Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TV help! Need some suggestions and answers on a future purchase...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV help! Need some suggestions and answers on a future purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-00, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at three models right now in my price range. All are 32" - which do you recommend?

1. Sharp 32N-S400 (w/1 tuner PIP)
2. Philips Magnavox TS3260C
3. RCA F32645

Also, how useful is the 1 tuner PIP? If I can't watch other cable channels at the same time, I don't see how great of a feature it could be. Thanks for the help guys,
vivarey

[This message has been edited by vivarey (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you ever used PIP? I have had numerous tv's with this feature and have never really used it. All it is, is a marketing gimmick! It is just as easy to switch between the two channels. I think many people will say the same thing.

I think with 1 tuner you need to hook up through a VCR to get the PIP!

If given only those 3 choices I would go with the Philips, but if you have a choice try looking at a Toshiba. They should be in the same price range and are a great value.
Old 09-12-00, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks jumbojp, i think i agree about the PIP. if all i can do is watch movies in the PIP, it is very useless to me.

would you say toshiba is better than philips?
Old 09-12-00, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by vivarey:
thanks jumbojp, i think i agree about the PIP. if all i can do is watch movies in the PIP, it is very useless to me.

would you say toshiba is better than philips?
<HR>

Look at Toshiba and Sony. Sony might be out of you're price range, but the Toshiba's should be within and make great TVs.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-12-00, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 32" Toshiba and love it. BTW, it has 2-tuner PIP and I use it all the time. I do agree that 1-tuner PIP is useless.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-13-00, 01:20 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to clarify, on a one tuner pip you can watch two cable channels at once, you just have to use the tuner in your vcr for one of them, and the tuner in your tv for the other. When I was shopping for a tv a couple months ago, I decided to go with the Sony Wega 27" instead of a 32" by a lesser brand. First it saved me from buying a larger entertainment center, and secondly the jump in picture quality was amazing. If you don't absolutely have to have a 32", i.e. you sit pretty close to the tv, I would recommend checking it out. More bang for the buck IMHO.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 09-13-00, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

joshhinkle, do you mean that i would have to change the channel on the vcr in order to change it on the PIP, or is it possible to change PIP channels even when the vcr is off? sorry about my lack of knowledge on this, i'm not very familiar with tuners and PIPs.

ALSO, i have discovered toshibas are not available to me. with this in mind, would you recommend the SHARP or PHILIPS model?

vivarey
Old 09-13-00, 02:51 PM
Retired

You would have to change the channel in one of the windows through the vcr and the other through the tv. Make sure to ask about this though, I'm just going by what a friend told me about his one-tuner pip. As for brand reccomendation Maybe check Panasonic if you can't afford a Toshiba or a 27" Wega. I've heard bad things about Phillips and Sharp. They are basically cheap consumer level telivisions. A 32" Panasonic is probably only $50-100 more than a 27" Sharp or Phillips and it is money well spent. I have a 20" Panasonic in the bedroom and it is a great tv. It was my dvd tv until I got my 27" Wega and I was satisfied with it other than being to small. However if your liminted to Sharp and Phillips, I go with the Phillips myself. I haven't heard as many bad things about them as I have about Sharp products.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited September 13, 2000).]
Old 09-13-00, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thought i would put a couple links to more info about the 2 models i'm looking at:
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26
http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...61,372,00.html
Old 09-13-00, 03:02 PM
Retired

Did some checking and Sears has aPanasonic 32" for $549 and another Panasonic 32" for $599 which adds more inputs plus a component input which is a plus for dvd's. I tried to cut and paste direct links, but it won't work, so for more info just go to www.sears.com and click on Electronics, then Home Theater, the TV's and you can have it show you all the 32" TV's they have. I reccomend these over the Sharp or the Phillips, and they are only $50 and $100 over the Phillips in the link you provided. They have a JVC 32" for $599 that may be worth checking into.

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited September 13, 2000).]
Old 09-13-00, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the info - the reason i am locked into the few models i mentioned is because i am purchasing the tv through amazon, and i have a budget of 549. combine both of those factors, and my selection is limited. i know they might not be the best tvs out there, but there are a world better than my old RCA 19". the reason i am using amazon is because i have a bunch of saved GC's i am finally using.

now at least you dont think im crazy anymore!
vivarey