Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quick question for all sports gamers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question for all sports gamers

'Ello all

Last year I picked up Madden 10 and MLB10 The Show. I like them both, but suck at them, but that is not the point.

I'm finally getting around to playing them more, and the 2011 versions are out now. How many gamers buy the updated version of the same game every year? I'm also refering to the NBA and NHL, or any other sporting game. I have no intention of getting the 2011 versions, but as I get better and look towards online play, I don't want to be standing in an online room, looking for a game saying, "Where is everyone?"

I hope I was clear enough
Old 02-16-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Re: Quick question for all sports gamers

I try to buy it every other year for NBA and NFL, unless there's a killer deal. What you can do is wait for the price drop... these inevitably drop in price like a stone, even if you just wait a month or so.
Old 02-16-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if there will even be a Madden game this year, or if it will be delayed. If the players vote to decertify the union, I believe that means that EA won't have the rights to the players' names/likenesses unless they were to negotiate with each one on an individual basis (not going to happen). I imagine they may go ahead with development, then wait until the lockout is over to release it. Or, maybe it would have generic rosters and they would provide the real rosters for download when they can.
Old 02-16-11, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Braddok
'Ello all

Last year I picked up Madden 10 and MLB10 The Show. I like them both, but suck at them, but that is not the point.

I'm finally getting around to playing them more, and the 2011 versions are out now. How many gamers buy the updated version of the same game every year? I'm also refering to the NBA and NHL, or any other sporting game. I have no intention of getting the 2011 versions, but as I get better and look towards online play, I don't want to be standing in an online room, looking for a game saying, "Where is everyone?"

I hope I was clear enough
Same question I have............ thanks for asking.

I'm picking up my PS3 later this week from Bestbuy and am in debate about MLB The Show. Do I get MLB10 for $30 or get MLB11 for $60 (or possibly less if its on sale). Being my first PS3, either one will blow me away with the graphics and game play, so I think cheaper one, then I think, we not start with the best. I have a friend with MLB10 so if the online play is still available after 11 comes out, we could play which would be cool.

Madden is interesting with the likely lockout. EA sports is obviously concerned as they've extended their deal one year through 2013.
Old 02-16-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would get the upcoming version of The Show. It looks like this is a year in which they were more active about improving the game. For example, they have new controls for pitching and hitting using the analog sticks, some new challenges, a co-op mode, and Move support for Home Run Derby. And if you want to play online at all, you would be strongly advised to get the new version.

As for cost, Amazon may have a credit or something to knock off $10 which would help.
Old 02-16-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I would weigh in what new features they add in the new version, and probably decide how much online play means. I've skipped years where I didn't think they added much, and bought in consecutive years when they have. I had NBA 2K10, but bought 2K11 because of the Jordan stuff and the improvements in My Player mode which made it worth it to me.
Old 02-17-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm a sucker for all sports games -- so I get them year after year but rarely find the time to play them. My plan is to only get The Show 11 this year and wait to see what Madden has to offer.
Old 02-17-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get many sports games, but if I do, I usually buy old. That said, I like NHL10 so much that I upgraded to 11 already.
Old 02-17-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I buy every year for the sports games I play.
Don't they shut down the servers for the previous years version once they release a new version of a game?
Old 02-17-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy NCAA Football every year. Sometimes Madden.

Tiger Woods, Baseball and Basketball titles I generally play a year behind everyone else. I just don't play them enough to warrant a full price purchase, and I can get them super cheap when the newest one comes out.
Old 02-17-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I end up buying NCAA Football every year also - though I always say I will pass. I had bought The Show 2 years in a row before passing on last year - might pick it up this year.
Old 02-17-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrestling games, I usually just buy them all. However, for other sports such as basketball, football...I probably average 1 every 2-3 years. It is very hard for me personally to justify buying a new sports game when I can modify the rosters I want to for the most part.
Old 02-17-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I buy NHL and The Show every year. I only ever regret The Show.

It's just so pretty... and oooh, that's a really great feature. Wait, what do you mean I've lost all my statistics? Okay, let's play some online. Hey this works really well.... what? What the fuck was that? The pitcher didn't even wind up and he apparently through a pitch?

That said, I'll buy The Show again. [sucker]Maybe this is finally the year that awesomeness overcomes the bugs.[/sucker]

I bought my first basketball game (2K11) since NCAA something or other. I've completely given up on football franchises unless someone brings back Mutant League Football.
Old 02-17-11, 06:32 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The only sports games I buy regularly are the NHL series from EA. I tend to buy them every year.
Old 02-18-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I buy NHL and The Show every year. I only ever regret The Show.

It's just so pretty... and oooh, that's a really great feature. Wait, what do you mean I've lost all my statistics? Okay, let's play some online. Hey this works really well.... what? What the fuck was that? The pitcher didn't even wind up and he apparently through a pitch?

That said, I'll buy The Show again. [sucker]Maybe this is finally the year that awesomeness overcomes the bugs.[/sucker]

I bought my first basketball game (2K11) since NCAA something or other. I've completely given up on football franchises unless someone brings back Mutant League Football.
+1 on The Show. I'm, of course, buying this years version because I freaking love baseball. I'm just hoping that the major bugs are fixed this year. I'd rather it be ugly and functional than pretty and broken. Maybe 2k11 will good?
Old 02-18-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Just FIFA for me as I have 10 and 11 however, I did skip the World Cup version (South Africa) and might pick it up when is cheaper here in Canada.
Old 02-18-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I buy ncaa and nhl every year. I used to buy Madden as well, but I have skipped the last 2 years and don't really miss it.
Old 02-18-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My kids make me buy the new Madden every year but I usually lag a good three years or so behind on the other sports (hoops, hockey, golf baseball, etc.). That way I can get them for around 5 bucks and since I don't play sports games online I don't really care that I'm behind the curve.
Old 02-18-11, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump
My kids make me buy the new Madden every year but I usually lag a good three years or so behind on the other sports (hoops, hockey, golf baseball, etc.). That way I can get them for around 5 bucks and since I don't play sports games online I don't really care that I'm behind the curve.
Bought my first PS3 tonight.........

My first PS3 game purchase: NCAA 09 at Kmart for $5. Sweet....... last NCAA game I played was 08 on the PS2. I should be blown away by this look.

Next two purchases: NBA 2k11 this coming week from Best Buy for $29.99 and MLB11 The Show (whenever it goes on sale, hopefully release week, but I'll wait it out).

Right now my PS3 is updating for the initial setup, doesn't look like it will be quick either.
Old 02-18-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LostFan
Right now my PS3 is updating for the initial setup, doesn't look like it will be quick either.
Unfortunately, their network isn't very fast.
Old 02-18-11, 11:19 PM

I wonder if its possible to download the NCAA 09 rosters for free somewhere on the net. Most of what I see in my quick search now shows 11 rosters, some 10 but no 09.