quick fix" like last minute gift, or someone who must have it on release day and/or doesn't want to wait for shipping.

They have way too much overhead to get away with charging Amazon's pricing, and unlike big box stores like Best Buy, they can't make up the defecit on electronics.
Old 02-21-11, 09:33 PM

That's too bad. It is a fun store to browse, and I wouldn't even mind if their prices were just a little high. I could justify that. Guess I've just been spoiled by online prices.

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
To be fair FYE is looking to grab the customer to needs that "quick fix" like last minute gift, or someone who must have it on release day and/or doesn't want to wait for shipping.

They have way too much overhead to get away with charging Amazon's pricing, and unlike big box stores like Best Buy, they can't make up the defecit on electronics.
Old 02-22-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth O
That's too bad. It is a fun store to browse, and I wouldn't even mind if their prices were just a little high. I could justify that. Guess I've just been spoiled by online prices.
I think a lot of us feel that way. If retail prices were at a 10-15% premium over Amazon, et al., I don't think you'd see nearly as much b*tching around here. But when you can't even beat Amazon's prices with a 50% off coupon in hand, something is definitely wrong, and the spate of store closings bears this out.
Old 02-22-11, 08:29 AM

FYE is a joke. I used to work there, and it was amazing at what people would pay on a new release or something that was old in either case could get it way cheaper somewhere else. If someone complained about the price, and usually they did, i sent them to where i'd buy it. I had a discount there but even that wasn't enough to make me wanna shop there except for used items, and usually then i could find a price cheaper somewhere else. I can't wait for that store to go out of business. when that happens maybe i'll stop in and reap on the discounts offered on their last remaining days. I did that to a local blockbuster that was closing, for like 50$ i got like 10 blus. It was awesome.
Old 02-24-11, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darth O
Haven't been to the local F.Y.E. for over a year, so I thought I'd stop by and check it out. Wow, just wow. Granted they had a large blu-ray section, but the "used" prices were an absolute joke. Don't know how they justify charging a minimum of $16.99 for used blu-rays. Made sense in 2009, not 2011.
FYI,in that the current wave of store closings,used BluRay titles were taken out of the stores before final discounts went into effect.(40% or 50% off,I forget which)and redistributed to other stores.The circle of life continues at TransWorld's everyday high,high prices.
Old 02-26-11, 12:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I have rarely been in a store that charges cheap prices for used DVDs/Blu-Rays.
I have.Its called the local pawn shop..$2.00 each,granted most of the time the selection is crap,but still..
Old 02-26-11, 12:34 AM
Suspended

Every time I set foot in FYE,I completely ignore new and focus only on used.
Once picked up a Japanese region 3 DVD of PFM Live in Tokyo 2002 for $3,several Hong Kong titles on the Universe label for a buck fifty each.
Than there was the time I found a small stack of Marillion fan club only releases for 25 cents each
Old 02-27-11, 01:44 AM

As far as FYE is concerned, I agree with the sentiments that if the prices were even marginally higher than Amazon, I would be happy to buy more there because I enjoy the browsing. I also agree that in general, their pricing is laughable in today's world. However, every time I go I always find a gem (usually in the used DVDs) that's priced fair. Plus, when they have their buy 2 used get one free deal, you can score some great titles at good prices if you shop carefully (helps to have an iphone at hand for quick amazon price checks). Recently, I scored a used copy of the Bluray book edition of 300 (in like new condition). It beat out the lowest used price on Amazon. Also, sometimes they have cool sales on things that are overstocked, like The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection for 13.99.

I was bummed when the closest Suncoast to me finally closed. I didn't buy much from there, I just really enjoyed looking, and discovering awesome box sets I didn't even know existed (then turning around and ordering it from amazon for half the price, lol). Point is, I don't want to see these little brick and mortars go under, as I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. It's just not as fun sitting at home shopping at Amazon.

As far as pawn shops...hell YES. If you haven't been, please go. That's where the real bargains can be had. I have one near my house that sells 5.00 blurays. And DVDs are 2.00, or 6 for 10.

Last thing, I predict the second coming of the mom 'n pops to fill the void.
Old 02-27-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
Or maybe not...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20032749-17.html

No mention of a Redbox DVD direct mail program but it would be cool to get a disc in the mail and be able to return it to a kiosk and then select a new movie on the spot in addition to having a online queue. That would truly keep Netflix in check.
Blockbuster has this service, if you can still find one that hasn't closed
Old 02-28-11, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by whotony
Blockbuster has this service, if you can still find one that hasn't closed
I only have 1 Blockbuster left within 10 miles and about 20 Redbox locations in that same 10 miles. I used to use that service with Blockbuster, but I hated to get hassled in the store to buy candy or any of the other up sell items they were pushing.
Old 03-11-11, 01:51 PM

The most useful and superiorly stacke and stocked FYE shut down 3 years +, outta Gotham, right up from Radio City Music's Hall. I would cop (Right after work) silly copies of Out of Production, highly valued DVD's, over and over again! The manager there hated me, cause he knew what I was in for, and after. He would threaten to ban me, if he caught me taking pics of certain titles that I was curious as to if they were valuable, I didn't have internet services on my phone back then, but this Joker would order some incredible titles, and i would just take my precious time picking them all up, time after trip, and this maniac would actually follow me to the counter and glare at me, if I would of caught him on the subway or streets walking, i probably would of done a job on him, but I'm glad I just went home, and marveled at the stuff I done managed to accumulate, I actually picked up, when it was going for sick coinage, "The World's Greatest Animation" DVD, original snapper case for like a sawbuck! I'm so sorry to see that joint, just out of nowhere close up for permanent! Definitely a sign of many more shutterings, Sad! Damn Sad!